NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #150 on: <09-15-14/0819:57> »
Luz can best serve by being security on one of the trains, or even riding in another, fast, vehicle securing danger areas.

Preferably, we send out a couple vehicles ahead to recon and trip ambushes. If we get hit, the trains stop. The combat drones can stay near the trains and act as a quick reaction force for the recon (when) they get in contact. A drone or two can put their sensors to use helping the recon element.

The thing that is going to screw us is the pathetic speed of the trains. If they get hit, they can't do shit. We might as well dismount everyone and have them run for cover. Anyone wanting to attack it is going to get it.  Why in the hell would anyone use something this slow, when semi -trailers and buses can do it more efficiently? Are they running on two cylinders? Powered by a team of squirrels? It might be worth it to talk to the drivers and see if there's any potential to get these thing moving faster in an emergency.

Also, isn't this a circus that uses magic? So why can't we ask the mages in the troupe for a little support if things get bad?
Given the terrain you are moving through I thought about 2mph seemed about right...although you are vaguely following a former road it's under about a meter of shifting ash and crap, and the odd rusted car...the trains can go faster if necessary but why waste the fuel, what's the rush after all?  Max speed is probably about 30mph in any terrain, but that will burn out the power plants fast!

Yes there are mages, probably with an illusion focus.  Assume they aren't exactly combat capable but will be able to pitch in if told what to do...
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #151 on: <09-15-14/0827:00> »
ETA: Csjarrat, if I fuck up on my British lexicon, let me know. I'm going to wait on hearing back from Aria before I answer the fuel deal. I'm not exactly sure how much flying I'm going to be allowed to do, so I'd rather not make something up that doesn't fit.
The drones will have much better efficiency on fuel than the chopper but I would still assume that they work in a shift pattern and refuel/recharge in downtime.  I would say probably either do looping patrols with the chopper and then land for a bit or just launch when a threat is detected (er, quite often perhaps, this being the barrens  :o)...don't worry, when the sh*t hits the fan I won't be giving you some crap about not being in the chopper you've spent half your character build points on  ;D

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #152 on: <09-15-14/0829:22> »
@CT
Once we know more of what we are expecting/expected to protect I think we can come up with a more concrete plan, but at this point I like the idea of getting those we are protecting in one secure location.  Even with 6 or 8 of us, covering the whole train and other vehicles is going to stretch us too thin.  With each train at 50m, figure 125m from head to tail with the assorted vehicles running as far as 25m around, so we've got about a 175m diameter we need to cover.  No matter what, if something is coming in fast we are going to have problems somewhere.  Assuming we have both living and non-living things to secure, I'd suggest having the people in one train and items in the other.  Morgan can provide OW on one, and BT on the other.

@Aria, how high does the zeplin hang out over the train.  I think that might be a good place for one of us.  Put the zeplin 20-50m over one of the trains and have astral/matrix overwatch from there.
Within reason it can be the height you want it to be, you are running security.  Don't forget the circus members aren't exactly helpless in dealing with 'normal' threats like gangers...you are here because...well I'll get to that bit...  ;D

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #153 on: <09-15-14/0842:18> »
Could you guys use another close-range combative type?
Always  :D

Feel free to come and join the IC mayhem!

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #154 on: <09-15-14/0847:08> »
Phew, I've read through all the OoC, answered what I can off the top of my head and saved a couple of titbits for answering in a bit...I'll work through the IC now.  Sorry, I probably should have done a combined post response but as it is please scroll back to the beginning of my responses from the last hour and hopefully I will get some more info to you ASAP!

EDIT: Part way up page 10 was the beginning of my responses...

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #155 on: <09-15-14/0917:35> »
All righty then. Could I get a quick summation so I don't need to go through every post of so many pages? That should help at least a bit with making an appropriate entry.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #156 on: <09-15-14/0933:21> »
@CT

Aria: When you get the chance, can you add Harrier into the list of PCs on pg 1? His character sheet and rolls are on p.6 of the OOC thread. Thanks!

ETA: I'm going to assume that our knowledge checks are pending for now.

