NEWS

Every day carry for a Shadowrunner?

• 153 Replies

Joush

• Omae
« on: <09-24-11/0828:04> »
It's easy to pick a gun for when you know you are going into a fight, but what dose a runner carry when heading down to a stuffer shack for a meal? What do your runners use for Every Day Carry?

Kind of an area for light pistols in concealed holsters to shine with holdouts being the last resort of the desperate and heavy pistols being harder to conceal. In the core book there are acutely lots of trade offs to consider in the category.

The Hammerli 620S comes with a smartlink and a gas-vent that is otherwise unavailable for pistols, has heavy pistol range and is reasonably priced. It's also carries a tiny amount of ammo, a disavantage that is fast to type but takes a bit to sink it. Man, it's got a tiny magazine.

The Sakura Fubuki is around four times as expensive as the others and has a very awkward reload, but carries lots of ammo, has a unique burst fire option and is one of the few weapons you can carry legally with multiple ammunition types on tap. It's 10x4 magazine system allows you to load the tubes with different ammo. Gel (or Stick and Shock, if you use it in pistols in your game) can be loaded along with a lethal option. Not sure if I like needing to unfold the stock for recoil compensation, might be better to just leave that at home most of the time.

The Colt L36 lacks anything fancy but is so cheap you can buy a few to keep stashed away and add a laser sight or smartlink for next to nothing. It's only drawback is a lack of any features to make it stand out.

And last, the Fichetti Security 600 brings a very generous ammunition capacity, but also has a folding stock. The integral laser sight can be useful for people that don't EDC a smartlink vision device.

Other then a comlink and visual device, what do your runners carry every day? A taser has awful range, but dose have the modest advantage that carrying one though a checkpoint won't require any test on your fake licenses.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-11/1202:06> »
Depends on the character and their style.

One of my characters carries a Browning Ultra-Power with the Laser Sight removed and replaced with an integrated Smartgun Link, and has threading on the barrel for a silencer (usually a flash suppressor is on the barrel to protect the threads).  It's a short barreled by heavy caliber pistol, which he carries in a small of the back holster.  He also has a variety of switchblades and straight razors as well.

Another carries a S&W Revolver (Ruger Super-Warhawk stats) tucked into his belt and calls it a day.  His mohawk is powder-blue, BTW.

A third carries a very customized Colt Government Model 2066 with an integrated silencer and laser sight.  His outfits incorporate a concealed holster in them, so it's usually the equivalent of a shoulder-rig.  He also has a briefcase that holds a customized, broken down AK-97, but that's not every day carry for him (The AK, not a briefcase.  He likes holding onto a briefcase.  Reminds him of his former life.).  He also has a variety of batons that he'll also carry depending on the situation, including a telescopic staff if feeling particularly militant.  Then again, he lives in the Barrens so going to get some soy milk means he has to feel militant.

The rest I've only made and haven't fleshed out enough to bother figuring out...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <09-24-11/1639:25> »
'runner I'm creating now (Ork Face) has:

My 'runners always carry a Defiance EX Shocker.
The Ares Viper Slivergun: It's is often overlooked because of it's flechette rounds, but it's the only weapon you can legally carry with sound suppression. Its inability to pierce armor is more than made up for by its higher damage and being able to fire narrow bursts with a large enough clip to not have to reload every round.
The Morrisey Elan's: The only gun you can get at start that's undetectable by MAD scan. I always combine it with easy breakdown, those two combined make it a weapon that can be taken past any security check. Narcoject capsule rounds & SnS rounds to make sure it packs a punch.
And I've just got this thing for the Savalette Guardian.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-11/1802:15> »
My mage never leaves home without his Predator. Even though he has only ever fired three bullets out of it, each time to break glass.

My group is Predator happy, and Slivergun happy. We just like Ares, I guess.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <09-24-11/1907:02> »
Everyone loves Ares.  They make good bang-bangs!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #5 on: <09-24-11/1910:04> »
Everyone loves Ares.

Now there is a name for a 'trid show!

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-24-11/2019:51> »
Aries are great, and the difference in concealability is pretty minimal in truth, but it is there. Just as a fluff matter, I'd think anybody smaller then a troll would prefer a light pistol for EDC to the big heavies.

