NEWS

okay... new hacker, lost and confused... HELP

• 20 Replies

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <12-15-10/0747:57> »
THERE is nothing that says I can't buy the parts and build a rating 6 commlink then upgrade it.

There's nothing that says you can, however.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-15-10/0814:37> »
It doesn't work that way.  Unless a rule sets a hard, explicit limit on ratings, then his point is valid.

After all, nothing says you can shoot police officers in Shadowrun, yet I see cops getting shot there all the time.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <12-15-10/0907:09> »
It's obvious as a change between SR4 and SR4A - SR4 provided the costs for each level of Signal, Response, Firewall and System and it was pretty clear that you could buy them individually at any level and put them together however you fancied.  SR4A makes it clear (and reading dev posts on Dumpshock at the time supported this) that you can buy an off-the-shelf commlink and upgrade, but not just randomly assemble one.

That's why there are rules for upgrading but not building commlinks - except totally from scratch.  And even then, it doesn't provide rules for taking the ratings above 6.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <12-15-10/1029:58> »
Crossbow: LOL! me too, man. I am nearly smashing my brains out with a hacker with only one point in computer and one point in data search and no hacking skill! If I took hacking skill, I think I'd hemorrhage.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #19 on: <12-15-10/1649:23> »
Ahh but I walk into the store I say hey I need some things he says ok what ya need I give my list:

I buy the Response parts for 4k (rating 5)

the Signal parts for 1k (rating 5)

I buy the Firewall parts for 3k (rating 6)

and the system parts for 3k (rating 6).

He says ok thats gonna be 11k. I say thinks now I got a commlink he says to me son you need a case to put all that in here I'll sell you one for 100 I say ok thanks and walk out.

I go home I make a commlink the has the stats of 5/5/6/6 for 11,100 nuyen SURE it runs at a level 5 system (untill I can go back an buy the rating 6 response and signal). BUT it is also upgradeable buy 2 levels from here. Which would allow me (once I buy the upgrades needed) to have a system of 8/8/8/8.

THERE is nothing that says I can't buy the parts and build a rating 6 commlink then upgrade it.

If, and only if, your GM agrees that the component parts of a commlink are nothing more than a pair of upgrade modules for an existing commlink and a 100¥ case. Since the RAW doesn't establish any of these equivalencies, your home-made commlink is purely a thing of the GM's whim.

Also, I direct you to the following:
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 127, Hardware
To create something, a plan, the proper materials, and time are still needed.

Quote from:  SR4A, pg 138, Using Technical Skills to Build or Repair
Technical skills do not allow a character to create a new item/device from concept alone - that requires something along the lines of an engineering background and lots of collaborative effort.

Translation: Unless you have the drawings and procedures required for a 5/5 commlink, you aren't building one with just the Hardware skill. To build, from scratch, your 5/5 commlink, you need to first develop a 5/5 commlink schematic using appropriate knowledge skills and a lot of free time.

EDIT for grammar and spelling.
« Last Edit: <12-15-10/1702:41> by Chaemera »
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #20 on: <12-22-10/0103:02> »
Crossbow: LOL! me too, man. I am nearly smashing my brains out with a hacker with only one point in computer and one point in data search and no hacking skill! If I took hacking skill, I think I'd hemorrhage.

Well, if you're interested in a bit of hacking info, I've got 3 threads to recommend off the top of my head.

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=754.0
http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=814.0
http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=1320.0

I could go into lots more detail, but that's a basic primer.