NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #105 on: <09-11-14/2209:18> »
Cool. This weekend I'm sure to catch up with you guys.
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #106 on: <09-12-14/0145:13> »
@CT
Crap.  I had a big long post written up to respond and lost it before I could post.  I'll re-write in the morning.

Short of it: BT agrees in part with Luz, but makes some points on detail about how to treat the protectees.  Introduces himself to Harrier with a quick rundown of what he and Morgan have done so far.  And then excuses himself to go find Oblique.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #107 on: <09-12-14/0805:10> »
@CT
Crap.  I had a big long post written up to respond and lost it before I could post.  I'll re-write in the morning.
I hate that... I've made it a habit now to copy everything before I hit the post button, just in case.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #108 on: <09-12-14/1432:36> »
@CT

OK, in an effort to keep up the good flow for Circus Tricks without leaving anyone in the dust IC, maybe we can work out some of the planning here OOC and incorporate that into our posts when we eventually make them? I realize we have significant intelligence gaps WRT the charges we are protecting, but if we consider each of the trains as an entity to be protected (rather than all of the individuals inside), how do we want to layout our defenses?

- Harrier can set up something of a security perimeter between his eight drones (5 surveillance/3 combat), although remember that drones are pretty damn squishy in SR5 and aren't the best shots in the world. This can be supplemented to a degree with the Wasp, but I don't think I'm going to be allowed to maintain a 10-hour overwatch.

- If one of the Awakened can provide a spirit for astral surveillance/protection, that would be a big plus.

- Seems like we have matrix support, so sprites or agents to provide Matrix overwatch/support? It would assume the land trains probably have icons of some sort (at least the lead vehicles).

Thoughts, additions, other stuff?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #109 on: <09-12-14/1510:42> »
Luz can best serve by being security on one of the trains, or even riding in another, fast, vehicle securing danger areas.

Preferably, we send out a couple vehicles ahead to recon and trip ambushes. If we get hit, the trains stop. The combat drones can stay near the trains and act as a quick reaction force for the recon (when) they get in contact. A drone or two can put their sensors to use helping the recon element.

The thing that is going to screw us is the pathetic speed of the trains. If they get hit, they can't do shit. We might as well dismount everyone and have them run for cover. Anyone wanting to attack it is going to get it.  Why in the hell would anyone use something this slow, when semi -trailers and buses can do it more efficiently? Are they running on two cylinders? Powered by a team of squirrels? It might be worth it to talk to the drivers and see if there's any potential to get these thing moving faster in an emergency.

Also, isn't this a circus that uses magic? So why can't we ask the mages in the troupe for a little support if things get bad?

adamu

« Reply #110 on: <09-12-14/1655:02> »
The speed is mighty slow.

But I am sensing that we might not all be on the same page with regard to the nature of the Puyallup Barrens.

Just re-studying the source fluff, the Redmond Barrens is a giant slum.

But Puyallup really is barren - places like Hell's Kitchen are literally ash waste.

Aria can of course correct me, but `i think roads and even reasonably passable terrain are big ifs here. Thus this sort of land-train specifically developed for deep desert/antarctic crossings.

I thnk that is why we all used air transport to get down to Tarislar on the south end.

Another point is that, slow they may be, they will be almost impossible to stop. Need an RPG to take out a tire, and need to take out five or six tires to really slow it down. And the body rating on the engine rigs has got to be crazy.

Just trying to see some upside!

adamu

« Reply #111 on: <09-12-14/1700:12> »

ETA: Aside from specific threats that we might not yet have information about, does anyone have area knowledge skills that might be applicable to figuring out what general threats we might be facing in the Puyallup Barrens? Gangs, Toxic Spirits, Crazy Mages, Critters, etc?

Hmmm, seems like  broad question, but I do have Puyallup Barrens as a knowledge skill.

Int + skill
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4641264/
8d6.hits(5) → [4,2,6,5,5,6,1,2] = (4)

Hmm, good roll.

Any helpful hints on likely threats in this situation, Aria?

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #112 on: <09-12-14/1729:07> »
@CT

- Seems like we have matrix support, so sprites or agents to provide Matrix overwatch/support? It would assume the land trains probably have icons of some sort (at least the lead vehicles).

Yeah, I've done the rolls for getting a registered Machine Sprite.  He can help you out with your gear specifically.  Was planning on using smaller compiled data sprite to help with overwatch.  But honestly, BT is pretty well suited for Matrix OW.  So, he'd take shifts doing that anyway... that and entertaing a few of the entertainers :)

8-bit

« Reply #113 on: <09-12-14/1740:42> »
@CT

OK, in an effort to keep up the good flow for Circus Tricks without leaving anyone in the dust IC, maybe we can work out some of the planning here OOC and incorporate that into our posts when we eventually make them? I realize we have significant intelligence gaps WRT the charges we are protecting, but if we consider each of the trains as an entity to be protected (rather than all of the individuals inside), how do we want to layout our defenses?

