NEWS

Are shotguns "the odd one out?"

• 182 Replies

Burn it with Fire

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <01-12-13/1132:35> »
My GM implemented a change that helped my Sniper mage. Since he wasn't happy that SnS rounds did all the damage and did the don't taze my bro effect, he ruled that only SnS rounds fire from shotguns have enough power to deal the DTMB effect. That and an AA16 loaded with AP Flechette rounds means the entire room is going to be destroyed with only have the ammo.

Even though the AA16 is a watered down version of the real life AA12, it is an awesome gun for anyone with longarms.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-12-13/1255:58> »
Longarms are also very useful for grabbing things a normal person me be unable to reach.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <01-12-13/1331:31> »
Paracritters.

Most of them aren't armored, so shotguns work great against them.  Very handy when you're facing a few Cockatrices.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-12-13/1616:38> »
max of 9DV with a +5 AP, street gangs might fall easy prey but anyone with a 4 Ballistic takes nothing but stun. Though that's a lot of stun.
I'm not arguing about the range, I'm saying that it's one less reason to go for shotgun.
If you have the money and connections to get it, AP-fletchette rounds remove that +5AP, ofcource most of the time your better of doing stun damage anyway so it's not much of an issue(i seriously can't understand the obsession many people seem to have with doing physical damage)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-12-13/1636:03> »
Shotguns are very meh weapons. They're what you use when not sniping as a Longarms user, because they come in a package deal with the Barrett. With proper mods, the AA12's magical gas-vent system makes it only a bit worse than a battle rifle.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-12-13/1642:10> »
Hell for security purposes load some of the rounds with DMSO and a horse laxative, almost guaranteed physical link for sorcery purposes.

That's just nasty and just the way we like it.  +1 to you.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Kat9

« Reply #21 on: <01-12-13/2103:32> »
Maybe we will luck out in 5th edition and Armor Piercing Flichette rounds from War will replace the sucky normal ones.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <01-13-13/0035:52> »
Not likely, but I do think that automatic weapons should be a little more restricted in the range of ammunition they can fire, and shotguns should be open to more. I've already gone over aspects like real-world shotguns being the only weapons to deploy stick-and-shock rounds in the real world now. It hasn't come up yet, because my players have generally stuck with either: Automatics with burst-fire and regular ammo, Sniper rifles with APDS, or tasers, but making "SnS" shotgun-only or more easily available for shotguns is something I'm considering.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <01-13-13/0918:48> »
The tech present in SR is far beyond what we have now, so it isn't really fair to rule just based on what we have now. Miniaturization has taken off in the SR setting, so thinking that the Stick-n-Shock rounds we have now (12 guage roughly 18mm) can be shrunk down to fit on a light pistol round (.22 caliber is roughly 5.5mm) isn't at all out of line. Just consider how far nanotech has come just since 2050 in the setting.

Shotguns do have a few more options already than automatics, but I think those options should be expanded much further (rather than limiting automatics).

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-13-13/1142:52> »
Not likely, but I do think that automatic weapons should be a little more restricted in the range of ammunition they can fire, and shotguns should be open to more. I've already gone over aspects like real-world shotguns being the only weapons to deploy stick-and-shock rounds in the real world now. It hasn't come up yet, because my players have generally stuck with either: Automatics with burst-fire and regular ammo, Sniper rifles with APDS, or tasers, but making "SnS" shotgun-only or more easily available for shotguns is something I'm considering.
I would rather suggest making shotgun S&S rounds more powerful (for example 8S) as the bigger rounds can have bigger capacitors.
As i i believe its better to give incentives  for using something rather then ruling away something else.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <01-13-13/1143:59> »
The tech present in SR is far beyond what we have now, so it isn't really fair to rule just based on what we have now. Miniaturization has taken off in the SR setting, so thinking that the Stick-n-Shock rounds we have now (12 guage roughly 18mm) can be shrunk down to fit on a light pistol round (.22 caliber is roughly 5.5mm) isn't at all out of line. Just consider how far nanotech has come just since 2050 in the setting.

Shotguns do have a few more options already than automatics, but I think those options should be expanded much further (rather than limiting automatics).

All it is is people griping about SnS, but after nerfing or banning it, they'll start griping about "too much armor" since they've nerfed or banned one of the mitigators for high armor.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <01-13-13/1215:38> »
They already do, A4BG.  They already do...
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-13-13/1222:34> »
They already do, A4BG.  They already do...

Yeah, but generally the ones I see complaining about high armor are ones I've seen mention their dislike for that ammunition.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <01-13-13/1228:01> »
That's what I was saying.  There's an excellent foil for super-heavy armor that isn't magic dependent and I've seen a lot of ppl who want nothing to do with it.

Of course, one of my favorite foils for the heavy armor guy is capsule rounds loaded with nanites.  So...not exactly who you want running against you, I guess.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #29 on: <01-13-13/1314:42> »
Back in SR1, armored clothing was rare on the streets, blades were still more common than pistols.  That's changed a lot over the last 24-years, and the lowering cost of armor has made it more affordable to the average person on the street.

The real main advantage to shotguns, however, is they are INTIMIDATING!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11