NEWS

SR6 Paralyzing Touch

• 3 Replies

Johberion

• Newb
« on: <10-24-20/1435:28> »
Hoi chummers!
I have a question about Paralyzing Touch. My players fought a petrophage in Free Seattle and it scored a scary good hit against the group's adept with six net hits, instantly putting him out of action. The errata says the touch attack causes stilled, but it doesn't say for how long (just duration: special), and neither does stilled. Have I missed something, and if so, what page? Just to keep the game moving, we ruled that it was a toxin which the antidote spell could take care of.
« Last Edit: <10-24-20/1451:42> by Johberion »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-24-20/1522:26> »
This might be relevant:

SR5 p. Paralyzing Howl
This effect lasts for (Magic + net hits) Combat Turns.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-25-20/0211:54> »
When a status doesn't have a set duration, it lasts however long the GM thinks it should.  It's kind of a mirror to who gets circumstantial Edge... weigh factors in favor of each party and then make a decision.

That being said, Xenon's suggestion to use 5e's duration can work if you want it to!
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Johberion

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-25-20/0233:30> »
Thanks! Both are good suggestions. Since the petrophage is a rather powerful creature and there were a couple of petrified people at the scene, having the effect last as long as the monster lives works too from a story standpoint.