- Harrier can set up something of a security perimeter between his eight drones (5 surveillance/3 combat), although remember that drones are pretty damn squishy in SR5 and aren't the best shots in the world. This can be supplemented to a degree with the Wasp, but I don't think I'm going to be allowed to maintain a 10-hour overwatch.

- If one of the Awakened can provide a spirit for astral surveillance/protection, that would be a big plus.

We have a serious lack of intelligence, which Bittorent and I should be solving by contacting Oblique/Torrent respectively. Other than that, here are my thoughts.

We need to be able to identify threats and tell where they are. In terms of your drones, I see them more as recon rather than a fighting force. If we can tell where we have a security breach, we can swiftly move to cover it. Yes, it would be nice to have some awakened support, but he might be busy at the moment. Depending on what we are fighting, a spirit may be necessary just to hold stuff off.

In terms of how my character can best help, I'm with Luz here. I can't do anything matrix or astrally, but I can probably handle a small squad of goons. However, without knowing what we are facing, the sheer size of the train will prevent me from being able to pick a good spot to snipe/ambush from. I mean, if I have to run from the top of train 1 to the bottom of train 2, I'm assuming that's probably a good 2 combat turns worth of movement (even with my 44m run rate). Can't protect any circus people if enemies have that much time to attack.

I'm starting to gravitate towards keeping all of the VIPs + circus people in one section of the trains. Sure, it creates a huge target and god knows what kind of AoE our enemies are packing. However, it seems like the only feasible way to defend anything. If we spread everything out, we only have maybe 2 people that can cover each zone of the train, more likely one. If a zone gets swarmed with enemies, I don't know if the rest of the team can come help them in time.  Any security threats we are going to need to hit with overpowering force, we need to pull out all the stops, in my opinion. Unless we can identify as a decoy, we have way too much area to cover, and (from the size and diversity of our team) probably way too many angles we need to defend. Why would we have Astral support, Matrix support, and Aerial support unless we were expecting something either large, expecting waves of enemies, or expecting that our enemies had a lot of diversity as well that we need to be able to defend against?

I say we use our quiet first couple of hours to set up Matrix, Astral, and physical defenses; move the people we need to protect into an easier to defend location, and then look sharp. We have what, 8 runners? We can probably cover a good 150 - 200 meters area of the train. I think this train is moving as fast as it can, after all, who wants to spend more time in the Puyallup Barrens then is necessary? If it is moving as fast as it can, it's still going to be a nightmare to prevent anyone getting on, but if we cover our area well then we can at least deal with it. Also, Lusis brought up a good point, let's see if the circus magicians can help if necessary. Not that we should rely on them, after all, we have no idea of their magical strength, but they might be helpful. Maybe find out if they have any healing magic among the circus, that would be useful for obvious reasons.

Of course, this is all dependent on if we can get everything up in time, if we can convince people to move, if we can make sure nobody we are protecting does anything stupid, and if we get a little more intel. This is also only a first draft of a strategy, if anyone has anything to add, feel free. My brain is apparently not working so great right now, so this may be a stupid plan that needs some revisions.

Edit:

As an aside, I'm very happy at how active everyone who is part of this group is. I've seen some games where nobody posts for like weeks. Makes me very glad that I actually can coordinate stuff like the above with you guys instead of waiting a week to move forward the tiniest bit.
« Last Edit: <09-12-14/1747:24> by 8-bit »

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #114 on: <09-12-14/1748:09> »
Seconded, best defence set up is to do a fighting retreat. Center the performers in the middle and defend the perimiter and fall back in stages.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #115 on: <09-12-14/1803:48> »
@CT
In terms of how my character can best help, I'm with Luz here. I can't do anything matrix or astrally, but I can probably handle a small squad of goons. However, without knowing what we are facing, the sheer size of the train will prevent me from being able to pick a good spot to snipe/ambush from. I mean, if I have to run from the top of train 1 to the bottom of train 2, I'm assuming that's probably a good 2 combat turns worth of movement (even with my 44m run rate). Can't protect any circus people if enemies have that much time to attack.
The helicopter might help here to provide support from one end of the train to the other if we're getting swarmed, but I get the feeling from Aria that I'll be fairly limited in its use.

Why would we have Astral support, Matrix support, and Aerial support unless we were expecting something either large, expecting waves of enemies, or expecting that our enemies had a lot of diversity as well that we need to be able to defend against?
LOL, because those were the characters the players wanted to play.  ;)

I say we use our quiet first couple of hours to set up Matrix, Astral, and physical defenses; move the people we need to protect into an easier to defend location, and then look sharp.
Agreed, although I think this is going to be easier said than done. I doubt we're going to be given carte blanche here as you mention.

