NEWS

Skinlink

• 36 Replies

nifoc

• Newb
« on: <07-11-11/0549:03> »
Sorry if this has been asked before but...

The books seem to disagree on wether a skinlink is just a modifier on the gear you are using (as per SR4A p. 328) or wether you need some form of implant or other method of conducting the signal. This may be due to different authors understanding the technology differently or just a misunderstanding on my part, but I'd appreciate a clarification or a link to an official ruling if there is one.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #1 on: <07-11-11/1024:11> »

My understanding is that Skinlink uses your own skin's capacitance to transmit the signal.

Therefore, you Skinlink your PAN Hub, and you're pretty much good to go for things within Skinlink distance of your body (which is defined as anything worn on your person, basically).

Cyberware implants that are entirely internal may need to be modified, but I think most things work if they're in proximity to your skin. For instance, my street merc can't use his Skinlinked comm to run diagnostics on his Bone Lance unless he enables WiFi or jacks in for DNI...but his eyes, weapons, decoy comms, etc, are good to go.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

nifoc

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-11-11/1123:07> »
Other than I would assume that you need skincontact with the items in question, that was my first impression as well.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-11/1203:42> »
Other than I would assume that you need skincontact with the items in question, that was my first impression as well.

In one of the descriptions, Unwired or SR4A, it states that Skinlink range extends out a bit, through clothing, so items in pockets or on your person are fine.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <07-11-11/1205:20> by JoeNapalm »

nifoc

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-11/1254:12> »
I guess it is a matter of taste, I just find it odd that anything that does not use a direct contact can be immune to wireless hacking.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-11/1315:53> »
I guess it is a matter of taste, I just find it odd that anything that does not use a direct contact can be immune to wireless hacking.

Not immune...you just have to get really close.  :D

Look at it this way - a weaponized commlink and a good Palming skill, and that smug Street Sammi with the Skinlink could be in for a surprise.

Come to think of it...I wonder if you could, with the right antenna array, perform Van Eck phreaking of someone's Skinlink? Hmm...but how to beam a signal back...hrmmm...modified tangent galvanometer...coherent beam...*mutter mutter*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <07-11-11/1318:06> by JoeNapalm »

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-11/1350:12> »

Despite it being not quite accurate, the military still uses the EMF model for describing wired communications (and as a justification for why damn near everything has to be clad, sheathed, or otherwise armored).

Basically, if I can use a magnetoscope, electroscope, or modern o-scope/spectrometer to find even slight variances in the electromagnetic field around, not on, a pair of wires, I can start drawing a data sample and I can derive your 0's and 1's.  You can do this from a phenomenal distance with the right tools.  The range of the broadcasting signal is far less important than the range of the detection tools, IRL.

Shadowrun, however, is not rooted in reality.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #7 on: <07-11-11/1431:06> »
Well you could read the signal range as how far away you can read a signal. It would still only allow two way communication when within signal range of the lowest rating device (and SR rules bother little with one way broadcasts).
Want to see my flash new jacket?

gourry187

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-11-11/1626:16> »
my question is what equipment actually are suggested to have a skinlink?  The only thing with skinlink as a mod I've seen are weapons but what about smartclothes or goggles/glasses ... I didn't seen any kind of addon for those types of items.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-11-11/1639:14> »
my question is what equipment actually are suggested to have a skinlink?  The only thing with skinlink as a mod I've seen are weapons but what about smartclothes or goggles/glasses ... I didn't seen any kind of addon for those types of items.
Skinlink is in the corebooks gear section and can be added for every single piece of gear in the game, for weapons it might cost one mod slot if using those modding rules.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

nifoc

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-11-11/1640:01> »
P. 328 of SR4A states that any item containing some form of electronics can be fitted with a skinlink.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <07-11-11/1651:02> »
The advantage of skinlink is that it's a "hardwired" connection (Of sorts).

But, speaking as a computer tech, the only way I can see the skin working as a networking agent is as a Hub at best.  Datastorms galore.  Putting more than three or four items on the system would cause datastorms galore.  From that standpoint, I'd suggest limiting it to things you certainly don't want hacked, such as a Smartgun.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

nifoc

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <07-11-11/1703:38> »
The advantage of skinlink is that it's a "hardwired" connection (Of sorts).

But, speaking as a computer tech, the only way I can see the skin working as a networking agent is as a Hub at best.  Datastorms galore.  Putting more than three or four items on the system would cause datastorms galore.  From that standpoint, I'd suggest limiting it to things you certainly don't want hacked, such as a Smartgun.
Agreed. Had this been an implant, like the old smartlink before all this newfangled "wireless" stuff, it would have been less of a problem, but connecting everything to everything else through your skin is a datacrash waiting to happen already in progress.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #13 on: <07-11-11/1708:25> »
Eh. Go with old fashioned armored optical cables with routers.:)

-k

Mach

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <07-11-11/1807:14> »
hear now! don't run away from new ideas. A properly prepared hacker/drone rigger could have some serious fun with a properly employed skinlink mod on a drone. the drone itself would be slightly smaller than medium size (body 2 or 3, maybe 1). a small walker or an anthroform, quiet, unassuming, preferably cute or resembling a cleaning or repair drone (the less likely it is to be shot proactively, the better). when the individual who is known to be cybernetically enhanced isn't paying attention, the drone will attach itself to the unsuspecting sammie and the rigger will have a wonderful shot at gaining control.

obviously the sammy would get willpower [maybe strength] rolls to try to resist what his tech is doing, but that would have to be with his meat parts, since his previously stated tech would be following the riggers orders.

this would be a direct hack upon a persons meat body, likely effects would be inherently based upon what the victim possesses for cyberware (storytellers call). Likely systems affected from this method could be as follows: wired reflexes, muscle replacements, cyberlimbs, anything with a dni interface, etc... systems decidedly not affected by this method are as follows: anything organic, free floating nanobots (unless hive is contacted), and various items not connected via dni.

obviously this technique would do little against those who are not heavily cybered, and is extremely risky against fellow hackers who would then posssess a direct link back to the rigger/puppetmaster. resistance rolls would likely be exclusive actions, (the victim is fighting his own body), whether it ends up as a willpower or hacking challenge.

so... anyone rethinking skinlink yet?