NEWS

[SR6] Confuse about Cyberlimbs and availability allow at char gen and in game

• 24 Replies

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« on: <08-03-19/2237:32> »
In SR6, basic cyberlimbs come with AGI 2/STR 2
Under Attribute Increase, we can increase AGI or STR to maximum augmented of +4.

My question is, +4 from what? from 2 of basic cyberlimbs? (so, 2+4, 6 max?)

Or +4 from my meat attribute?
If that's the case, my AGI 3 character need AGI 7 cyberarm, does he need to buy Attribute Increase +4 or +5? (build from 2 of basic limb or build from 3 of my meat attribute).

Also Attribute Increase can increase armor as well, how many armor I can buy with it?
max 4 per limbs? sum to 4 of all cyberlimbs? or no limit as long as there are enough capacity in that limb?

Also about availability rating in general.

- It said you can't buy any illegal gear with a availability rating 7 or higher, so I can buy any availability gear as long as it's not illegal gear?

- under gear sector, it said availability range from 1 to 6, but circumstances can push them up to 9.
So, 9 is the hard cap of availability in game?
something like power focus have [force+3] availability, so force 6 power focus is the upper limit you can get in game?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-04-19/0338:51> »
The maximum bonus you can get from cyberlimbs obeys augmented maximum. Say your natural attribute is 3. You boost your limb to 8. You roll as if it's 7 due to augmented maximum, but if you ever raise your natural value to 4 you get to roll the full 8.

The increase is bought from the Base 2.

I thought it was higher than 7I? No book at hand. But yeah it can be bigger as long as it is L or - instead of I.

I'd have to reread that section but I think it's more a general description and not a hard cap. So availability 10+ is allowed just very rare.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-04-19/0630:04> »
Nothing I that is 7 or higher.  Which from my quick scan of the Gear section is basically the Fairlight Excalibur.  Alpha, Beta, or Delta grade Augmentation could push some of the Augmentations to 7 or more. 

Cyberlimbs and Attribute Increase are both Legal so, Availability doesn't matter. 

And I would read the +4 Augmentation Max for Cyberlimbs to be based on your Natural Attribute. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <08-04-19/0648:45> »
Fairlight got errata'd: It's 6I, the value listed in the Matrix Chapter. Gamma-Scopolamine and Seven-7 are too high at 7I and 10I respectively.

I checked, it talks about 'the maximum augmented increase of 4 is in place here', on p43 the restriction is described as increase above your current rank.

Edit: Speaking of, Seven-7 proves that no, gear with availability 10+ is still possible.
« Last Edit: <08-04-19/0655:04> by Michael Chandra »

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-05-19/0527:22> »
Another problem I found about Cyberlimbs.

P288 - "Basic limbs are installed with all Physical attributes at 2"

Which mean they have BOD 2 and REA 2, too.  :P

Conclusion - don't use cyberlimbs in this edition, they're for cripple who lose their limbs, not to enhance your combat ability.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <08-05-19/0531:37> »
"Cyberlimbs can be used to add to either Agility, Armor, or Strength of the user." This suggests it's not a problem, so unless your GM gives you a hard time things aren't as bad as that, even awaiting clarification.

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-05-19/0729:03> »
"Cyberlimbs can be used to add to either Agility, Armor, or Strength of the user." This suggests it's not a problem, so unless your GM gives you a hard time things aren't as bad as that, even awaiting clarification.

"Attributes for limbs may vary, but dice pools are always built from the lowest attribute of all the limbs unless the test solely involves that singular location (gamemaster’s discretion)."

Enjoy eternal BOD 2 and REA 2 no matter your meat BOD and REA is

Soak? 2
Defense Rating? 2 + armor
Defense dice pool? 2 + INT
Initiative? 2 + INT + INI dice

And it isn't even useful for BOD 1 and REA 1 character, you will use your meat 1 anyway.
Cyberlimbs is trap option, don't even try.