Hopefully we'll get some more detail soon from Oblique and Torrent regarding exactly what we're supposed to protect and what degree of control we're going to have. We may have none and are just going to be expected to deal with the situation as presented. Hey, it'll be fun!

ETA: Csjarrat, if I fuck up on my British lexicon, let me know. I'm going to wait on hearing back from Aria before I answer the fuel deal. I'm not exactly sure how much flying I'm going to be allowed to do, so I'd rather not make something up that doesn't fit.
« Last Edit: <09-12-14/1806:27> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #116 on: <09-12-14/1806:28> »
@CT
Once we know more of what we are expecting/expected to protect I think we can come up with a more concrete plan, but at this point I like the idea of getting those we are protecting in one secure location.  Even with 6 or 8 of us, covering the whole train and other vehicles is going to stretch us too thin.  With each train at 50m, figure 125m from head to tail with the assorted vehicles running as far as 25m around, so we've got about a 175m diameter we need to cover.  No matter what, if something is coming in fast we are going to have problems somewhere.  Assuming we have both living and non-living things to secure, I'd suggest having the people in one train and items in the other.  Morgan can provide OW on one, and BT on the other.

@Aria, how high does the zeplin hang out over the train.  I think that might be a good place for one of us.  Put the zeplin 20-50m over one of the trains and have astral/matrix overwatch from there.

8-bit

« Reply #117 on: <09-12-14/1844:02> »
@CT

Well, let's see how much my asocial character has pissed off our employer. Might be interesting to see the sparks fly.

My character has currently loaded up his Ares Predator V w/ APDS Rounds, his Ares Light Fire 75 w/ Regular Ammo, his Enfield AS-7 w/ APDS Rounds, his Ares Desert Strike w/ APDS Rounds, and the Ares Antioch-2 Launcher w/ Flashbangs. The two pistols are on his body in holsters, while the shotgun and sniper rifle are sitting in his shoulder bag.

It seemed like this was a good time to end the meeting. Those who haven't posted, sorry about that, but half our group has already split up to cover their end of security/overwatch etc.

At the moment, I don't see anybody necessarily disagreeing too much with the plan I wrote out, so I assume that's our general basis.

LOL, because those were the characters the players wanted to play.  ;)

Well, yes, but Aria did mention she would tailor our encounters based off of what we chose. So, for story reasons, I think it makes sense.

Agreed, although I think this is going to be easier said than done. I doubt we're going to be given carte blanche here as you mention.

Hopefully we'll get some more detail soon from Oblique and Torrent regarding exactly what we're supposed to protect and what degree of control we're going to have. We may have none and are just going to be expected to deal with the situation as presented. Hey, it'll be fun!

I agree, it will be challenging and we probably have less time than we think. After all, it's a 10 hour ride and we're expected to protect it during the entire trip, so we have no idea when the first strike will come. Even if it's difficult, at least it'll be fun and interesting to try and work together as a team. I mean, if this was a real life task, I would say this is a pretty monstrously difficult job. Just makes it more enjoyable.

@CT
Once we know more of what we are expecting/expected to protect I think we can come up with a more concrete plan, but at this point I like the idea of getting those we are protecting in one secure location.  Even with 6 or 8 of us, covering the whole train and other vehicles is going to stretch us too thin.  With each train at 50m, figure 125m from head to tail with the assorted vehicles running as far as 25m around, so we've got about a 175m diameter we need to cover.  No matter what, if something is coming in fast we are going to have problems somewhere.  Assuming we have both living and non-living things to secure, I'd suggest having the people in one train and items in the other.  Morgan can provide OW on one, and BT on the other.

@Aria, how high does the zeplin hang out over the train.  I think that might be a good place for one of us.  Put the zeplin 20-50m over one of the trains and have astral/matrix overwatch from there.

I like that idea, keeping people in one area, items etc. in another. The question is how do we set up out perimeter? Do we sit in the center so we have equal response times for an attack on either side? Do we increase our perimeter until it's too unreliable? Do we split into two groups to each protect a train? If so, how do we split them? I would honestly put a hell of a lot more security around the people than the items, unless the circus is hiding something from us that they didn't want us to know about.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas for the whole security layout.

adamu

« Reply #118 on: <09-12-14/1909:10> »
So, reading through all the excellent planning posts, and just imagining and thinking….

…seems like, despite the many obstacles, you guys are coming up with some excellent outward looking security, which of course is essential….

….but I just can't help thinking we might also want to keep our eyes peeled and our minds open to the possibility of internal threats…

And I think the key question is, shadow circus or whatever they may be, what could possibly be the logistical reason to drag this huge organization across this particular 20 miles of misery?

But probably I am just overthinking as usual.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #119 on: <09-12-14/1926:33> »
Good point Adamu.

Negotiators: don't hesitate to walk away from this  if our contacts don't want to be forthcoming about information.