NEWS

Why no stats for Dysentary in war?

• 8 Replies

thalandar

• Chummer
« on: <12-21-10/0259:21> »
When reading through War!  I was struck by the number of time it talked about not drinking the water.  The reason you don't drink the water in third world countries is because you can get dysentary.  I looked through the books and find no mention of stat lines like those in Augmentation.  Rather than harp on its non-exisitance, I offer this humble note for what my player's will be facing in my War! game:

I am not a doctor.  I did some basic research online, and came up with the generic stat line below.

Dysentery
(Note the below listing is for the more common form of dysentery, amoebic,
the one more likely to be encountered by drinking contaminated water in a
third world country)

Vector:  Ingestion
Speed:  3 days (6)
Penetration:  0
Power:  2
Nature:  Bacterial
Effect:  stun damage, malaise, nausea
Dysentery is an inflammatory disorder of the intestine that results in
severe diarrhea with fever and abdominal pain and is most commonly
transmitted through contaminated food and water.  Symptoms normally present
themselves after one to three days and are usually no longer present after a
week.

Dahrken

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-21-10/1402:58> »
I can understand they didn't bother to rule it, "Bacterias and Diarrhea" would make a rather crappy game session.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #2 on: <12-21-10/1828:28> »
I can understand they didn't bother to rule it, "Bacterias and Diarrhea" would make a rather crappy game session.

I would probably handle it as a case of enforced downtime. If power is left over after the Disease Resistance Test, that's simply a day the character is out of commission. No real getting into the details, let him make adjusted rolls for whatever he could do to help while porcelain-throne-ridden and move on.

Op, nicely drawn up, by the way, seems like a fairly reasonable disease implementation.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #3 on: <12-21-10/1830:59> »
Now I know where to go if anyone in my group gets the Hersey Squirts.  :D

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-21-10/1857:41> »
Yeah, I do like the stats.  I just hope none of my runners would be dumb enough to drink the water if I ever sent them down there (Not that I am thinking about that at all).

Well, the Troll would, yeah he is that dumb.   ;)
I thought what I'd do is; I would pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-21-10/1920:19> »
Consider this stolen...

Grabs dysentery rules and runs for his pile of House Rules for inclusion... At last minute, remembers source & includes.

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <12-21-10/2042:13> »
The main thing I use this, and other diseases (malaria, STDs) is to let the players know a) they are not in Seattle anymore,  b) there are consequences to their actions, and c) be prepared (i.e. get your shots!).  The players have to deal with down time and penalties (-1 to -2 dice can make a difference).  Plus, it gives the game a dark, grity feel.

One thing I learned from my time in Iraq and Afghanistan is that more soldiers are casualities by disease, local wildlife, terrain and environmental conditions then by enemy combatants.  I try to add that flavor to my games.  I know it doesn't conform to the "hollywood" action movie feel that people like.   War is dirty.  War is long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror.

You are ALWAYS tired, cold, hungry...often times you downright scared.  If you are not, your too dumb to know you should be scared.  You face the unknown, your intelligence sucks but you still have to act, because making the wrong choice may cost lives but it costs fewer lives then not acting at all.

The bad part is, you are doing somthing that is challenging and difficult and when you succeed, its a rush and its exciting.  Sound familiar?  The same reasons characters Shadowrun.  It challenges you, makes you strive to be the best, all the more challenging when you overcome things like dysentary, poisoness spiders and man-eating trees.  

To quote BA from the A team, "Its the jazz, man." here ends the soapbox...lol.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-21-10/2112:41> »
The main thing I use this, and other diseases (malaria, STDs) is to let the players know a) they are not in Seattle anymore,  b) there are consequences to their actions, and c) be prepared (i.e. get your shots!).  The players have to deal with down time and penalties (-1 to -2 dice can make a difference).  Plus, it gives the game a dark, grity feel.

One thing I learned from my time in Iraq and Afghanistan is that more soldiers are casualities by disease, local wildlife, terrain and environmental conditions then by enemy combatants.  I try to add that flavor to my games.  I know it doesn't conform to the "hollywood" action movie feel that people like.   War is dirty.  War is long periods of boredom punctuated by brief moments of terror.

To which I say, Shadowrun is cyberpunk Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Phantasy, or Sci-Fantasy to some weirdos who need special words for stuff). Cyberpunk is supposed to be gritty, dark, and raw. Therefore, anything (like simple diseases from lack of common sense) which reinforces this without bogging the game down too much is to be appreciated.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-21-10/2131:50> »
I would reduce the speed to 1 day (3). My lactose intolerance says drop it to 1 hour...but it's dysentery, not LI, hehe. This way each day for 3 days the character is having to deal with dysentery and also reflects the possible fatal outcome as failing the first test means 2 Stun and on the second day the power is 4, failing the second, the third day's power is 6. (AU pg 130). I almost would increase the power to 3...but I'm not sure. But I would also add that "With access to unlimited clean drinking water a character receives a +2 to Resistance Tests against dysentery."
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay