NEWS

okay... new hacker, lost and confused... HELP

• 20 Replies

joe15552

• Omae
« on: <12-10-10/1812:07> »
So, I wanna make a character with a few computer skills. Nothin major, just good enough to get around. Computer and Data Search are the two skills I've decided I need. To compliment those two skills, I wanna get all the best software and hardware I can get at the 12 availability limit. Looks like Browse, Scan, Analyze, Sniffer, Edit, Medic, and Track all use those skills in certain cases. Since we are at the computer store, we might as well throw in Command, Reality Filter, Armor, Biofeedback filter, Data bomb, ECCM, and Purge.

Now here comes the hard part, I'm talking to the computer dealer, and he starts spouting all this garbage like, "The system rating of the device limits the rating of the program. A program operates at its own rating or the system of the device, whichever is lower." (pg 232 SR4 20th) So, I'm thinking um, okay, whatever dude, the software I can buy in the book only goes up to rating 6 anyway. So what's the deal? Oh... the highest system rating available in a stock operating system (Novatech Navi) in the book is only 4. So I guess I gotta look at pg. 232 to upgrade my operating system to a System rating of 6 for 3000 neyen. Easy right? WRONG!

The salesmen now starts babbling again, "The System program is limited by the base Response rating of the device it is on: if the base Response rating of the device is lower than the System rating, then the System rating is set to equal the Response rating." (pg 222 SR4 20th) So I'm like, okay, dude, why didn't you tell me this is the first place? I just need to upgrade my Response of my Fairlight Caliban (which has a repsonse of 4) to 6... wait that upgrade has an availability of 16, so I can only have 5 response. Fine. I upgrade it to 5 Response, which limits my beginning System rating to 5, which limits my beginning program ratings to 5.

Is that right? Or am I just confused by this salesman?

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #1 on: <12-10-10/1830:45> »
Looks like you got it. Might be easier to build your deck and OS from scratch if you're going for high end stuff. Just grab a 100 ny commlink and upgrade it to what you need.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <12-10-10/2004:11> »
Looks like you got it. Might be easier to build your deck and OS from scratch if you're going for high end stuff. Just grab a 100 ny commlink and upgrade it to what you need.

Slow down, Nomad. He buys the 100 ny commlink, he's dead in the water.

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 22, Upgrading Devices
A device's hardware ratings may only be upgraded by +2 with regards to their original ratings.

So, you buy bottom barrel, you only get bottom barrel, +2.

Example:

Meta Link, 100 ny, Response 1, Signal 2. Upgrade limit: Response 3, Signal 4.
Novatech Airware, 1250 ny, Response 3, Signal 3. Upgrade limit: Response 5, Signal 5

Of course, this could all have been overruled by some special super-secret rule in Arsenal or Unwired that I haven't been able to find, but this be the limits as I know them.

As to the OP directly, no, you've got it worked out right. Those are the limitations, and they're annoyingly cyclical, even if they make sense from an electrical / computer perspective.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #3 on: <12-10-10/2046:48> »
Its not overruled that I'm aware of. So get the Airware and IRIS Orb, both rating 3 across the board and upgrade to 5 or the Caliban and you'll have room to go to 6 later.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-10-10/2106:46> »
awesome. I actually read the rules right. Thanks for the help guys!

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #5 on: <12-13-10/0311:07> »
Ahh but I walk into the store I say hey I need some things he says ok what ya need I give my list:

I buy the Response parts for 4k (rating 5)

the Signal parts for 1k (rating 5)

I buy the Firewall parts for 3k (rating 6)

and the system parts for 3k (rating 6).

He says ok thats gonna be 11k. I say thinks now I got a commlink he says to me son you need a case to put all that in here I'll sell you one for 100 I say ok thanks and walk out.

