NEWS

Errata: Dawn of the Artifacts 3

• 3 Replies

Bradd

• Omae
« on: <01-08-11/1201:39> »
Quote from: p. 39
Information on the system is unencrypted and shows carbon dating that confirms the temples were built around 10,000 B.C. There are comments connecting that date with events from that same period, including the destruction of Atlantis in 9,564 B.C. and the earliest use of pottery in Japan.

This is inconsistent with Humans & the Cycle of Magic, which establishes the destruction of Atlantis as occurring on August 12, 3113 B.C. – in fact, the 9,564 B.C. date is during the Third world, during the low-magic cycle and before Atlantis ever rose to power in the first place.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-11/2118:11> »
Quote from: p. 39
Information on the system is unencrypted and shows carbon dating that confirms the temples were built around 10,000 B.C. There are comments connecting that date with events from that same period, including the destruction of Atlantis in 9,564 B.C. and the earliest use of pottery in Japan.

This is inconsistent with Humans & the Cycle of Magic, which establishes the destruction of Atlantis as occurring on August 12, 3113 B.C. – in fact, the 9,564 B.C. date is during the Third world, during the low-magic cycle and before Atlantis ever rose to power in the first place.

I haven't read the source, so I'm not sure on the temple we're referring to.

However back to Earthdawn timelines, is there anything prohibiting temples being built in the 3rd word? We build temples now in the 5th age, without any magic to guide it. Why not back in the 3rd (which already had marvels that completely blitz the 'accepted' technological capabilities of the time.

ie, in the 'real' world, this is possibly the oldest known observatory (10,000'ish years is the best estimate to date)

Nothing wrong with throwing it all out the window for the sake of a little thematics :)

Or, am I completely getting the error wrong, and you're discussing just the date inconsistencies with the fall of Atlantis?
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-14-11/1357:42> »
That's correct. The date might be reasonable for the "temples" (which are actually pyramids), but it's inconsistent with canon regarding Atlantis. On a related note, some of the text confusingly refers to a "Temple Pyramid" when they are all temples. If I recall correctly, it should be "Earth Temple" instead.

Oh and FYI, this forum is supposed to be for errata reports; there's a separate forum for discussion.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <02-14-11/1917:16> »
Oh and FYI, this forum is supposed to be for errata reports; there's a separate forum for discussion.

Duly clarified and noted :D
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law