NEWS

Aaaaaaand we're back

• 158 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #60 on: <01-08-18/1705:40> »
Yea, there appears to be a corrupted file or structure to the webpage that is causing the crash for the last few times.

So, no idea if other people are seeing this message, but I went ahead and wrote it down this time to share (just in case that helps somehow). When the forums have been down the last several times I have been seeing just a single line of text instead of the page loading:

Code: [Select]
Table './shadow_23r98uysdhj/smf_messages' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
Hope somebody in the higher-ups can do something with that to help fix the problem...

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #61 on: <01-08-18/1822:20> »
That is the same message I get as well.

They ("web guys") have been trying to address the issue, but (obviously), no luck so far.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <01-10-18/1306:32> »
Maybe it is time for some new web guys?

&#24525;

« Reply #63 on: <01-10-18/1840:49> »
But that costs money :p

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <01-11-18/0919:10> »
But that costs money :p

They can take it out of what they pay their current web guys.

Or hell, I'm certain there are plenty of fans who would be willing and able to maintain a simple website and forum for free or get paid in product.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <01-11-18/1646:25> »
snip
Or hell, I'm certain there are plenty of fans who would be willing and able to maintain a simple website and forum for free or get paid in product.
I mean we, the community, already sub for the editing/copy, and PR departments, why not IT too?

&#24525;

« Reply #66 on: <01-12-18/1611:52> »
CGL: the people's company. *Where you make your own products*

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <01-12-18/1657:17> »
CGL: the people's company. *Where you make your own products*

They'd probably be better. *glares at non-insect insect spirits in the newest release*

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #68 on: <01-12-18/1708:28> »
Okay, we can cut it off now.

Like to volunteer for the time to do all this stuff without pay, step forward. No one here is getting paid for the forums, and we do it out of love for the game. If you're more inclined to bad mouth developers and freelancers, you can do it elsewhere. If this thread just continues to be complaints, I can lock it down.

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #69 on: <01-12-18/1925:07> »
Ok, I'm a total layman in technical stuff, but what is the biggest barrier to redoing the forum and updating the webpage. I don't want to make accusations, or being snarky, I just don't understand why a company publishing one of the longest-running, well-known and popular games can't do it, while infinitely smaller companies can do it. Would it really cost that much money?
If nothing worked, let's think!

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <01-12-18/1925:36> »
Excuse me for thinking if it is going to be done it should be done well. And on that topic I will be happy to assist with the forums. Feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: <01-12-18/1928:51> by ShadowcatX »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #71 on: <01-12-18/1935:22> »
It might not be a case of money, but of people and time. Many people are under the impression Catalyst is some huge company and makes money hand over fist....

In reality, I think the company is actually really small (maybe a half dozen fulltime people) and most of the revenue/assets are tied up in inventory and warehouse space.
Game companies are not multi-million dollar operations anymore as tabletops is a dying industry for many reasons.

Nothing stops someone from opening a fansite forum if they so choose (dumpshock).
« Last Edit: <01-13-18/0400:10> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #72 on: <01-13-18/0857:56> »
Is it me or the number of posted messages has been significantly reduced since the forum started to be unstable? (I mean, only taking into account days where the forum is up)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #73 on: <01-13-18/0929:35> »
It might not be a case of money, but of people and time. Many people are under the impression Catalyst is some huge company and makes money hand over fist....

In reality, I think the company is actually really small (maybe a half dozen fulltime people) and most of the revenue/assets are tied up in inventory and warehouse space.
Game companies are not multi-million dollar operations anymore as tabletops is a dying industry for many reasons.

Nothing stops someone from opening a fansite forum if they so choose (dumpshock).
Quoted For Truth

Is it me or the number of posted messages has been significantly reduced since the forum started to be unstable? (I mean, only taking into account days where the forum is up)
I'm unsure if the numbers dropping are because of people not coming back, or if it's because of the amount of days we were down. It's true that we've dropped considerably the last two years, but I also know even strong forums sometimes go through cycles of inactivity.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <01-13-18/1353:13> »
I can only speak for myself, but the instability of the forum certainly has discouraged my participation over the last two months. Especially the pbp crowd has moved to dumpshock and similar fora.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex