NEWS

[SR5] How to defend against grenades

• 85 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <08-09-13/1158:46> »
Try using a non-wireless grenade.
If I'm reading the rules right only the person targeted gets to dodge so the decker standing 1 meter behind the troll gets hit for 15. The excessive damage puts them in the invisible sniper head shot gm jerkery range if I use it in a trap or ambush.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #76 on: <08-09-13/1203:42> »
But the grenade will only explode later, so everyone gets a chance to avoid it. The dodge test is merely to determine whether it hits or scatters.

I don't get the Airburst link statement you made somewhere, Xenon. All it says in the rules is reduced scatter.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #77 on: <08-09-13/1222:23> »
But the grenade will only explode later, so everyone gets a chance to avoid it. The dodge test is merely to determine whether it hits or scatters.

I don't get the Airburst link statement you made somewhere, Xenon. All it says in the rules is reduced scatter.

I'm assuming he meant using the airburst link as a hedge against not meeting the threshold test.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #78 on: <08-09-13/1257:30> »
* You still need to get 3 hits or it will scatter (but it will scatter less with an airburst link, 1d6 -2m at 1 hit and 1d6-4m at 2 hits. null scatter at 3 hits or more).
* The grenade will detonate when it is close to the target (even if mid-air)
* Airburst link will detonate all three grenades in the same complex action it take to fire them in a semi-automatic burst.
* If you detonate all of the grenades at the same initiative score it will count as a multiple simultaneous blast.
* According to Aaron targets does not (never) get to roll defense when you use a wireless trigger (even if not surprised), only roll to soak damage.

Airburst link p.431
This grenade/rocket launcher smartgun accessory uses a “smart” rangefinder to air-burst the explosive projectile at a point deemed to be both a safe distance from the launcher and within the closest possible proximity to the target. An airburst link reduces the scatter distance for a launched grenade by two meters per net hit instead of by one meter per hit (Determine Scatter, p. 182) when you use the wireless link trigger.
Wireless: An airburst link requires wireless functionality to function at all. Both the grenades and the launcher must have wireless mode turned on.

Multiple Simultaneous Blasts p.181
When multiple explosives detonate at once the effects are similar to those of a blast in a confined space (more chunky salsa). When two explosions occur on the same Combat Initiative Score and both blasts effect the same character add half the value of the lower DVs to the highest DV and apply it all as a single modified Damage Value for the purposes of Damage Resistance tests. For AP calculations, use the best AP and improve it by 1 for every additional explosion.

edit: I would not recommend walking around with a grenade launcher and wireless triggered grenades with wireless ON due to the risk of being hacked. And it will take quite a while to activate wireless on individual grenades one by one... So the overall usage might be limited -But when using it for an all out military assault or surprise where a hard to kill target just have to die in one combat turn? Hard to beat it really.
« Last Edit: <08-09-13/1310:02> by Xenon »

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #79 on: <08-09-13/1259:42> »
Point 4 is still a question pending isn't it?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #80 on: <08-09-13/1354:25> »
A jammer (4--available at chargen) means that a wireless grenade can't detonate within 10m of you, which would lead to some comic situations of live grenades bouncing off the wall right about the PC's heads and clattering by their feet.  Jammers aren't things you just walk around with activated, but might help.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #81 on: <08-09-13/1422:06> »
I do not see an explicit rule statement there that supports the claim that they explode midair in the same action. The only explicit rule statement there is that scatter is reduced.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <08-09-13/1504:15> »
I do not see an explicit rule statement there that supports the claim that they explode midair...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_burst

...in the same action.
Why would they not detonate in the same action phase.
You fire all grenades in the same action phase as one complex semi-automatic burst...
« Last Edit: <08-09-13/1534:11> by Xenon »

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #83 on: <08-09-13/1535:45> »
I like shock troop tactics, honestly. Have the Matrix / Mage scout the area out. Get all information humanly possible and stack the deck as much as possible and turn off their ability to call for help. If things go well? Put in an insurgent that uses stealth to complete the mission. If it fails, if stealth is not viable, or if the hacker is found out? Flip on your Jammers. Flip on your Flash Packs. Bust down the door and clear the rooms swat team style using nonlethal damage (Gel Rounds or Stick 'n' Shock depending on the level of competency, droidness, and nonconductivity of the enemy) and clearing out larger groups with Tear Gas, Smoke, and/or Flashbangs. High Explosive Grenade spam is saved for when/if they have a wireless tank for some reason. At the point of direct conflict, speed > subtlety, you're already in damage control.

If you're in a situation where you're in direct combat without Jammers and things stacked in your favor, its because someone screwed up or you were ambushed.

Now, mind you. Like any tactic this doesn't survive contact with the enemy, but it is my approach for when things cease to be subtle.

Psikerlord

• Omae
« Reply #84 on: <08-09-13/1844:16> »
A jammer (4--available at chargen) means that a wireless grenade can't detonate within 10m of you, which would lead to some comic situations of live grenades bouncing off the wall right about the PC's heads and clattering by their feet.  Jammers aren't things you just walk around with activated, but might help.
yep, rating 4 aoe jammer with neural link, built into yr cyberarm, or dni datajack cord link, will give u a free action anti grenade barrier, provided u have a decent edge and win the ERIC initiative tie contest. i like that this is possible, it also makes ordinary delayed grenades more useful, and the jammer is counterable with RCC noise reduction. then u get into multiple jammer territory. in any event, imo, counters to grenades stop them being so outlandishly OP, which is good.

Nico

• Newb
« Reply #85 on: <11-02-13/1054:23> »
I think the easiest solution would be the introduction of a sprinting interrupt action that can be used to react to grenades.

For a number of reasons you can't rely on getting in a turn of movement to get away from timed grenades. (Movement allowance is per Turn while Grenades are per Pass; Initiative modifiers like electric damage, Adrenaline Boost or the Shake Up Called Shot action can mess with the assumption of everyone being able to get in a pass, and a grenade that is thrown back (or thrown to a lower initiative teammate and then thrown again) is on a very short fuse.)
Wireless grenades require some rather specific preparation to defend against (but you could argue that such a cheap defense resulting in total immunity actually works too well), while I wonder whether they intentionally made motion sensor and impact grenade rules so unintuitive and vague. As long as you target a static object with them, they don't allow any defense other than soak.

It also takes into account that  Distance and sturdy cover are your best friends when it comes to explosives, after all, and some environments may just force you to get cozy with a grenade (e.g. an empty, locked, windowless room). Being able to pay an initiative score cost to ensure movement solves a number of issues with all grenade types.