NEWS

Map of South Florida in 2075 created for my group.

• 11 Replies

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« on: <10-29-13/1012:38> »
Hello fellow runners and GM's,

I've been GMing a game set in my home town, Miami. There's some official information on South Florida in Shadowrun, but it's a bit sparse so I departed from canon slightly to keep things interesting. I was hoping to get some feedback from canon gurus. I know it's not all entirely kosher but I feel a GM has license to change official information to keep the game interesting.

An example of a departure from canon:

There is a small tribal nation in South Florida that the CAS and most nations pretend doesn't exist, but which provides a buffer between the CAS and the Caribbean League:

From my map notes:

The border was negotiated during a ceasefire in the successful 2036 secession of the Florida Tribal Alliance from the Confederation of American States and no peace treaty has been signed. The Florida Seminole and Miccosukee tribes clung to their land even after the Treaty of Denver in 2018. Tensions rose and eventually came to a head when the CAS attempted to relocate the tribes over NAN diplomatic protest, culminating a war that the tribes managed to win at high cost, mainly by being impossible to dislodge, now called the Fourth Seminole War. Posturing is rule of the day between the larger CAS forces the more magically gifted tribal forces. The FTA maintains an alliance with the Caribbean League, who would rather not have the CAS for neighbors. Technically a violation of the Treaty of Denver, the entire region is a quagmire of diplomatic relations.

I also projected a big increase in population despite a decline in "anglo" residents because it's Miami!

I used the Google Maps function to create the map, and it's open to my players to add material. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free!

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zDl0gEh3LOLc.kP8UU5lLAyec&hl=en
« Last Edit: <11-04-13/1407:38> by ImaginalDisc »

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-30-13/0911:49> »
Another departure from canon is The Seven Storms Season. In the 2061 - 2062 hurricane season seven category 5 hurricanes pass over South Florida. The skyrakers and theexpensive, upscale buildings mostly survived unscathed due to prudent engineering, but the poorer sections of the city were devastated. There relief centers were set up to house refugees, and in the fourteen years since they have become permanent shanty towns inhabited by the SINless and the orks and trolls that discriminatory housing practices keep out of nicer neighborhoods.

Why should South Florida miss out on Year of the Comet shenanigans?
« Last Edit: <03-11-14/1158:41> by ImaginalDisc »

Djinnocide

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-30-13/0925:42> »
As a Florida resident myself, I support this. Keep us posted on how it goes!

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-30-13/0934:53> »
As a Florida resident myself, I support this. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Will do.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Horizon owns a giant offshore highway connecting the CAS to South Florida, thereby cutting the tribes out of all kinds of business. Why? Because the corps are not afraid to make a large fortune by spending a huge fortune.

ahayford

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-01-13/1022:50> »
Hah....I grew up in this area....its funny to see it like this.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-01-13/1424:18> »
I'm keen to add a few adult (but no great) dragons to the area, but my dragon lore for Shadowrun is a tad rusty.

Vinterdraken

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <11-01-13/2339:06> »

. Tensions rose and eventually came to a head when the CAS attempted to relocate the tribes over NAN diplomatic protest, culminating a war that the tribes managed to win at high cost, mainly by being impossible to dislodge,

This is the only part that I had some issue with. I dont see how such a small nation would manage that, unless there where some other factors that prevented the CAS from just wiping everything out. Like them backing down to avoid a direct war with the NAN, Aztlan or maybe even UCAS. I liked the rest though
@Olafurlive on the Twitters.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-02-13/0945:36> »

. Tensions rose and eventually came to a head when the CAS attempted to relocate the tribes over NAN diplomatic protest, culminating a war that the tribes managed to win at high cost, mainly by being impossible to dislodge,

This is the only part that I had some issue with. I dont see how such a small nation would manage that, unless there where some other factors that prevented the CAS from just wiping everything out. Like them backing down to avoid a direct war with the NAN, Aztlan or maybe even UCAS. I liked the rest though

Thanks. I was seriously considering one or more dragons being involved, but I don't want to tap any of the existing Great Dragons. I also don't want to make up a Great Dragon.

I wanted to echo the three Seminole wars, where the Seminoles actually kicked serious butt (They defeated Zachery Taylor Thomas when he was a military officer before he was President.) I imagine the CL and NAN both threw in a low of support for the tribes. I'll stick with that explanation unless someone gives me a better suggestion. :)
« Last Edit: <11-04-13/1409:06> by ImaginalDisc »

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-04-13/1411:10> »

I also was thinking that while a militarily powerful nation like the CAS would have been able to obliterate the tribes, that would have been politically untenable. Removing magically gifted tribes from a wetland without significant loss of life and without looking like jerks in front of the Native American Nations is a tough nut to crack.

Darkhorse

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-21-17/0745:18> »
Yoinked for my collection. Thank you for making this map.

On the subject of Seminole wars, keep in mind that the reason the CAS may have had to give up was the same reason Zach Taylor lost: the Seminoles are/were some tenacious and expert swamp fighters who knew the land, and could probably field significant magical help. (And yes, the NAN probably would have had something to say about it.)

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #10 on: <08-21-17/0927:07> »
Wow, I know somebody who has wanted exactly this for a while.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-21-17/1320:35> »
I did some lore research a few month back on the Everglades, and I've sum up everything as a "in character" data files on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SixthWorld/comments/5oigu5/canon_the_everglades_sovereign_south_florida/

Hope it helps someone else !