NEWS

[SR4] Matrix Interaction Clarification

• 5 Replies

Animethecat

• Newb
« on: <04-11-20/1703:39> »
Hello all. I'm new here, but not to shadowrun. I'm picking it up again after almost a decade to run for a group of friends interested. I've only got the core 4e books (SR4A, UW, SM, RC, AG, AR) and I am in no financial position to change that to either get more books for 4e or change editions. Also, I like 4e. I do have some questions though because as a player 9 years ago, I did not have any interest in the Matrix. Now as a GM, I have 2 players interested in Matrix heavy characters, so I've got to understand the fundamentals.

The link at the end of this paragraph is to a post I made on the Shadowrun subreddit, but I was not happy with the initial response (it... it was not friendly or constructive for the most part) AND it never hurts to post in multiple places to increase your surface area for response. The link to the thread is here.

I'm trying to make sure that I understand how Personas and Agents interact with each other, Programs, and Nodes. Here's my understanding:
  • Nodes. Nodes are any and everything that transmits wireless traffic. Nodes have four attributes, system, response, firewall, and signal. The system of a node restricts the number of programs running before degradation (processor limit), the max rating of programs that can be running (an Edit 6 program running on a System 4 node will only grant 4 dice to the dice pool for checks), and the system rating of the node your persona is in determines the system for your icon when it makes checks. Response can be degraded by every [system] programs running on the node, or more for nexus, to a minimum of 0. Signal determines how far away the wireless signal projects and is important for determining mutual signal range when that matters. Firewall is the standard defense of the node against exploits and other negative programs/actions. Programs are run on nodes.
  • Personas.Personas are the firmware representation of your identity. Personas are responsible for projecting icons and interpreting the data they return in to information that can be delivered to you through your simrig. Personas operate in a specific node and do not move, they project icons which are what move and interact with the matrix. Your persona is loaded with software. Personas have a subscription limit equal to their system x2. A persona's system rating is equal to the node it is jacked in to.
  • Programs.Programs are how Icons interact with the matrix. They are logical processes that run and deliver information to the icon running them. Programs are loaded on to personas and agents. Any number of programs can be loaded on to a persona or agent. Programs run on nodes. Each program running on a node counts towards the processor limit of the node on which it is running. The rating of the program determines how many dice are added to the dice pool of a matrix check. Program ratings are limited by the system of the node they are running on. You must have the correct privileges associated with your account in order to run programs on a node (none for public, limited for user, lenient for security, all for Admin). Each icon (persona icon or agent icon) must have a separate instance of a program running to use it, and that program must be dedicated for that icon's use.
  • Agents.Agents are complex programs that are capable of semi-autonomous activity. They can operate in a supporting capacity to the persona when run in the same node as the persona, or they can act independent of the persona in different nodes. Agents have ratings, like programs, that determine their pilot attribute, which in turn drives their skills, firewall, and system ratings. Just like with all programs, the rating of an agent is limited by the node they are running on. When operating in the same node as the persona, agents do not count against a Persona's subscription rating. When operating in a different node than your persona, they do. The agent program, and any program they run, count against the processor limit of the node that they, and the other programs, are running on. Programs do not run on agents. An agent on a node with system 4, response 4 could run 2 programs without reducing the response of the node. Agents inherit their response from the node they are running in, so reducing the response of the node they are running in reduces their own response, and thusly their virtual initiative. Agents operating in the same node as your persona can assist you in any node that you are accessing and inherit your access ID to do so, so an agent running on your commlink (where your persona is) can be given a command to run programs in the node you're accessing for you, and then designate them for your use. Conversely, an agent operating in a node different from your icon can't do this, however you can still give it commands or even control it as a rigger would a drone.

I think that's everything I think I know about how those interact. Please help me identify how correct/incorrect I am with actual points other than "don't use agents". I see their validity in the Matrix as much as I see the validity for spirits, sprites, and drones in the astral, matrix, an physical spaces and I want to make sure that my players have all the options (so that I have all of the options as a GM) available to them.

Much thanks in advance.
In my example combat in the reddit link, I think I made a few errors.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-12-20/0859:01> »
I'm just responding to let you know you are not being ignored... at least by me.

I think you have it right, but to be honest I really really don't like they eaycthe matrix operated in 4e ... especially agents ... so I never used it.

Once you get past the toxicity of the environment tonydiethelm is the current "leading expert" on 4e that is active here or on reddit .. so he is probably your best source for this sort of thing.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Animethecat

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-12-20/1441:14> »
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I don't expect waves of people coming to talk about a version of the system from two versions ago. I don't think 4e has the same kind of cult following that D&D 3.5 had (and pathfinder), so lack of response is to be expected I suppose.

Unfortunately, if Tonydiethelm is the "leading expert" on 4e... I'm just going to swiftly exit the online 4e community. Flying in as the second response to a post with profanity that didn't help, not answering the question of the thread, and then proceeding to be upset at me when I called out that fact... I don't want anything to do with a community who has that as the "leading expert". It's a shame too, because in that same thread there was Selrian who did help, as well as ghost49x. Both of them responded in constructive, helpful, and direct ways, to which I responded in kind and a constructive discourse was had.

Like I said, I appreciate you responding, but one bad egg has kind of soured the whole lot for me.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-12-20/1515:22> »
Oh I understand your predicament quite well and personally avoid the reddit community like the plague because of the toxic personalities over there and put "leading expert" in quite on purpose. It is only because he is the most vocal and recognized as such by his brethren over there. I wish you good luck and happy hunting in finding a source for your questions. You might eventually get someone here it would probably take some hunting to find 4e specific community elsewhere.  Maybe even Facebook.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-12-20/1517:14> »
Shadowrunner's Union is a FB group with thousands of members.  It's edition agnostic- you're bound to find fans quite knowledgeable on 4e/4a there.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <04-12-20/1628:39> »
And while they do have quite a bit of anti-SR6 hostility there, it's still not at the reddit level.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!