NEWS

SRM Combined FAQ Discussion

• 100 Replies

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #30 on: <05-25-18/2201:27> »
A new weapons table with all the asian/martial arts standards would be great, actually.

A few suggestions, extrapolating from the melee weapons in the core rulebook:

BLADES
Katana: Long blade. Accuracy 7, Reach 1, Damage (STR+3)P, AP –3, Avail 9, Cost 1,000¥
Wakizashi: Short blade. Accuracy 6, Reach 0, Damage (STR+2)P, AP –3, Avail 9, Cost 800¥
Tanto: Dagger. Accuracy 6, Reach 0, Damage (STR+1)P, AP –3, Avail 6, Cost 200¥
No-Dachi: Two-handed blade. Accuracy 6, Reach 2, Damage (STR+4)P, AP –3, Avail 9, Cost 1,200¥
Naginata: Pole arm. Accuracy 5, Reach 3, Damage (STR+3)P, AP –2, Avail 6, Cost 1,000¥
Kama: Sickle blade on a short haft. Accuracy 5, Reach 0, Damage (STR+2)P, AP –4, Avail 9, Cost 500¥

CLUBS
Bokken: Wooden practice sword, may use either Swords or Clubs skill. Accuracy 6, Reach 1, Damage (STR+3)S, AP 0, Avail 5, Cost 100¥
Bo Staff: Short wooden staff. Accuracy 6, Reach 2, Damage (STR+2)S, AP 0, Avail 3, Cost 100¥
Tonfa: Short club with a perpendicular handle. Accuracy 5, Reach 0, Damage (STR+2)S, AP 0, Avail 4, Cost 50¥
Nunchaku: Pair of clubs linked by a cord or chain. Accuracy 5, Reach 1, Damage (STR+3)S, AP 0, Avail 4, Cost 50¥
Tetsubo: Two-handed club with metal studs. Accuracy 5, Reach 2, Damage (STR+4)S, AP 0, Avail 5, Cost 200¥
Sai: Forked metal baton with a piercing point, may inflict either Stun or Physical damage (user’s choice). Accuracy 6, Reach 0, Damage (STR+2)S, AP –1, Avail 5, Cost 300¥

(Note that bladed weapons are not restricted in Neo-Tokyo, so none of the Availability codes are marked R. See Corporate Enclaves, p.85.)
« Last Edit: <05-26-18/2036:50> by Sphinx »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #31 on: <05-26-18/1652:35> »
I would greatly prefer if the option existed to use Blades (Swords) for bokken. Just saying.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #32 on: <05-26-18/1952:54> »
I think for a lot of stuff, just "reskin".  Do you really need a dozen or two new stat blocks for weapons that are nearly identical to things already in the game?

That's what I'm doing.  My Missions Character, Usagi Bop, is going to have a bigass two-handed mallet/hammer, and I'm just planning to reskin a Combat Axe for it.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #33 on: <05-26-18/2035:54> »
I would greatly prefer if the option existed to use Blades (Swords) for bokken. Just saying.

Good idea. Edited below.

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <05-27-18/0047:59> »
Along the lines of what Bull said, how about something like this?

Katana - Same (duh :) )
Wakizashi -Sword
No-Dachi - Highland Claymore
Naginata - Pole arm
Naga - Combat Knife

Bokken - Extendable Baton
Bo Staff - Staff
Tonfa - Sap
Nunchaku - Extendable Baton
Tesubo - Staff
Sai - Sap

Edited to make changes to Wakizashi and Naga made by Kiirnodel
« Last Edit: <05-28-18/0757:49> by tequila »
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-27-18/2043:15> »
Wakizashi = sword
Tanto = Combat Knife

In my opinion. Wakizashi are more of a short sword, not quite short enough to be a knife.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #36 on: <05-27-18/2201:13> »
I think for a lot of stuff, just "reskin".  Do you really need a dozen or two new stat blocks for weapons that are nearly identical to things already in the game?

That's what I'm doing.  My Missions Character, Usagi Bop, is going to have a bigass two-handed mallet/hammer, and I'm just planning to reskin a Combat Axe for it.
For my Hammer Adept from Chicago, I just used the Sledgehammer from improvised weapons listed in the core book. Str+4P, Acc3, reach 1

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #37 on: <05-28-18/1026:10> »
I the next updated FAQ could we get a ruling on this https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=27292.0 in the FAQ as well as what SRM defines as the area of detection?

I would just like to be consistent for the players.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <05-28-18/1100:02> »
I the next updated FAQ could we get a ruling on this https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=27292.0 in the FAQ as well as what SRM defines as the area of detection?

I would just like to be consistent for the players.

No. The area of detection does not exist. What you want a ruling on is, if the classic interpretation is correct, and you can only detect spell using perception at casting (Or one other small list of exceptions), or if they other side is correct and you can always see them. In which case you open up the epic headache. As has been clearly argued for 8 or 9 pages.

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <05-28-18/1110:13> »
Wakizashi = sword
Tanto = Combat Knife

In my opinion. Wakizashi are more of a short sword, not quite short enough to be a knife.