PS. CGL must really really hate cyberlimbs, it get nerf every edition.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-05-19/0736:54> »
Look, I'm a proponent of "what it SAYS trumps what it MEANS", aka "RAW > RAI", aka "RAW is law!"... but the argument that a cyberlimb gives a cap of 2 to Body and Reaction is flawed. To put it charitably.  I'd wager most people would find a less charitable way to label that argument,

Cyberlimbs only have 3 attributes: Strength, Agility, and Armor.  Ergo "all physical attributes", when said in the context of Cyberlimbs, is just a way to say "Strength and Agility but not Armor".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <08-05-19/0748:35> »

"Attributes for limbs may vary, but dice pools are always built from the lowest attribute of all the limbs unless the test solely involves that singular location (gamemaster’s discretion)."

Enjoy eternal BOD 2 and REA 2 no matter your meat BOD and REA is
I consider your interpretation to be extremely unlikely, because, like I said, you can't even boost those Attributes. So the intent appears to be that they have Strength 2 and Agility 2, and you use your normal Body and Reaction. I find it unlikely a GM will try to rule-lawyer that section the way you're doing.

Also, if you already made up your mind as to what the intent is, then why are you asking anyway?

KatoHearts

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-05-19/0933:41> »
It literally says "Basic limbs are installed with all Physical attributes at 2." How do you think new players and new GMs are going to interpret that?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-05-19/1015:47> »
Poorly, so I agree that it needs to be clarified. You shouldn't only have indication half a page later that it is meant to be different and needing forum clarification.

Which is zero excuse for deliberately ignoring RAI. We can argue the rules need clarification without being dishonest about them.

seg_fault

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <08-08-19/0042:25> »
Hello,
New player. Picked up the book at GenCon.

I'm entirely confused by cyberlimbs.

I tend to learn a system by making new characters. I made a troll with a 7 STR, 8 BOD, 4 AGI. I think "it would be cool to have metal arms". So I spend 20,000 from my initial funds to purchase 2 obvious cyber arms. Cool

Now, are these operating at 9 STR / 6 AGI or 2 / 2? The street samurai character has a cyberarm with an AGI of 5 / STR of 10 which suggests the 2/2 are augmentative not replacement. Still pretty confused (amongst other issues I'm finding, I still can't find a place in the book that says you start with 6 essence other than inferring from the non-augmented character archetypes).

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <08-08-19/0244:25> »
Hello,
New player. Picked up the book at GenCon.

I'm entirely confused by cyberlimbs.

I tend to learn a system by making new characters. I made a troll with a 7 STR, 8 BOD, 4 AGI. I think "it would be cool to have metal arms". So I spend 20,000 from my initial funds to purchase 2 obvious cyber arms. Cool

Now, are these operating at 9 STR / 6 AGI or 2 / 2? The street samurai character has a cyberarm with an AGI of 5 / STR of 10 which suggests the 2/2 are augmentative not replacement. Still pretty confused (amongst other issues I'm finding, I still can't find a place in the book that says you start with 6 essence other than inferring from the non-augmented character archetypes).

Bearing in mind that I haven't read through all the rules, and this is my first edition of Shadowrun, I *think* the arms start at 2/2 base attributes, and then you can pay for increases that equal your attributes (strength & agility) equal to your current strength and agility, plus the augmentation maximum. In this case that would allow you to buy upgrades to raise the arms strength to 11 and agility to 8. If that's not correct, someone with more knowledge will correct it, I'm sure.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <08-08-19/0424:28> »
That sounds correct, you do have to watch Capacity. +6 Agi, +9 Strength is 15, which I think is exactly the Capacity of an Obvious Cyberarm.

seg_fault

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <08-08-19/0851:51> »
Ah, I was conflating the maximum augmented increase of 4 with thinking you could only add 4 attribute increases per attribute. I guess it means you can only increase an attribute 4 values beyond your character's abilities. So presumably for the example troll I describe above, to match his current attributes, he would spend 20K for the obvious limbs, then 2 for AGI, 5 for STR which is another 27k. At which point I can only go above each by 4 (which as Michael mentions is maximum for obvious cyberarm capacity).

My then question is are the archetypes built using starting character rules? The troll street samurai has a *lot* of chrome so it's not clear to me how it paid for all these augments