NEWS

What to wear when it's hot out?

• 41 Replies

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <12-04-12/1122:16> »
You can wear whatever armor you want. Just drink water. Lots of it.

Kat9

« Reply #31 on: <12-05-12/1116:15> »
Armor Clothes with Carbon-Boron, Delta-Amyloid and Kevlar Threading. Vitals protector, maybe  a Form-fitting Shirt.

If my numbers are right that'd be a 14/5 with side order of cheddar cheese.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <12-05-12/1130:40> »
forgive me for stating the obvious, but how about this from arsenal?

Desert Suit: An advanced version of a diving wetsuit, the
sandwiched layers of this suit help to cool the body through heat
dissipation while the refl ective outer surface protects from the sun’s
heat. A hood, facemask, and skin-tight seal keep the
wearer protected from sand. Th e polarizing eye
shield neutralizes glare modifi ers. Th e suit even
captures and distills some of the wearer’s body
fl uids, holding the water in pockets to be drunk
with a straw. Desert Suits cannot be worn with
armor or anything but loose, non-restrictive
clothing, as it impedes the suit’s heat
sinks from working properly. A character
wearing a desert suit receives an additional
+2 dice pool modifi er to desert
Survival Tests (see p. 118, SR4).

<snip>

It's a still-suit from Dune, but shiny.  Good idea.  The only downside is that it doesn't actually provide any armor, can't be worn with armor and turns you into a shiny mylar target in open terrain.
Great if you're lost in the desert, less-so if you're being shot at in the desert.  Given which is the more likely scenario for a Shadowrunner...

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #33 on: <12-06-12/1017:06> »
Yup, very true! It does say you can wear it with loose fitting clothing, so if your GM is cool with it, buy some special clothing and chuck some delat/kevlar/carbon threading through it.
In the desert, dying of thirst is probably your primary concern, which is what i guess you're most likely to encounter walking through the sand dunes than heavily armed corpsec
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <12-06-12/1418:20> »
I could see form-fitting being okay for desert wear. It's mostly semi-rigid sections with non-ballistic fabric in between, right? Easy enough to use a breathable mesh fabric like modern BMX armor. Sure it would get sweaty, and maybe a little smelly where the armored sections are, but I doubt it would be unbearable.
Not nearly as much as you would think. Systems like this were proposed with an increasing amount of detail as far back as Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers (what movie? You speak heresy). It's been expanded on in later sci-fi, and based on the reading I've done on various powered exosuit armor and other heavy-infantry projects I think we're only a few years away from it being deployed now, with the cost-per-soldier being the only real issue (and most of that not even the cost of manufacture, just infrastructure/distribution).

I'd say "cool idea" but I'm afraid someone would throw something at me.
*throws a slushie*

I guess there's really not much need for me to mention the likelihood of armor modified for extreme environments. If it can be done cheaply and at low availability for weapons, why not (if at higher availability) for armor?

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <12-07-12/0716:15> »
There are a few vest type systems in development or available to be worn under body armor and maintain and conformable core temperature in hot environs while wearing body armor. Simple ones basically just hold gel or ice packs, while others use forced air or thermometric cooling. Seems like something that would be around in Shadowrun, just hang radiator panels on your back outside the armor and your good to go.

Failing all else? There is always just being hot and drinking plenty of water, humans tolerate high heat  well.

Relic_Zero

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <01-15-13/2003:43> »
Carbon-Boron, Delta-Amyloid and Kevlar Threading.

What are those mods and where are they located?  I have seen soft weave in WAR, but that's it.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <01-15-13/2125:38> »
They're in Attitude ... I'd question stackability.
If you haven't gone through that, you're also missing out on holowear and a bunch of other stuff.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <01-15-13/2220:30> »
I'd say FFBA should be fine provided you don't go over level 2.   (level 1 always struck me as something like a wetsuit vest... level 2 like wetsuit vest plus wetsuit shorts in terms of coverage).   It wouldn't shock me if FFBA on it's own could be made to look like a swimsuit.

Really... FFBA2 (+3/+1, +1/+0 encumbrance).   On top of a softweave armored vest (6/4.. 4/4 encumbrance).   Is going to be plenty for all those average body types... and you can wear it under shorts and a shirt without raising any issues.

9/5 armor with only 5/4 worth of encumbrance... leaving a little more space for more.

No I don't think you can stack up all those things from attitude.   The best multirole clothing you're going to get is the carbon boron at +1/+2 over armor clothing at 4/0 for 5/2 final.   The delta stacks on a bit too much ballistic for comfort at 7/1 if you're trying to cover both bases.

This is also a good case for PPP gear... wear the normal lighter armor... then quickly put on some hockey pad type armor when you need it.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #39 on: <01-21-13/1828:25> »
Isn't clothing supposed to expand/contract or vent/trap heat based on your body temperature, even change colour? I don't see how any armour you take would be exempt from this rule. Wear some Form Fitting Body Armour, and the desert survival suit with snakemesh socks.  Make sure your survival suit has Ruthenium polymer coating on it or just wear some loose fitting white cotton clothes over your FFBA instead if the survival suit is too pricy.

In all honesty I don't see how your everyday (Battle)Dress would limit you in some way, it's just that the desert suit and gear help in the given circumstance. Just take the Desert Survival Kit, tent, and thermal air bag, and a couple extra canteens.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <01-22-13/1421:35> »
Clothing is designed to be comfortable first, and protect the wearer second. Armor is designed first to protect the wearer, and second to allow comfort. Sometimes that's a distant second. Always has been, always will be. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2074 there's good advances to making armor more comfortable even for longer periods, but weapons and the things armor has to protect you from have also advanced. As a matter of function no armor (except possibly climate-controlled armor suits) will be more comfortable than clothing which is designed to be comfortable even for long-term wear.

I've worn armor of various types for hours on end, and I can tell you this from first-hand experience: it's more comfy than bullets if you're being shot at, but in pretty much all other circumstances it becomes increasingly uncomfortable the longer you wear it in conditions of heat (hot or cold), moisture (rain, humidity), etc.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #41 on: <01-22-13/1731:29> »
I don't doubt your experience, but with the advanced fabrics and memory metals of shadowrun I'm sure that the bottleneck for comfort and protection has been probably been drastically mitigated if not all together bypassed. I mean, when I used to do long distance dirtbike riding I'd be in the full suit from dawn till dusk, and at worst the heat was a nuisance, so long as I kept drinking water, and that's with technology from 10 years ago.

I should hope that carbon nanotubes and other complex ballistic weave armours have become as light weight as that rig by 2070. After all, if it's not comfortable enough to wear it won't protect you. Of course, bullet resistant armour is going to be denser than the plastic, mylar, and nylon that I wore, but I doubt they're nearly as heavy and rigid as the titanium ceramic NXRA armour we have today.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!