I go home I make a commlink the has the stats of 5/5/6/6 for 11,100 nuyen SURE it runs at a level 5 system (untill I can go back an buy the rating 6 response and signal). BUT it is also upgradeable buy 2 levels from here. Which would allow me (once I buy the upgrades needed) to have a system of 8/8/8/8.

THERE is nothing that says I can't buy the parts and build a rating 6 commlink then upgrade it.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #6 on: <12-13-10/0342:09> »
THERE is nothing that says I can't buy the parts and build a rating 6 commlink then upgrade it.
It will take time, effort, money, and at least a few issues to go over, possibly involving a run, or some freelancing with B&E, or paying the seller off with the Hacker's services, but it should work. I'd allow that in two-three game sessions. And i'd give that one a free* +1 bonus to Initiative, and one matrix action as with the personalizations from Unwired - it's your own baby, you know it better than anyone. But anyone else would suffer penalties.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #7 on: <12-13-10/1038:47> »
If you're going to get purge that means you've got Unwired, right?

If you've got Unwired, then you've got program options available for the picking, and if you've got them then you should use them.

For example, Optimization is an option which allows you to run a program at up to two times the level of a commlink's system.  So, if you're looking for a casual bit-chomper, then you don't need a R6 response chip to run a R6 program.  If you get a R6 analyze program with a R3 Optimization option on it, it can run at its full R6 rating on a R3 System on a R3 commlink.

Program options mean that Hackers can kick ass like Technomancers and Regular Joes can acutally use the Matrix at all.

With diminishing dice pool, an average user with an average skill can't even find common, publically-available information, like a restaurant review, even half of the time, and a Metalink is like a bomb waiting to explode in the user's hand.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-13-10/1203:45> »
Good eye, Kontact. I didn't know about optimization, and I do have Unwired. That makes it so I can get, and run, rating 6 programs at char gen. GEEK GASM!

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <12-13-10/1246:45> »
Oh! but a rating 6 hacking program has an availability of 12R, you can't get optimization for those, since it takes the availability over 12. But for common use programs, which have no availability, you can take system 5 comlink and run a rating 6 common use program with an optimization rating of 4, for a total of 10! (2 x system rating of the comlink) That is some kick ass browsing goin' on there.

oh! Oh! And if you take restricted gear, you can get a crazy optimized hacking program of the same amount! geez... that's just insane.
« Last Edit: <12-13-10/1249:28> by joe15552 »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-13-10/1258:00> »
Um, it's Availability 12R.  The "R" doesn't push it over any threshold, it just means that to own one legally requires a license.  So it's still available at character creation.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-13-10/1921:12> »
General program options (like Optimization) add +1 per option. That takes an R6 Hacking program to 13R, which is too high.

Also, if you optimize more than a few programs, it's cheaper to just buy a better commlink.
« Last Edit: <12-13-10/1933:38> by Bradd »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-14-10/0557:58> »
Ah, I see.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #13 on: <12-14-10/0612:01> »
General program options (like Optimization) add +1 per option. That takes an R6 Hacking program to 13R, which is too high.

Also, if you optimize more than a few programs, it's cheaper to just buy a better commlink.

Program options are still pretty cheap and programs are modular, so installing them during play is as easy as heading to the trix and buying an availability 2 piece of software.  Always thought that the +availability thing is pretty much moot.

The real benefit for options comes from the sort of programs you'll want on every piece of electronics you own.
Upgrading your comm to a R5 chip and a beefy system is cool, but what if you've got several devices.  Like a link, a car and an MCT fly-spy.  Now say you want a R6 analyze program that'll work on all of them.  How about some ECCM or Stealth as well?  But, for sure, options on everything is a total waste for a hacker, unless those options are for home-brew programs running up to R12.
« Last Edit: <12-14-10/1026:20> by Kontact »

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-14-10/0916:48> »
Insert copy box with lots of techno gobbledy-gook

This is why I run gun bunnies, faces and mages, usually with a gremlins or Incompetant (tech skill) disad.  I am more confused about running a hacker than when I started reading this thread.

:)