NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #165 on: <09-16-14/1335:24> »
@CT
I'm assuming we're like 10-15 min into the trip?
That was my assumption.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #166 on: <09-16-14/1402:12> »
@CT

I figured 10-15 minutes getting zeppelined in; 30 minutes before the meeting to get settled/brief checkout of security, and 15 minutes for the meeting. I thought about an hour had passed, maybe I'm overestimating. I don't think I would have been able to check over the whole 2 trains poor security for holes in less than 30 minutes (checking 150+ meters pretty thoroughly), so that was my figuring. Might be closer to 30-45 minutes that passed.

Then again, I could be wrong. It has been known to happen occasionally.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #167 on: <09-16-14/1509:06> »
An hour sounds about right but I'm flexible...as I'm writing the IC I'm assuming you are catching Oblique as the convoy has begun moving so 15mins or so into the journey...it's not that important to me, you'll have a reasonable amount of prep time before the sh*t hits the spinning thing  :o
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #168 on: <09-16-14/1542:54> »
Ok IC is up.  I know some of you have better responses than others and I will try and balance out things as we go but it's all relevant to all of you so happy reading... :D

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #169 on: <09-16-14/1607:40> »
Ok IC is up.  I k
now some of you have better responses than others and I will try and balance out things as we go but it's all relevant to all of you so happy reading... :D
Great, thanks!
What are the host ratings we're working with?
Are there any active patrol IC?
I'd like to get a list of commcodes with marks applicable to the host, what do you want me to roll?
The intent is to delete old user permissions to help plug obvious holes.
What is morgans' impression of the security of the host?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #170 on: <09-16-14/1619:33> »
Thanks for the update, Aria! Good stuff. My only question is about whether you handle Knowledge rolls in the OOC/IC or through PM. Adamu and I rolled a few knowledge checks but I am not sure if they turned anything up. Thanks!
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #171 on: <09-16-14/1629:55> »
Likewise, I did a matrix perception check as well.  But that was pretty far back.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #172 on: <09-16-14/1715:17> »
Sorry, may have lost some rolls along the way in the wall of text  :o

Although having just looked up matrix perception for another game I think you need to ask a specific question per hit...???  I know that's easier when you get a response in real time but I'm happy for you to ask the number and you can follow up on answers afterwards...

I will now have to go away and read up host ratings again so I don't give you a nonsensical answer, matrix still not my strongest SR5 knowledge as it's probably changed the most from 4...

Bear with me, got meetings tomorrow so might not get a response until Thur...feel free to guestimate a sensible answer and I can tweak it if it doesn't quite match my vision :)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #173 on: <09-16-14/1720:03> »
No problem, Aria.

So you don't have to search, I know I (Harrier) made a hopefully amusing Conspiracy Theory Knowledge check on the Cirque de l'Ombre and Al made a hopefully more useful Puyallup Area Knowledge to get an idea of the threats we might face in crossing the area.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #174 on: <09-16-14/1722:50> »
@Aria

A few questions then.

Regarding the Zeppelin: If it can fly at whatever height, how much fuel does it have? It seems like it would be costly to keep it running all the time. I'm assuming it can keep pace just fine with the convoy, but is it obvious to see when it's in the air? How shielded/resistant to bullets is it? I would rather not sit in it 50 meters up then suddenly drop from it getting shot up with bullets. Finally, what are the visibility conditions? The idea is that I will sit in the zeppelin providing sniping and overwatch, but if I can't see anything, I don't think I will be very helpful.

Passage of Time: How much time has passed? It's only a 10 hour ride, and I'm assuming we've used 1-2 hours already. How long does it take to chat all these people up and move around getting stuff set up? I'm guessing that will eventually be answered in IC, but I have the feeling the bad guys won't give us 8 hours to set up.

You've probably already seen my text to Torrent; I'm looking forward to your response.
I'd say fuel for the Zep isn't that much of an issue, it'll have fuel cells and a recharging battery for more or less continuous (slow) flight.  It's a big gas bag though so not that bullet resistant!  Visibilty as mentioned is poor and getting worse...treat as light smoke around the convoy going to heavy about 100m out and max normal visibility is probably 200m.  Thermal is a bit screwy too because of the ash (although my physics might be a bit dubious on that one so feel free to set me straight if that sounds like bollocks!)

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #175 on: <09-16-14/1730:48> »
@CT

Sorry, may have lost some rolls along the way in the wall of text  :o

Although having just looked up matrix perception for another game I think you need to ask a specific question per hit...???  I know that's easier when you get a response in real time but I'm happy for you to ask the number and you can follow up on answers afterwards...

