NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #255 on: <09-24-14/1622:45> »
Eh, the 'hold fire' was at best, implied.

With all those complex actions,  is it possible possible to throw down a "hold your fire" before the bikes are bricked? Anyone have a halfway decent Con skill to convince them it wasn't us (or a mistake)?
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

8-bit

« Reply #256 on: <09-24-14/1628:55> »
ETA: Checked, it seems Al may have managed to send his "Al's Common Sense" message to the crew. Maybe Composure Checks to see if we can forestall the slaughter?

Patented and trademarked. Hand over 50 nuyen for use of the phrase.

As for composure, I'm all for that. Ghost isn't going to kill anyone unless he has confirmation. He's not going to let his paranoia slip though, so he'll keep his gun aimed on one of the guys.

Eh, the 'hold fire' was at best, implied.

With all those complex actions,  is it possible possible to throw down a "hold your fire" before the bikes are bricked? Anyone have a halfway decent Con skill to convince them it wasn't us (or a mistake)?

Maybe not me for the Con check. I'm defaulting to 2 dice there.
« Last Edit: <09-24-14/1631:09> by 8-bit »

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #257 on: <09-24-14/1705:24> »
Luz has a CHA of 2 and nothing in Con. She'll Edge it if necessary. The upside of her is that she's a tank and has the best chance to soak any retaliation if it goes bad.
« Last Edit: <09-24-14/1707:21> by Lusis »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #258 on: <09-24-14/1707:55> »
I'm sort of hoping that Al's comment happens in CT1/IP1 before anyone really has a chance to start doing damage, personally.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #259 on: <09-24-14/1713:53> »
I'm sort of hoping that Al's comment happens in CT1/IP1 before anyone really has a chance to start doing damage, personally.

Same here, but Ghost is a completely different person in the heat of combat. He may have been somewhat friendly and more willing to work with people, but in combat he just falls back into instincts. He differentiates between enemies, allies, and in this case, people he has to guard. He'll show some restraint until he gets some kind of confirmation that he can go for the kill, but I doubt he'll put his weapons away; at least not until the Ancients are well out of sight.

adamu

« Reply #260 on: <09-24-14/1819:20> »
* I am just so anal - I hate retconning, and we have the GM's word on exactly what has actually happened so far - the bricking, and their response, which is only a natural defensive posture on their part (no blame on Csjarrat, by the way - name of the game is role-playing, and if that is how Morgan is, then more's the fun).

* But I am now hearing everyone happy to try to make nice.

* NEVER stop the convoy, I think, but at two miles an hour, a person on foot could easily JOG out ahead and just chat the elves up.

* I see about half of us are online right now. If anyone else wants to go have a friendly pow wow, go for it. If not, Al will just as soon as I wrap up some posts over on Dumpshock.

adamu

« Reply #261 on: <09-24-14/1821:15> »
Well!

Looks like Lusis stepped up even as I typed.

Way to go!

Al will just talk to our circus people for a minute, thenkeep whoever looks like the leader/biggest threat in his cross-hairs, then.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #262 on: <09-24-14/1827:01> »
Yeah this is going to be dependent on how Aria interprets the sequence of events. Are those two bikes actually bricked at this point?

Luz has 4 dice for a Intimidation roll plus another 5 in Edge dice. We might convince these bastards that air cover and hardware might not be worth the prize, if indeed they are hostile.

We could also pay them a "protection fee" for passage.

adamu

« Reply #263 on: <09-24-14/1830:20> »
Second that last - if the bikes are bricked, then we'll have to make it up to them, since fighting us means dying, but wussing out will hurt their rep so bad it'll be worse than dying.
They know how badass their back-up is, and they know we know it.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #264 on: <09-24-14/1832:52> »
Well, Aria has said they're bricked, so I guess they're bricked. Sorry Faces, good luck with the diplomacy... hopefully no one decides they don't like the cut of Oblique's jib and posts that they shoot him in the face before this is all over.

Harrier is maintaining his hover in front of the zeppelin, weapon sensor locked, etc. He's not much for diplomacy, other than gun diplomacy.
« Last Edit: <09-24-14/1835:10> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #265 on: <09-24-14/1840:34> »
Eh, I'd just like to keep this from turning into the Battle of Mogadishu, or retreat from Concord. Since their main advantage is numbers and mobility.

