NEWS

[SR5] Magical Lodge

• 23 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <05-14-18/0407:36> »
I'm opening this thread again because I have a follow up question. If one deploys a temporary lodge, how long this temporary ones last? Can you use it 'as long as you want' (and for instance do 3 rituals with it in a row)? That seems counter intuitive, however, I did not see (in core SR5) any limitation about that...

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-14-18/0514:13> »
Quote from: Core Rulebook pg. 317
Temporary Magical Lodge: You can create a temporary magical lodge by spending a number of drams of reagents equal to Force of the lodge. The lodge takes one hour per point of Force to create and thereafter lasts until sunrise or sunset, whichever comes first.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <05-14-18/0515:01> »
oh darn, my eyes passed over the "lasts until sunrise or sunset'! Thanks!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-14-18/0522:18> »
Hum, it also means, there is an implicit limit of Force 12 to a temporary lodge - assuming you can assemble it in a way to finish just after dawn/dusk.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #19 on: <05-14-18/0844:17> »
Not if you go far enough towards the poles ...
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <05-14-18/0851:02> »
:D

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <05-14-18/0920:48> »
Note the word thereafter. You could start it so that you finish assembling it only minutes after sunrise and that is fine, it will end at sunset.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #22 on: <05-14-18/1236:39> »

Needed no. But you can only use it if you have a space specific to the skill, which means the only way I know of to get +2 dice pool outside of character creation and Foci is "Special Work Area". Since a magic lodge is the only way to apply that to magic they are connected. If your looking at ways to increase your dicepool then magic lodge has an added ability thought "Special Work Area" to do that for you. While yes it is a specific location. When considering the beifits of a magic lodge that is a consideration of note.

I'm pretty sure that the special work area adds +2 to the limit, not the dice pool.  (I'd made the same mis-reading at first).  Also I seem to recall that it will only apply to one skill (so you could have a summoning work area -- probably a summoning circle -- but you'd need a second work area if you also wanted that bonus for ritual casting, etc.

Still worth it in many cases, especially for summoning and alchemy which you are often doing ahead of time.

(a few days later) Finally looked up the rule, and:
- the +2 is to limit, not dice pool.  But
- what is covered is more nebulous.  The work in CRB page 374 is "Skill checks relevant to the setting." I've interpreted this as generally being one skill, but really this could be broader than one skill, but could also be limited to less than a full skill.  I.E. a workshop for hand-loading ammo and modifying guns probably wouldn't support some other uses of the armory skill, but a workshop for printing, engraving, etc might help both some uses of forgery and some uses of artisan.

But I would not grant it a bonus on all magic.  Magicians don't need that much help, there I'd apply it to one skill -- but that is me, not hard and fast RAW.
« Last Edit: <05-15-18/2201:20> by Beta »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <05-18-18/0634:27> »
My personal solution for applying the Special Work Area bonus to magical things is treating it as a background count (Rating 2). Essentially, taking Special Work Area for your lifestyle is applying the costs of maintaining the magical juice to sustain a small background.

Back in 4th edition they had something similar (Feng Shui) which worked very similarly...