In Kiir's favor i think it is listed as an example sword.
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #40 on: <05-28-18/1211:51> »
No. The area of detection does not exist. What you want a ruling on is, if the classic interpretation is correct, and you can only detect spell using perception at casting (Or one other small list of exceptions), or if they other side is correct and you can always see them. In which case you open up the epic headache. As has been clearly argued for 8 or 9 pages.

No, what I want is a ruling for how we are going to use it in SRM so that players have consistency between tables. If it goes one way or the other is not relevant to me. I will play it either way, there are many rules that I don't like in Shadowrun but I want to give the players a consistent table so I play by those rules. If the final word is we are not defining Area then so be it and we will just have to rule on it at the table GM by GM but my time in many other world spanning shared games has taught me that sometimes rulings have to be made on things that have no rules, until the company makes a ruling, to give the players a fair game everywhere even if we don't like the rulings. This is why we had a hot patch errata when 5th first started out.

I know that it has spanned several pages of debate, which is why I linked to that thread. I don't see any reason to rehash the debate here. The SRM FAQ committee can just look there and make their decision. I am happy to follow it either way.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <05-28-18/2148:30> »

No, what I want is a ruling for how we are going to use it in SRM so that players have consistency between tables. If it goes one way or the other is not relevant to me. I will play it either way, there are many rules that I don't like in Shadowrun but I want to give the players a consistent table so I play by those rules. If the final word is we are not defining Area then so be it and we will just have to rule on it at the table GM by GM but my time in many other world spanning shared games has taught me that sometimes rulings have to be made on things that have no rules, until the company makes a ruling, to give the players a fair game everywhere even if we don't like the rulings. This is why we had a hot patch errata when 5th first started out.

I know that it has spanned several pages of debate, which is why I linked to that thread. I don't see any reason to rehash the debate here. The SRM FAQ committee can just look there and make their decision. I am happy to follow it either way.

Red the point of the debate is the area does NOT exist, b/c for it to exist the interpretation that you can ONLY detect spell with normal perception when they are cast (As it has always been across previous editions) has to be ruled as wrong.  At this time it is uniform, across all tables. Because it doesn't exist. If a ruling comes down the other way, only then does that and long list of other questions have to be Answered. Should that happen it will be serious hot patch to the rules.

« Last Edit: <05-28-18/2150:27> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <05-29-18/0013:46> »
Marcus.  It would have been better to leave the arguing in the thread devoted to that topic.  Since you've insisted on bringing it here, here we go.

For the purposes of SRM, I'll go ahead and second Redwulfe's suggestion that we get a clarification on the following text in the core rulebook, pg 280: 1st paragraph of the rules on Perceiving Magic:

Magic is rarely subtle. Any form of magic (conjuring,
spellcasting, enchanting, magical lodges, spirits, etc.)
changes the world around it. Sometimes it’s obvious
through a magician’s gestures or incantations (magicians
seen by non-Awakened people are sometimes
called “twitchy fingers”). Spirits sometimes cause the
air to shimmer, even from astral space. People have reported
feeling chills, dread, or other unnatural sensations
they can’t quite put their finger on when magic is
in the area.

For the purposes of SRM play, it'd be nice to know if this paragraph is saying that Sustained spells are meant to be excluded from the relevancy of the rules for noticing "all" magic mentioned in the opening two sentences... and therefore if they're meant to be exempt from the rules that follow the paragraph governing how to resolve whether magic is noticed.

Although honestly it probably needs dev/errata team attention, but I'll happily take a SRM answer if we get one.  And honestly, the measure of being close enough to get a perception check was left completely up to the GM without any guidance so there is indeed a bona fide role in SRM chiming in on "how close is close enough" to get a perception roll.
« Last Edit: <05-29-18/0019:30> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <05-29-18/0104:32> »
Marcus.  It would have been better to leave the arguing in the thread devoted to that topic.  Since you've insisted on bringing it here, here we go.

I didn't bring it here. Red did. So if you have something you wanna say about that, then say it to him. Red asked for something doesn't exist, I simply pointed out that obvious fact. It's that simple. Why you feel like there needs to be massive rule change and the head aches that will comes with it is beyond me SSRD.

« Last Edit: <05-29-18/0107:09> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <05-29-18/0111:25> »
No, Redwulfe brought up the totally undefined "in the area" language.  Which is fair for SRM, given the core rulebook left it completely to GM discretion.  He's absolutely right that it'd be nice for SRM to set a standard for our shared organized play campaign... whether it's touching, Force x meters, in the same room... it should be standard across SRM.

Arguing that Sustained spells shouldn't be noticeable based solely on whether they had been in prior editions isn't appropriate for this thread.  It's not SRM related and we've already got the lively thread dedicated more or less to that exact thing.  You brought THAT here, so I obliged you and asked SRM team to say if the paragraph that doesn't have an exclusion for sustained spells is going to be understood for SRM purposes as if it did have an unstated exclusion for sustained spells.  We'll get an answer, or we won't.
« Last Edit: <05-29-18/0113:07> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.