BTW when Luz approaches, she'll use the MAD and cyberware scanners in her mask to size-up the Ancients. She'll also turn on her Jammer (rating 4) and exclude friendly signals.

8-bit

« Reply #266 on: <09-24-14/1850:39> »
* I am just so anal - I hate retconning, and we have the GM's word on exactly what has actually happened so far - the bricking, and their response, which is only a natural defensive posture on their part (no blame on Csjarrat, by the way - name of the game is role-playing, and if that is how Morgan is, then more's the fun).

I too am like that, I hate retconning anything. I would rather delay something than have to retcon to fit it in.

* But I am now hearing everyone happy to try to make nice.

Oh sure, I'm happy to make nice. I separate my OOC mindset from my IC mindset completely. Ghost has heard only about hostiles; only just heard they are Ancients. We've already attacked them and they are on edge. He's not going to give up the paranoia, and he sure as hell is just waiting for kill confirmation. He doesn't think diplomacy is going to happen at this point. As 8-bit, I would highly prefer not to completely piss off the Ancients and have their enormous gang basically wage war with us throughout the ride. I'm not going to change what Ghost does simply because I, looking at it from a narrative viewpoint, can see that diplomacy is highly preferable.

* NEVER stop the convoy, I think, but at two miles an hour, a person on foot could easily JOG out ahead and just chat the elves up.

Hell, I could probably walk to them in 3 seconds. I doubt that I'm the best situated for this job though. Ghost works fine with planning and everything, but when you get to combat and everyone is feeling trigger-happy, his instincts (like I've said before) are going to take over. It's totally logical paranoia, and he is not going to talk to someone who's pointing a gun in his direction. I don't think he can bluff himself out of that.

Yeah this is going to be dependent on how Aria interprets the sequence of events. Are those two bikes actually bricked at this point?

Luz has 4 dice for a Intimidation roll plus another 5 in Edge dice. We might convince these bastards that air cover and hardware might not be worth the prize, if indeed they are hostile.

We could also pay them a "protection fee" for passage.

I'm fine with that, Ghost will stay behind covering you when you go to have a chat with them. If things go sideways, just text him; he'll shoot. Don't do it before though, because Ghost doesn't trust the Ancients and is ready to fight at the first sign of betrayal.

Second that last - if the bikes are bricked, then we'll have to make it up to them, since fighting us means dying, but wussing out will hurt their rep so bad it'll be worse than dying.
They know how badass their back-up is, and they know we know it.

Thirded. My opinion is that if their bikes are bricked (which I have a feeling they are), then we have absolutely got to make it up to them, or one of our two parties isn't making it out of here.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #267 on: <09-24-14/1857:01> »
So if their bikes are bricked, then other than proximity, how can they tell it was us?

I assume that in SR, finding something to brick is as easy as finding it in the matrix.

8-bit

« Reply #268 on: <09-24-14/1902:29> »
So if their bikes are bricked, then other than proximity, how can they tell it was us?

I assume that in SR, finding something to brick is as easy as finding it in the matrix.

100% true. It makes it unlikely depending on distance though, because noise just makes stuff harder to see. Hell, someone who is 500 meters away is probably not even going to be interested in the bikes, let alone brick them. So, all the suspicion is on us. We're going to be guilty until proven innocent.

adamu

« Reply #269 on: <09-24-14/1906:30> »
Oh sure, I'm happy to make nice. I separate my OOC mindset from my IC mindset completely. Ghost has heard only about hostiles; only just heard they are Ancients. We've already attacked them and they are on edge. He's not going to give up the paranoia, and he sure as hell is just waiting for kill confirmation. He doesn't think diplomacy is going to happen at this point. As 8-bit, I would highly prefer not to completely piss off the Ancients and have their enormous gang basically wage war with us throughout the ride. I'm not going to change what Ghost does simply because I, looking at it from a narrative viewpoint, can see that diplomacy is highly preferable.

Wholeheartedly agree with the separating the IC and OOC mindsets!!!

Thing is, standing down from a confrontation with the Ancients is fully IC. In fact, if you'll look at the post timestamps, you'll see that Al's cautionary text about Ancients was typed exactly at the same moment Aria was typing the big GM-OOC update. I was just guessing based on previous knowledge test (which was mostly well-known to any Seattle runner and SR player anyway).
And based on that hunch, Al spoke IC to the team.
Slowing things down makes good tactical sense both IC and OOC.