NEWS

The Future of Missions

• 27 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <09-17-19/0934:43> »
To be crystal clear, I am in no position to direct the future path of Missions, nor do I have any foreknowledge or the ability to speak for the decision makers for Missions. This poll is strictly a matter of personal curiosity, and a possible point for conversation.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-19/0937:09> »
Missions at cons is supposed to advertise the current edition. As such, in 2020 there is no alternative to 6w. Granted, we'll no doubt have an SRM FAQ, and hopefully a 6w FAQ, by then. But we can't wait forever.

I do hope people will be able to continue Neo-Tokyo in 5e at their homegames. But any con game should be 6w.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #2 on: <09-17-19/0947:19> »
Missions at cons is supposed to advertise the current edition. As such, in 2020 there is no alternative to 6w.
Lormyr didn't ask "which version does Catalyst prefer", he asked "what version do you prefer." 5e is a perfectly valid answer to that question.

Interesting extensions of this question would be "If a con had unofficial 5e games and official 6e Mission games, which would you choose to play?" and "If a con only had 6e games, would you skip playing Shadowrun in favour of playing something else entirely?"

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-17-19/0951:18> »
I flat out prefer 6we to 5e, warts and all.  Besides, those warts aren't any uglier than 5e's... AND I have my optimism that the needed fixes will eventually come.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-17-19/0954:45> »
Yeah, like I mentioned before, the uncertainty about Riggers in 5e turned my wife off Shadowrun entirely. The first thing I checked in 6w was the answer to that conundrum.

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-17-19/0957:31> »
For me personally I'd definitely prefer 5e, but Catalyst should go with 6e anyway. It'd be weird to run an official game for the previous edition.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-17-19/1001:08> »
As I said in the initial post, this poll is in no way official or able to alter the path ahead. It's strictly for discussion points.

For note, I am in the same boat as MCV. 5th > 6th, but it wouldn't due to not run a living campaign in the current edition.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-17-19/1042:05> »
SR6 for missions: Oh boi. Please. Don´t. Not now. Not without massive Errata, Missions-Specific hotfixes or "maintenance supplements"  that not only tackle the numerous editing fuckups, but the numerous "conscious" design decisions as well. If that rushed-out argle-bargled mess hits mission tables, prepare for the next wave of disappointment and forum flamewars.

Admittingly, with relatively few (but very intensive) Houserules, SR 6 actually works. I dare to say that it can even be pretty fun. That´s the only reason why I´m still here: I like the good changes enough to look past the fact that the game is next to unplayable without houserules. With a newb GM or at convention tables where you can´t houserule and eyeball all that broken drek, this Edition fails. Hard(y). Luckily, I´m usually GMing and not interested in conventions/living campaigns  :P

(So yeah, I´m actually the sole #4 on the poll right now. I still think that this Edition is salvagable, theoretically.)
« Last Edit: <09-17-19/1044:27> by Finstersang »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-18-19/1350:48> »
Well I am certain it will be 2020 Origins at the earliest before the switch, so that is plenty of time for improvement. Let's see if Catalyst seizes the opportunity.

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-19-19/1821:10> »
Rumor is they will finish out aleast neo-tokyo plot line in CMPs

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-21-19/1224:46> »
Thank you to everyone who's voted so far! I'm super intrigued to see how things look by the end of the poll.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-21-19/1253:15> »
From a missions writing standpoint, I'm excited to leave 5e behind.  Without having to presume 1+ hours per fight, the plot structure for a 4 hour mission gets more options.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <09-21-19/1341:11> »
I actually dare plan 2 fights AND lengthy legwork! :o

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #13 on: <09-21-19/1411:14> »
From a missions writing standpoint, I'm excited to leave 5e behind.  Without having to presume 1+ hours per fight, the plot structure for a 4 hour mission gets more options.
How much faster do you expect fights to get resolved in 6e? The number of rolls to do stuff is the same. You don’t calculate modifiers, but that’s only a few seconds saved. PCs have to evaluate a longish list of Edge options every action. Magic is roughly the same time to resolve. You only roll initiative once, but you only rolled it 2-3 times in 5e. Where’s the time saving coming from?

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-21-19/1414:21> »

That's totally legit. I have heard many a table comment on how long fights take. I have personally only experienced one that made it out of the first initiative pass though, and that was against auslander in the prime. He lasted a whole two initiative passes!