Slivergun seems like an interesting choice for EDC. It is a legal way to have a sound suppressed weapon and can do a lot of damage to unarmored targets.. But it can't fire less lethal rounds, and can't deal with armored targets efficiently.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <09-24-11/2152:29> »
Take into consideration that the Slivergun will slice through standard armored clothing like a monoblade through cheesecloth.  No Impact Armor rating.

And that's what most people wear, if they wear any armor at all.  When you're living hand-to-mouth for food and shelter, armor is quite expensive indeed!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #8 on: <09-24-11/2305:19> »
Most of my character's have a pair of Sock Gloves that they carry at all times. In addition, most of mine either carry a modified Ares Lightfire or a modified Ruger Super Warhawk.

As said above, it really just depends on the character in question.
My current character, an ork professional bodyguard gone shadowrunner, carries a sawed off elephant gun under his steampunk overcoat most of the time. And that's his subtle weaponry. Then again, he's meant to be your generic obvious and intimidating muscle.

In addition to your EDC firearm of choice (in real life I've seen people manage things like this concealed, so I don't think it being a heavy pistol is really as much of an issue as people believe. And yes, an eight shot .357 Magnum revolver should qualify as a heavy pistol.) Most of my runner's have two types of armor: Run Armor and Street Armor. Due to the fact that a full Steampunk Suit is 7/7 armor rating, a lot of my runners are leaning more toward having just having a few sets of the one configuration though (with slightly different mods at times). I almost always throw on a suit of form-fit full (usually modded with Non-Conductivity 6, and Chemical Protection 3) to round things out. Other gear includes your basics that don't stand out: Commlinks, contacts, glasses, earbuds, etc. My runners tend to be in the zone the majority of the time, retirement is when they get to wind down.

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-25-11/0048:08> »
EDC on a large frame revolver is a pretty heroic feat, but a large man can manage it with a shoulder rig or outside pants holster. An inner pants holster would be hellishly unconformable with one though, and an ankle rig too small. Ultimately,  in a realistic situation, any average sized person can reasonably EDC a medium frame pistol. For comfort I prefer a Smith and Wesson 642 (a light 5 shot hammerless revolver), but I'm not a big person.

You make a good point about armor, it seems like a nice subtle lined coat or a not too flashy urban explorer jumpsuit could offer a good way to go out and about with low fashion, with lots of armored clothing and fashion options out there if you use the armor from Arsenal.

My current is a troll that carries a Aries Predator in a shoulder rig and a survival knife in a boot sheath, with a somewhat beat up old lined coat, but he's real big. His partner in crime instead goes with a Yamaha Pluser tucked into a purse and a ceramic knife in a calf rig, the latter has been overlooked twice by detailed weapons checks and once was very useful for an escape.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-25-11/0258:05> »
Most of my character's have a pair of Sock Gloves that they carry at all times.

For impromptu sock puppet performances?  ;D

Crash_00

« Reply #11 on: <09-25-11/0333:43> »
No, to cover up the shock gloves underneath, they never see it coming ;D .

Damn it, now I have to go make up another character named Socky McHands with extraordinary sock puppetry skills.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-25-11/0434:38> »
No, to cover up the shock gloves underneath, they never see it coming ;D .

Damn it, now I have to go make up another character named Socky McHands with extraordinary sock puppetry skills.

Depending on the socks, they might have additional damage due to the odor!

Wait - can you stack unarmed damage, shock glove damage and sock stench damage?  :P

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-25-11/0515:20> »
I have always found the Shock Gloves are a great thing to begin with.  on top of that, the Ares Predator IV even according to the book as a standard gun carried by most shadowrunners.  Katana, Monofilament Whip, Cybereyes, and Wired Reflexes are all pretty much standard gear when you think about it.  with the exception of Technomancers, and those with the Magic skill, those are the most common items bought at Chargen.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-25-11/0651:11> »
I have always found the Shock Gloves are a great thing to begin with.  on top of that, the Ares Predator IV even according to the book as a standard gun carried by most shadowrunners.  Katana, Monofilament Whip, Cybereyes, and Wired Reflexes are all pretty much standard gear when you think about it.  with the exception of Technomancers, and those with the Magic skill, those are the most common items bought at Chargen.

I'll have to see if I can dig out that character that one of my players made that had 10 Monofilament Whips in fingertip compartments in SR2 or SR3...