NEWS

[SR6] Confuse about Cyberlimbs and availability allow at char gen and in game

• 24 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <08-08-19/0856:10> »
One thing I should note: You CAN take a cyberlimb above augmented maximum, the way I read things. However, you only get up to the maximum in bonus. If you then raise your natural later on, you get to use more. E.g. if you had 3 agility and the arm 8, you use it at 7. Once you go to 4, you use it at 8.

As for the samples, haven't run the math yet so no idea. O_O But I know it's very easy for those to have mistakes due to rulechanges during creation process.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <08-08-19/0950:30> »
well as it goes for the sample archetypes and how they were built the answer is yes-ish.

They were built prior to some of the rules being finalized so there may be some differences that appear to be illegal but should be pretty close ... or things like the technomancer having a Complex Form that is actually an Echo because it got changed at the last minute (I am talking to you Living Network and Skinlink)
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <08-15-19/1538:35> »
So, to make sure I understand:

You spend 15,000 on a Obvious Cyberarm (capacity of 15).  This starts at 2 STR/2 AGI. 

The attribute increase item on the mod chart shows Rating: Rating, Capacity: Rating, and Cost: Rating x 5,000 if I remember correctly.

So if my STR is 6 and I want a punch (or using a weapon in that hand?) to be 8 STR, I would then make the attribute rating 6, making the capacity 6, making the cost 6 x 5,000?  But I would still use by base 6 STR for anything else involving a STR check unless it was specifically related to my arm.

So is that count as 6/15 capacity on the arm?  The other 9 I could use for AGI or armor other components I assume.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #18 on: <08-15-19/1551:55> »

You spend 15,000 on a Obvious Cyberarm (capacity of 15).  This starts at 2 STR/2 AGI. 

The attribute increase item on the mod chart shows Rating: Rating, Capacity: Rating, and Cost: Rating x 5,000 if I remember correctly.

So if my STR is 6 and I want a punch (or using a weapon in that hand?) to be 8 STR, I would then make the attribute rating 6, making the capacity 6, making the cost 6 x 5,000?  But I would still use by base 6 STR for anything else involving a STR check unless it was specifically related to my arm.

So is that count as 6/15 capacity on the arm?  The other 9 I could use for AGI or armor other components I assume.
Yes. In fact, if you're doing a test, it's based on the lowest of all limbs. So if you replace both arms and both legs, then you'd up your base attribute for tests. If you don't have all replaced, the upgraded attribute is if you're only using that limb. (CRB p. 288)

Think of it this way. If you're lifting something with just one arm, then it's that arm's STR doing the lifting. If you're lifting with both, but only have one cyberarm, then you have to balance it between the two and only lift as much as with the weaker arm. If you're running and you got cyberlegs, those are the attributes for the test, but you don't have to worry about the arms. But if you're base-climbing, you'll have to use the lowest of all four limbs.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <08-16-19/2016:34> »

Yes. In fact, if you're doing a test, it's based on the lowest of all limbs. So if you replace both arms and both legs, then you'd up your base attribute for tests. If you don't have all replaced, the upgraded attribute is if you're only using that limb. (CRB p. 288)

Think of it this way. If you're lifting something with just one arm, then it's that arm's STR doing the lifting. If you're lifting with both, but only have one cyberarm, then you have to balance it between the two and only lift as much as with the weaker arm. If you're running and you got cyberlegs, those are the attributes for the test, but you don't have to worry about the arms. But if you're base-climbing, you'll have to use the lowest of all four limbs.

Which is why I would go Muscle Augs.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #20 on: <08-16-19/2026:20> »

I like this better than the old "average of all limbs" way, both mechanically (ugh, I don't want to compute averages) and fluff wise (makes sense you're only as strong as your weakest part.) Does the book offer any guidance for scenarios like melee attacks with one cyberlimb, or firing a rifle with only one cyberarm with boosted Agility?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <08-16-19/2035:28> »
It's gamemaster's discretion, but if it's purely one-handed, I'd rule on the side of the cyberlimb's attributes.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-16-19/2051:21> »
Yeah there's no rules for using a "two handed weapon" with one hand, but the GM can surely come up with something.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #23 on: <08-17-19/0351:43> »
Yeah there's no rules for using a "two handed weapon" with one hand, but the GM can surely come up with something.
I'm curious which way people would jump, because I can see both sides. I'd allow the full bonus myself but I'm a fairly generous GM I think.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <08-17-19/0533:20> »
I'd grab either the non-ambidextrous off-hand penalty (no edge gain/spending), or the non-fitting gear (-2 dicepool modifier) as inspiration for that. Probably the second.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!