NEWS

Scaling up the Faraday Pocket

• 7 Replies

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« on: <12-31-16/1709:30> »
I recently noticed to my delight that Hard Targets in 5e has rules for faraday-cage pockets as upgrades to armor. For ¥50, 7R, and 1 capacity, one can get a faraday-caged/shielded bag large enough to totally sever a commlink from the matrix while it's inside.

Now, I would like to scale this up to bigger bags. What kind of price and availability would be fitting for a shielded backpack, messenger bag, or duffel bag? How about one of the armored body bags from Run&Gun (body bag armor, or Ares PED), to minimize the risk of knives or bullets breaking the faraday cage?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <12-31-16/2030:41> »
There's Fresnel Fabric in Run & Gun that does the job; as an armour upgrade, you place it on the Body Armour Bag and it works just peachy. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <12-31-16/2248:20> »
That isn't how Fresnel Fabric works at all.

It does the opposite of Faraday & improve reception to a device by cutting through noise.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-31-16/2257:11> »
Hardly a perfect example, but there is a Non-Standard Form Commlink from Datatrails that has a Faraday Cage sized compartment large enough to hold a Pistol & its a whopping $11,000 if that gives you some cost idea of scaling up.  Its a crappy commlink too so most the price is the scaling I'd think.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-01-17/0001:58> »
Hardly a perfect example, but there is a Non-Standard Form Commlink from Datatrails that has a Faraday Cage sized compartment large enough to hold a Pistol & its a whopping $11,000 if that gives you some cost idea of scaling up.  Its a crappy commlink too so most the price is the scaling I'd think.

The Evotech Himitsu appears to have device rating 2, sleaze 5, data processing 1, firewall 2, non-standard form, and the faraday cage is in some kind of hidden smuggling compartment. It does scale up the container size slightly (to light pistol level from holdout level), so this could be an extra data point if we can pick it apart.

I'm completely out of my depth in teasing apart this item's cost. It's like sony emperor commlink (rating 2, ¥700), the non-standard form seems pretty straightforward (just increase the cost by 20% at the end), a smuggling compartment could be the same as the cyber-implant version (¥7,000) assuming this commlink has 2 capacity for it, but then there are all these cyberdeck attributes and I have absolutely no idea where that comes from. But then the smuggling compartment might be totally covered by non-standard form.

So, if the smuggling compartment is covered by non-standard form, then the faraday cage should be (¥11,000*0.833) - ¥700 - [cyberdeck attributes], simplifying to 8466 minus the extra attributes.

If the smuggling compartment is like the cyber implant and not the non-standard form, it's (¥11,000*0.833) - ¥700 - ¥7,000 - [attributes], which simplifies to about 1466 minus the extra attributes' cost.
« Last Edit: <01-01-17/0007:35> by Slipperychicken »

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #5 on: <01-01-17/0309:03> »

It does the opposite of Faraday & improve reception to a device by cutting through noise.

My bad, I was quoting from memory and got a little mixed up.  I meant Universal Mirror Material. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <01-13-17/1124:29> »
mylar bags are disposable, cheap, easily available and effective

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-14-17/1453:00> »

My bad, I was quoting from memory and got a little mixed up.  I meant Universal Mirror Material. 

Ah ha.   Now that is different for sure.

I think that would work, maybe not 100% based on the rules for Faraday pocket v/s Universal Mirror Material but make more difficult for sure.

So getting back to the OP question.

The Body-Armor-Bag is a lot smaller than the Ares-PED.

Ones a medium sized duffel, the other holds a full person.

So going the Ares-PED route,  a standard body bag is 36*90 inches or 91*229 cm for a total internal area of 4.2 square meters, we'll round up to 5 for tailoring cuts.

If we assume max Rating-6 for the UMM for char-gen you get a $7500 boost to the cost of the PED, for a total of $10K

For this you get a +12 Noise penalty to anything stuffed in the bag.

I guess the question is, how large an item are you trying to stick in there?

The Body Armor Bag would be fine for holding a captured Cyberdeck, but not an unconscious Decker.

If your trying to actually line a cyberware smuggling compartment you can probably get away with only 1 square meter of the cloth, but in turn your only holding small pistol.