NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #165 on: <07-21-13/1630:29> »
Can you point me to this jackBNimble? I fail to recall anything about it.

The JackBNimble program was bequeathed to Captain Chaos by Dunkelzahn when he died, and the Captain never managed to break the encryption on the file. In 2065, the assault of the Jormungand worm shredded the encryption on the file and caused it to activate, "saving" Captain Chaos and others who were dying in the Matrix. The current whereabouts of JackBNimble are unknown.
As a program, JackBNimble has no physical representation. In the Matrix, it has only been seen as a shadow. The JackBNimble program appears to be at least as complicated as a semi-autonomous knowbot, and appears to be able to "save" deckers as files - which, under certain circumstances, can appear to "wake up."

Now lets say just for a moment that some how this program got infected by a virus. With it's ability to pull peoples minds from there bodies. What if it does this but also now has the ability to put something in a body from the matrix ?

As far as I understood it, most ports are configured for two way traffic so if you can download you should be able to upload... The other point it that if you can forcibly "save" a personality, I'm sure you can also replace it... It's something that would have to be so your surviving test subjects don't give you away.
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #166 on: <08-02-13/1412:08> »
Since we're talking about nanotechnology and D's will, how about this one:

To the corporations and governments of the world, I leave the formula for an infant vaccination that should be administered to all children born after 31 October 2060.

I have no idea if anything from this has been resolved, but it seems like a potential thing to me.

Deltaomega

• Newb
« Reply #167 on: <08-02-13/1457:20> »
Since we're talking about nanotechnology and D's will, how about this one:

To the corporations and governments of the world, I leave the formula for an infant vaccination that should be administered to all children born after 31 October 2060.

I have no idea if anything from this has been resolved, but it seems like a potential thing to me.

I don't think it's likely. Guys like Fastjack that are infected were around long before the 2060 date.

As for speculation from my end. I suspect someone is trying to shove E-Ghosts into people. Or at the very least their personalities.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #168 on: <08-02-13/1534:16> »
Did we let one techomancer get to powerful ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #169 on: <08-02-13/2103:55> »
This is so far beyond Puck, if that is who you are hinting at Basic.

And the fact that Jack was there BEFORE the beginning date could explain why he has the virus. Everyone before that date would be at risk if they've undergone whatever treatments tend to trigger it.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #170 on: <08-03-13/2321:12> »
I just had a sort of epiphany moment while thinking about the 2050s and Shadowrun 4th Ed missions when Mecurial sprung to my mind.

Am I correct that I remember reading about her having a dis-associative personality disorder. And shes well known for her 'ware. Maybe it wasn't just BTLs.

Or the Sybil Virus is spawned from BTL code.
« Last Edit: <08-03-13/2332:08> by Chrona »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #171 on: <08-07-13/1448:54> »
AFAIK, Mercurial's split personalities happened from long term BTL abuse (as well as a few personal tragedies). While it is possible that Sybil originated from BTL code somewhere, I don't think it would be connected to Maria Mercurial, or we would have heard about it a long time go. Afterall, there's been beetleheads in the shadows for decades now, and this is clearly different from anything we've seen to this point. Now, if dissonant sprites got hold of BTL code to try and become inhabitation sprites...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Dragonslayer

• Chummer
« Reply #172 on: <08-07-13/1455:45> »
I don't know if I've posted this before or not, but...

...having read Stormfront, I get the nagging suspicion that someone let Captain Chaos out of his box, and he's rather pissed at what's happen in his absence.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #173 on: <08-07-13/1553:41> »
I don't know if I've posted this before or not, but...

...having read Stormfront, I get the nagging suspicion that someone let Captain Chaos out of his box, and he's rather pissed at what's happen in his absence.

What makes you think that?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Eremitic Fool

• Newb
« Reply #174 on: <08-07-13/1556:35> »
I've always figured Cap'n Chaos and the e-ghost brigade would eventually make a comeback. Would make some sense with the personality changes, one mind with many consciousnesses. It would also add another degree of danger, never knowing who you might bring back from the Matrix.

In a semi-related note, is Eliohann still a veggie hooked up to life support? I remember he and Celedyr had a close relationship, and it wouldn't surprise me if the techno-wyrm has been working on a way to bring him back.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #175 on: <08-07-13/1639:49> »
AFAIK, Mercurial's split personalities happened from long term BTL abuse (as well as a few personal tragedies). While it is possible that Sybil originated from BTL code somewhere, I don't think it would be connected to Maria Mercurial, or we would have heard about it a long time go. Afterall, there's been beetleheads in the shadows for decades now, and this is clearly different from anything we've seen to this point. Now, if dissonant sprites got hold of BTL code to try and become inhabitation sprites...
Yeah like i said I know it was known to be from BTL abuse but its the nearest thing we have pre-sybil so i just thought it might be similar.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #176 on: <08-07-13/1647:50> »
Actually, the closest thing I've seen to what Sybil seems to be doing is Insect Spirits inhabiting their host. At least originally, the bugs required their host to be prepped for them, and took some time to fully assert control, during which time the victim was 'coccooned'. If we look at what Sybil is doing, the process of 'overwriting' the host seems similar to how Inhabitation works. And some threats from the darker corners of the Resonance Realms would be fun.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #177 on: <08-07-13/1659:34> »
Ive read storm front but unless there's info in some book ive not read, or a fiction in 5th ed core ive not gotten to yet that tells us more, most of our info comes from how its effected Fastjack. While Search definitely seems to be trying to overwrite him, we dont know for certain it has the other infected, it might be acting differently. So I was just looking for characters with disassociative personalities all ready.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #178 on: <08-07-13/1749:48> »
Ive read storm front but unless there's info in some book ive not read, or a fiction in 5th ed core ive not gotten to yet that tells us more, most of our info comes from how its effected Fastjack. While Search definitely seems to be trying to overwrite him, we dont know for certain it has the other infected, it might be acting differently. So I was just looking for characters with disassociative personalities all ready.

There are a lot of inferences to be made from Lanier's datadump.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #179 on: <08-07-13/1757:33> »
There are a lot of inferences to be made from Lanier's datadump.

I guess i didn't infer as much as others, or I've forgotten. id ask what the main points are but i don't want to waste anyone's time.