I will now have to go away and read up host ratings again so I don't give you a nonsensical answer, matrix still not my strongest SR5 knowledge as it's probably changed the most from 4...

Bear with me, got meetings tomorrow so might not get a response until Thur...feel free to guestimate a sensible answer and I can tweak it if it doesn't quite match my vision :)

Okay, looks like I got 8 hits, but a limit of 4... so 4 questions! Matrix Perception (Int(4) + Computer(6) + Matrix Perception(2) + Technomancer(2) + VR(2) - Public Grid(2) [4]): 14d6t5 8
#1 Anything running silent (I'm assuming LOTS of things, but it becomes an opposed test, so they'd each roll Logic + Sleaze and I'd get to ask questions on those based on net hits from what I read on page 241 of SR5)
#2 What rating is the host
#3 What do I see that's slaved to the host
#4 What rating is the sensor net

(PS: If anyone has a better idea for questions I should be asking, please let me know.  I'm a newb!)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #176 on: <09-16-14/1734:06> »
I'd say fuel for the Zep isn't that much of an issue, it'll have fuel cells and a recharging battery for more or less continuous (slow) flight.  It's a big gas bag though so not that bullet resistant!
Considering how slow the convoy is going, you might be able to tether it as well.

Visibilty as mentioned is poor and getting worse...treat as light smoke around the convoy going to heavy about 100m out and max normal visibility is probably 200m.  Thermal is a bit screwy too because of the ash (although my physics might be a bit dubious on that one so feel free to set me straight if that sounds like bollocks!)
I doubt the ash is particularly hot, as I think most of it fell long ago, with maybe some bouts of additional volcanic activity. From a game mechanic perspective, the only ways to improve visibility penalties is through thermographic and ultrasound, with the latter only working out to 50 meters or so.  Each of them only shift visibility up one row, so there isn't much you can do to them other than making them inoperable.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #177 on: <09-16-14/1746:37> »
PS: If anyone has a better idea for questions I should be asking, please let me know.  I'm a newb!
To be honest, it's a test with no consequence for failure that (in VR) you can perform several times over three seconds. Given a few minutes, you really should be able to learn all of the main things you want to know (P.S. You also may be dealing with Noise Penalties since Puyallup is a Barrens).

For the Host: Rating and three of its matrix attributes, you can calculate the last one. (EDIT: I always forget about Grids, it might be helpful to know what Grid the Host is on).

Silent Running Devices: This might be a little more challenging. Succeeding on a test identifies that there are icons out there within 100 meters. Then it turns into a separate resisted test to see if you spot them which should reveal basic information (i.e. Gun Device Icon, etc) assuming they aren't also using the Wrapper program. Once you've spotted them, you can do normal Matrix Perception tests on those icons to determine additional information like device rating, etc.

Stuff Slaved to the Host: You would probably have to perceive the individual device icons to determine if it is slaved to the Host. Or (optionally) if you log into the Host, I would suggest you automatically spot any devices slaved to the Host since you are considered to be directly connected to them.
« Last Edit: <09-16-14/1814:32> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #178 on: <09-16-14/1747:50> »
I doubt the ash is particularly hot, as I think most of it fell long ago, with maybe some bouts of additional volcanic activity. From a game mechanic perspective, the only ways to improve visibility penalties is through thermographic and ultrasound, with the latter only working out to 50 meters or so.  Each of them only shift visibility up one row, so there isn't much you can do to them other than making them inoperable.

Slightly off topic, but how do thermographic and low-light stack?  Low-Light says, "Treat Partial Light and Dim Light as Full Light" and thermo says "Visibility and Light conditions shift one row up."  If the light condions are Total Darkness, and thermo moves it up to Dim, would Low-Light take that to Full Light?  Or do they not stack at all?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #179 on: <09-16-14/1753:33> »
Slightly off topic, but how do thermographic and low-light stack?  Low-Light says, "Treat Partial Light and Dim Light as Full Light" and thermo says "Visibility and Light conditions shift one row up."  If the light condions are Total Darkness, and thermo moves it up to Dim, would Low-Light take that to Full Light?  Or do they not stack at all?
Good question, I don't think it's actually addressed in the book. I don't think they would stack rationally, given that one basically enhances ambient light in the normal spectrum and the other allows you to see in a different part of the spectrum. WRT light modifiers, it seems like it would make sense to take the one that provides the best benefit for the current situation (i.e. low-light for everything other than full darkness) but allow the thermo benefit to visibility apply regardless. That's just like, my opinion, though. :D
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal