NEWS

Lets talk WAR!

• 291 Replies

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #285 on: <12-30-10/0328:30> »
This assumption is incorrect. War was always supposed to have lots of setting material in with the gear. MilSpecTech is not stuff that got bumped from War; it's stuff that was generated because the eBook developer wanted to generate it.

Jason H.
Otaku:  I believe that the bulk of (if not all of) MilTech Spec was created by Peter Michelanka.  Peter's a big fan of riggers and toys like this, and he's also head of the eBooks line.  The stuff he's doing was always intended to be an eBook.

Bull
It's not like MilTech Spec was material submitted for War! that was then nefariously plucked from the bosom of its pages and set aside to be a separate product.  It was a separate product from the get-go, written by different people as part of a different title.

If this is true, then someone should really change MillTech Specs description in the up coming products topic, because that description is pretty much "Book of gear that couldn't be fitted into WAR"
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #286 on: <12-30-10/1109:18> »
I never got a good look at SWA.  I'm really only familiar with War! because it's on Scribd.  I've heard some of the complaints, like a pretty but flawed map and poor research, but I can't personally speak to any of it.

So all of this vitriol and complaints comes about a book that you haven't read? I'm confused there, or did I misunderstand what you said?

I think he's complaining about War! which he read without purchasing, and not Sixth World Almanac which he hasn't read at all and therefore he isn't complaining about SWA.  SWA does have a lot of errors in it, but I heard rumors of an updated paper copy that fixed some, but I haven't seen it myself, nor has any errata been released.  My book unfortunately has the side bar errors in it (basically missing two sidebars as they've had duplicate information put in them).  It's a good product overall though, just marred by some errors that could (and may have been) fixed with errata.

Exactly right.  I'm not going to slam SWA, because as much as I dislike CGLs business practices and as little faith as I have in their ability to produce a good book.  As angry as this whole business makes me I try tol only speak about what I've seen.  The fact that War! was leaked isn't my fault, and to be honest I won't be using it at any table I run nor do I truly consider the content legitimate; so it's a moot point from a sale perspective.  And I won't be giving out any download locations either, publicly or privately.  Personally I'm not afraid of piracy as much as bad business plans, but I respect that the owners of this product can go ahead and succeed or fail to make money of it any way they choose.  As long as they pay their writers and artists I don't care if they only print one copy and try to sell it in Nepal or if they throw it up on the torrents themselves.

And Dread Moores, what's the difference between reading the book in a store and deciding not to purchase it and reading it online?  Browsing in store is a time honored tradition where I come from.  It's disingenuous if you use a book in a store game and never pay for it, just like if you play with a downloaded book you never bought a copy of.  Ultimately it's up to what the person does with the material, and CGL has nothing to fear if their worried about me using the material in this book in a game.

Dread Moores

• Newb
« Reply #287 on: <12-30-10/1122:12> »
And Dread Moores, what's the difference between reading the book in a store and deciding not to purchase it and reading it online?  Browsing in store is a time honored tradition where I come from.

Sure. Nothing wrong with that. Except for the fact that you put the book back and never have access to it again. There's no such guarantee here. I'd also be surprised if most fans would look over a book once in a store, browsing it, and come online to discuss their thoughts while still referring to very specific points of data in the book (like page numbers devoted to a section on Bogota), just from their own memory from a few hours of browsing in a store. Our opinions on piracy will likely differ though, and that's likely a topic best covered elsewhere.

Thanks for clarifying my confusion there though. It's best for me to let that part of the subject drop though, as it starts to walk the line in terms of ToS #11.

Dread Moores

• Newb
« Reply #288 on: <12-30-10/2301:37> »
You know, there's something I forgot to mention in my earlier posts. While I'll likely not find a lot of use out of the Bogota section, I did want to give some kudos to however covered the sections that provided some more information on the various merc organizations around the globe. There's some useful background material there, and it was one of the sections that really stood out in the book for me.

SpiderWord

• Newb
« Reply #289 on: <12-31-10/0547:02> »
Last eve I was surfing the Forums and I red most of the comments on this product.

War! is not that bad. Actually I like most of the ideas that were added in the book. I agree on the fact that some proof-reading (is that the word?) before publishing could be a wise move to avoid typos but I'm aware that the rules of publishing are harsh and that time is always short if there's the necessity of cash.

Personally I don't understand the whole matter about Sangre de Diablo. I always considered sourcebooks as simple resources. Tons of content but nobody forces me to use it. You don't like it? It makes no sense? Don't use it. I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of people who will not follow that idea and an exact amount of people who will do the opposite. It's not the book, or its content, to be important but your stories. A Sourcebook is a mere tool that you can always put in a dark corner. Still I apprenciate that there's someone out there who keeps writing about Shadowrun and give me something I can work on to improve my own narrations.

On a lesser OT note I wish that Shadowrun was easier to get here in my Country but since most of the RPers here are focused on D&D and Vampire (Ewww) I guess I will have to wait and prasie Amazon.

Oh!
Happy New Year World, be nice.
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #290 on: <01-01-11/0638:22> »
So.. what are the odds of the rules crunch from War being copied over to the Milspec Gear web-only release for the players' benefit?

Also, whatever happened to 20 Rides?  Daddy needs his rigger candy.

MilSpecTech's gear will be different than the gear in War. New toys for everyone!

Jason H.

Haha, yeah, I figured it'd be new stuff.  I just thought it might be a good opportunity to copy over some of the new rules for the benefit of players who might not be into reading about the setting their GM is using.  Personally it cheeses me off a little when my players read setting books and can't help keep what they know separate from what their characters know.  Knowing how their skills and the basic physics of the world work isn't the same as knowing the names and relationships of all the major players in the locale.

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #291 on: <01-01-11/1224:10> »
Last eve I was surfing the Forums and I red most of the comments on this product.

War! is not that bad. Actually I like most of the ideas that were added in the book. I agree on the fact that some proof-reading (is that the word?) before publishing could be a wise move to avoid typos but I'm aware that the rules of publishing are harsh and that time is always short if there's the necessity of cash.

Personally I don't understand the whole matter about Sangre de Diablo. I always considered sourcebooks as simple resources. Tons of content but nobody forces me to use it. You don't like it? It makes no sense? Don't use it. I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of people who will not follow that idea and an exact amount of people who will do the opposite. It's not the book, or its content, to be important but your stories. A Sourcebook is a mere tool that you can always put in a dark corner. Still I apprenciate that there's someone out there who keeps writing about Shadowrun and give me something I can work on to improve my own narrations.

On a lesser OT note I wish that Shadowrun was easier to get here in my Country but since most of the RPers here are focused on D&D and Vampire (Ewww) I guess I will have to wait and prasie Amazon.

Oh!
Happy New Year World, be nice.

I wouldn't say that everything in War! is terrible, even if I'm choosing not to use it or any of it's content in my games.  The mercs section has been praised as being quite good almost universally.  A lot of what's been said is opinion (by people who have a stated dislike for CGL), but there are a also real measurable items which point to decline in quality.

As a product it just doesn't hold up to past releases.  For some of the specific items that people are angry about you may want to take a look at the implications of the Designate spell as it effects the matrix, the Slow spell as it effects bullets of all sizes and the section Work Brings Freedom which is seen by some to be in bad taste and poorly researched.