NEWS

why cant comlinks run common cyberprograms?

• 168 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <05-14-14/0320:09> »
Rigger command consoles are described as bring able to (1) run non attack/sleeze programs and (2) be more like comlinks than cyberdecks. So given that and the fact the lower end consoles jave lower stats than the high end commlinks. Why can't we run a browser program or an edit program that would be really useful in day to day life?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-14-14/0344:26> »
Because commlinks are already running all the software they can handle.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-14-14/0447:21> »
If that were true how can they have an effectively unlimited amount of data storage + mapsofts, datasofts, shopsofts. Your telling me my comlink can run a map navigation program and a shopping program to give me directions to the nearest Sportsgirl while playing my favorite music, and allowing me to call up 600+ page manual for me to peruse for work but it can't also load an editing program to make my marking up sections to cut, add, spelling and grammar corrections and other changes a little easier?

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-14-14/0543:07> »
Because that is what works to make the parts of the game work as intended.

Shadowrun does not seek to emulate, or even evoke, a "realistic" world - it is a fantasy game that involves fantasy science and the only possible explanation for why technology doesn't make real-world-based sense is because the designers are game designers not scientists from various fields attempting to make accurate predictions of the capabilities of a "commlink" as described in the book.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-14-14/0625:10> »
If that were true how can they have an effectively unlimited amount of data storage + mapsofts, datasofts, shopsofts. Your telling me my comlink can run a map navigation program and a shopping program to give me directions to the nearest Sportsgirl while playing my favorite music, and allowing me to call up 600+ page manual for me to peruse for work but it can't also load an editing program to make my marking up sections to cut, add, spelling and grammar corrections and other changes a little easier?

Perhaps because those things rely on built in functionality?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-14-14/0703:28> »
So i guess its just me who's bothered by the fact you can use "common" programs (not hacking ones) on a cyberdeck and rigger command console but not the common commlink. Even though things like a browser, editor, firewall or noise scrubber would make a huge amount of sense to have on them and it cant be a size issue as some commlinks have higher data processing than the ones you can run peograms on.  :-\
« Last Edit: <05-14-14/0712:36> by Senko »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <05-14-14/0740:36> »
Cyberdecks and RCCs are far superior in hardware, allowing them to actually run these. A commlink can run a generic edit tool, but not a heavily-optimized one using special hardware. The same goes for the others. A smartphone won't be able to run the same kind of software a PC can. People get a LOT of memory issues with SRR, for example, which isn't any concern when you're playing on a decent PC. So there are in fact things the small device cannot manage properly.

In return, however, a commlink will have a superior firewall and data-processing over an RCC. Because it's specialized in what it can do, it works better for those.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Aranador

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-14-14/0916:13> »
Cloud Computing man.  Your commlink cant run these programs because it lacks processing power, but it has all the storage in the world pretty much.  Decks have local processing power for all their nefarious and illegal purposes that they don't want to be running 'in view' of 'the man'.  And that local power is what lets them handle these specialized programs.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-14-14/0924:58> »
So i guess its just me who's bothered by the fact you can use "common" programs (not hacking ones) on a cyberdeck and rigger command console but not the common commlink. Even though things like a browser, editor, firewall or noise scrubber would make a huge amount of sense to have on them and it cant be a size issue as some commlinks have higher data processing than the ones you can run peograms on.  :-\
5th Edition isn't 4th Edition. You no longer need to buy programs for your commlink to be capable of doing anything - instead, your commlink already has the software. Your commlink has a Firewall rating; it is capable of browsing the Matrix; it is capable of editing files; and according to Aaron, if you spend Edge to Push the Limit, you can perform illegal actions with them.
Cyberprograms, however, are especially designed to push the limit on what devices are capable of, and commlinks aren't wired for them.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-14-14/1401:50> »
You can still do pretty much anything you can do with a modern smartphone with your commlink - take and send photos, videos, and voice recordings, search for data or webpages, map a route, engage in social media, play games (in AR ,or VR with a simsense module on your commlink). You just can't treat that smartphone as if it's a computer loaded with Photoshop, run agents, etc.

I like that they took the focus off of having a good program and put it back into having a high-LOG character. Sure, your gear still matters for Limits and protection but the rest is alllll you. IMO much better than in 4th where your actual Logic had precisely zero affect on your hacking dice pool.

and according to Aaron, if you spend Edge to Push the Limit, you can perform illegal actions with them.
Hm, by the RAW you certainly can, I wonder if that was the intent though.
Playability > verisimilitude.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #10 on: <05-14-14/1405:54> »
and according to Aaron, if you spend Edge to Push the Limit, you can perform illegal actions with them.
Hm, by the RAW you certainly can, I wonder if that was the intent though.

I'm hoping it was intended. It would be useful for those times when a cyberdeck is toast (this might happen) a technomancer needs to do a wired hack and the GM won't let them use a data tap for direct connection.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #11 on: <05-14-14/1407:38> »
You can still do pretty much anything you can do with a modern smartphone with your commlink - take and send photos, videos, and voice recordings, search for data or webpages, map a route, engage in social media, play games (in AR ,or VR with a simsense module on your commlink). You just can't treat that smartphone as if it's a computer loaded with Photoshop, run agents, etc.
Exactly. whilst i can write a 500 page report on my smartphone, i can do it a damn site better on my computer.
My phone has a word processor, a browser + a camera with a very basic editing suite, my computer's dedicated programs give me much more power and ability to create what i want to create, and see what I want to see.

Decks are much more versatile and the programs like Editor are the equivalent step up from the default nokia text editor to a fully fledged office productivity suite complete with photoshop and a high end professional video editing suite as well.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <05-15-14/0122:52> »
I was gonna write a reply, about the incredibly in-depth stuff that a blandly-named Edit program can do - you know, whipping up falsified evidence against that judge in six hours or less, altering a SIN so that it doesn't quite jive with 'you', that sort of thing - as compared to 'I put a quick text note on that PDF' that a commlink 'edit' program does, but Csjarrat beat me to it.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-15-14/0203:45> »
Okay then how about instead you explain why when commlinks are so utterly, utterly useless for any kind of professional work in an online societ the basic computer to do this stuff costs so much more than a top of the line commlink?

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #14 on: <05-15-14/0214:36> »
Simple: They don't use commlinks for professional stuff done in the office. They use AROs projected by the building's internal network.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>