Quote from: Aria
the chopper you've spent half your character build points on
Hey now, it was only like 100K! That's probably cheaper than some of these folks' Cyberware or Decks. Harrier tries to be frugal! :P
« Last Edit: <09-16-14/1335:53> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #157 on: <09-15-14/1212:37> »
Phew, I've read through all the OoC, answered what I can off the top of my head and saved a couple of titbits for answering in a bit...I'll work through the IC now.  Sorry, I probably should have done a combined post response but as it is please scroll back to the beginning of my responses from the last hour and hopefully I will get some more info to you ASAP!

EDIT: Part way up page 10 was the beginning of my responses...
Don't forget me! I need the matrix host and network infrastructure describing :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

8-bit

« Reply #158 on: <09-15-14/1253:34> »
Quote from: Aria
the chopper you've spent half your character build points on
Hey now, it was only like 100K! That's probably cheaper than some of these folks' Cyberware or Decks. Harrier tries to be frugal! :P

*Looks at character sheet* Yeah, I would say 371,150 nuyen is slightly more.

@Aria

I did roleplay instead of roll play. I hope you enjoy reading through the IC, I sure did.

No problems with taking a little bit of time to answer questions, at least you answer them. I've seen a few games where it's like 1 post a week. I would just like to give my thanks for GMing this game, there never seems to be enough GMs compared to players.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #159 on: <09-15-14/1420:55> »
@Aria

I did roleplay instead of roll play. I hope you enjoy reading through the IC, I sure did.

No problems with taking a little bit of time to answer questions, at least you answer them. I've seen a few games where it's like 1 post a week. I would just like to give my thanks for GMing this game, there never seems to be enough GMs compared to players.

Want to add my thanks as well!  There's never enough GMs :)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #160 on: <09-15-14/1422:04> »
Thirded
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #161 on: <09-16-14/0823:22> »
All righty then. Could I get a quick summation so I don't need to go through every post of so many pages? That should help at least a bit with making an appropriate entry.
Post 1 of the IC gives some description of the land trains (I think?!?, otherwise there's some more buried in the OoC somewhere now)...the runners have arrived at the convoy crossing Puyallup, bitched and moaned about security (:D), had a quick meeting and are now splitting up to provide cover...I guess plans will be tinkered with when I finally answer some more questions...

For ease I suggest we assume you were at the meeting but remained quiet while the others were speaking.  Not enough has happened for that to feel like a retcon and another late arrival would seem a bit staged now that Harrier has dropped in on the party.  If you are not comfortable with that you could be a runner they picked up in Tarislar or possibly further afield and you are along for the ride...?

@Aria: When you get the chance, can you add Harrier into the list of PCs on pg 1? His character sheet and rolls are on p.6 of the OOC thread. Thanks!
Done!

Ah shucks  ::) ...wait until I start trying to mess with your heads, just ask adamu about the LG thead  ;) (Need an 'evil' smilie lol)
« Last Edit: <09-16-14/0827:08> by Aria »

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #162 on: <09-16-14/0839:39> »
@Aria

Re. Conversation with Frank (and hopefully Tyrone)

Would like to chat these guys up as we ride.
One question/exchange at a time could take us about 2.3 years in PbP time, so thought I would give you a list of the sorts of things Al will be asking about.
Then, if you could just let me know what he finds, or doesn't find, I can work all that into one IC post.
And it'll read more naturally than a bunch of monologues back and forth!

The rig -
- does it have dual controls for both, or do they have to change seats?  They change over
- are either of them rigging it?  Rudimentary rigging controls – assuming such things still exist in SR5(?!?)
- security - assume they use codes - Al will try to get the codes for both trains, inviting them to get the okay from Oblique if they are reticent easy enough to change afterwards so they’ll give you the codes…
- also try to gather whatever info I can that will give me a head start in milking these things for better performance using Gearhead and/or Juryrigger qualities.  they’ll talk torque and drive units for hours…happy listening :D
- Brought by own tools, but do they have a place on this train for tools and spare parts, and where is it? Who usually does maintenance?  vehicle tools are probably in a central location on each train, probably near the main power plant.  There are lots of other tools in various locations for erecting the circus etc… there will be two or three mechanics on the staff

