NEWS

Rigger without an RCC

• 6 Replies

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« on: <02-05-15/1859:36> »
Considering a rigger without an RCC.  Is this a bad idea that I should abandon now?

My thinking is that noise reduction can be accomplished with a few datajacks.  Much cheaper than an RCC.  The money I save can be spent on an Ares Roadmaster. 
The power of the RCC is jumping between vehicles/drones and the autosofts, right?  If I don't have a swarm to control and only want to use one at a time am I losing anything?

Thanks for reading.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-15/1906:17> »
If you plan on doing mostly jumping in, or being a vehicle-rigger with one drone and not a drone-swarm-rigger you don't need an RCC. The main benefits of an RCC are (1) sharing autosofts, so you only have to buy 1 copy and can spread it around a bunch of drones; (2) being able to issue the same command to all drones as one action, rather than needing to spend an action on each.

If you want to be a drone-swarm-rigger, you need an RCC. If you want to have one drone and buy autosofts for just it, you're good with just a good commlink (for high Firewall).

"A few datajacks" - as if having 5 datajacks in your head isn't a cheesy exploit that is certainly not RAI. :P
Playability > verisimilitude.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-15/1948:23> »
"A few datajacks" - as if having 5 datajacks in your head isn't a cheesy exploit that is certainly not RAI. :P

I don't have the link but I saw a 'ruling'  from Aaron (as much as what he says is a ruling) that multiple datajacks stack for additional noise reduction. 
In the fiction and art there have been been people with multiple datajacks.

I thing 10 would be unreasonable, but one is certainly reasonable.  Where does it cross from reasonable to unreasonable...in the skull of the beholder.  Perhaps your line is 2. 

Thank you for your thoughts on the use and limitations of the RCC.  That is what I was thinking, but didn't want to go too far down the rabbit-hole if I was missing something important. 

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-15/2016:03> »
Another advantage to a RCC is the ability to jump directly from one vehicle/drone to another. 

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <02-05-15/2149:26> »
On the topic of datajacks, here is a thread on them. I've had the same thoughts before, as getting 10 Noise Reduction for so cheap is incredibly broken for a Decker or Rigger. The general consensus is 2-4, IIRC. I haven't read through it in a long time.

Another advantage to a RCC is the ability to jump directly from one vehicle/drone to another.

You still need a Control Rig, but yes, that is another advantage.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-15/2155:55> »
On the topic of datajacks, here is a thread on them. I've had the same thoughts before, as getting 10 Noise Reduction for so cheap is incredibly broken for a Decker or Rigger. The general consensus is 2-4, IIRC. I haven't read through it in a long time.

Yes, you need a rig to do any jumping in.  But that was not the question.

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <02-05-15/2157:21> »

Yes, you need a rig to do any jumping in.  But that was not the question.

Sorry about that, did not mean to be argumentative. Just was pointing out that the benefit only comes into play when working in concert with a Control Rig.