Them -
- are they associated with the circus, or just hired for this run?  in it for the ling run!
- if they are circus folk, what about this train itself? Was it hired for this run across the ash, or do they use it regularly? Did they come up to Tarislar from Salish lands?  It belongs to the circus, they hire a ship to cross oceans but otherwise this convoy goes everywhere.  Their last stop was in Portland in the Tir
Seems with all these personal family vehicles, etc. and the expense lf a train like this, that they must generally travel in this manner…
- If so, do they already have a security protocol if hit by bandits/go-gangs? Do they circle the wagons? Place the trains parallel and use the RVs to plug the ends? What can we expect this caravan and its denizens to do - of their own accord - when things go poopy?  first priority will be to secure the performers as they are the most valuable asset, then the families and finally the support staff (who are the ones doing the securing, plus any outside contractors)…only then do they worry about ‘property’ …as has been pointed out the trains are a bit ponderous to ‘circle the wagons’ and I don’t think they’d have a protocol as such.  There’s an audible and AR alarm if there’s a problem and plans get made ‘on the fly’ so a security nightmare waiting to happen :D

- Who is Oblique? Do they trust him? Who does Oblique answer to? He’s the circus boss, presumably to the money men, whoever the hell they may be
- Do they know any reason for the heavier security? Or is hiring local freelancers just normal? Seems normal enough to them…bad stretch of town, get some more warm bodies to watch the flanks…

And whatever interesting springs out of that conversation…

Obviously this assumes they are chatty, and that we have an hour or so before anything happens.

But just whatever I can get off that list will be very helpful.
Thanks!

@gm, please can you describe the host as I see it? Also, please use my matrix perception checks for more detailed information (though I believe I'm set up as an admin so should have full information available for things like host ratings)
I’ve not forgotten, going into the IC now!

@All, I’ve updated the master contacts list with a few of the performers I’ve conjured out of thin air, there may be more as the plot progresses but I’ll try and keep the list up to date…

A note on pay as I saw that earlier in the OoC: bear in mind that 2075 rewards are abstracted away from the reality of 'getting paid for a run' and could represent investments or a piece of paydata finally selling...depends how much you post.  For reference I'd guess that a 10 hour babysitting job you'd probably be employed for around 5K each plus expenses (including fuel for Harrier as that's likely to be more than his pay lol...)

8-bit

« Reply #163 on: <09-16-14/1124:40> »
@CT

A note on pay as I saw that earlier in the OoC: bear in mind that 2075 rewards are abstracted away from the reality of 'getting paid for a run' and could represent investments or a piece of paydata finally selling...depends how much you post.  For reference I'd guess that a 10 hour babysitting job you'd probably be employed for around 5K each plus expenses (including fuel for Harrier as that's likely to be more than his pay lol...)

That makes much more sense than 50k.

@Aria

A few questions then.

Regarding the Zeppelin: If it can fly at whatever height, how much fuel does it have? It seems like it would be costly to keep it running all the time. I'm assuming it can keep pace just fine with the convoy, but is it obvious to see when it's in the air? How shielded/resistant to bullets is it? I would rather not sit in it 50 meters up then suddenly drop from it getting shot up with bullets. Finally, what are the visibility conditions? The idea is that I will sit in the zeppelin providing sniping and overwatch, but if I can't see anything, I don't think I will be very helpful.

Passage of Time: How much time has passed? It's only a 10 hour ride, and I'm assuming we've used 1-2 hours already. How long does it take to chat all these people up and move around getting stuff set up? I'm guessing that will eventually be answered in IC, but I have the feeling the bad guys won't give us 8 hours to set up.

You've probably already seen my text to Torrent; I'm looking forward to your response.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #164 on: <09-16-14/1317:58> »
@CT

I've not even started talking with Oblique yet.  I'm assuming we're like 10-15 min into the trip?  Am I completely off time line here?
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal