NEWS

Scariest Gun Contest!

• 78 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-16-10/0721:10> »
I would say that that applies just as well to the Gauss Rifle, you can only raw so much power at a time and only charge up the magnetic field so quickly, before it becomes technically impossible to do that any faster.
It's all ready a SA gaus weapon, as opposed to its bigger brothers that are only SS.

Also i would say that the fact it's the only weapon requiring two types of ammo to shoot qualifies it for "unusual loading mechanic".

You're probably right. I just wish we had an official way to determine this.

Captain Chaos

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <09-16-10/1943:34> »
I would say that that applies just as well to the Gauss Rifle, you can only raw so much power at a time and only charge up the magnetic field so quickly, before it becomes technically impossible to do that any faster.
It's all ready a SA gaus weapon, as opposed to its bigger brothers that are only SS.

Also i would say that the fact it's the only weapon requiring two types of ammo to shoot qualifies it for "unusual loading mechanic".

You're probably right. I just wish we had an official way to determine this.

Does it have its own special ammo listed?
Then it's unusual.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #17 on: <09-17-10/0458:35> »
Ill number this so its easier to answer
Start with an Ares Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle
1:Add a major firing selection change and 2:make it high velocity
3:Equip a Gas Vent 3 accessory and a 4:gyromount.
You now have an assault cannon that deals a base damage of 9P with AP -half-4 that can go HV Full-auto for a base damage of 20. It's expensive as hell, though, and you'd never be able to actually get it, but it can kill anything
1:Gauss rifle qualifies as a weapons using unusual loading mechanisms or exotic ammunition(IMHO), so not allowed
2:See 1 for why this isn't allowed
3:can only be built into machine pistols, SMGs, assault rifles, and  machine guns
4:Allowed, but not exactly needed anymore
But Max you forgot the one reason, even over all those really good ones you gave, that the Guass rifle can't Be.
Arsenal pg. 26 the HVAR sidebar; "Only Submachine guns and assault rifles may be constructed as Hi velocity weapons."

EDIT : (Curses my slow typing) Yes you were, but Max's intent was to point out the RAW flaws. I just showed one he missed.
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/0517:08> by DarkLloyd »
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-17-10/0513:57> »
I thought we were talking about a firing selection change.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #19 on: <09-17-10/0514:37> »
Now as for My entry, start with a Cavalier Deputy. I nick named mine “The Reaper”.
1. Smartgun : Accesory (no slot)
2. Personal Grip : for the recoil (1 slot)
3. Increased Cylinder : gives +2 rnds (1 slot)
4. Firing Selection Change : Burst (4 slots)
5. Add either ExEx ammo (for more punch), or my Fav AV ammo (Now you can punch holes in people AND
    cars!) your choice and go to town!

Not the most BEAST of weapons but still Fun as hell to take in the reactions of those who see you use it for the first time.  ;D
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-17-10/0755:41> »
But Max you forgot the one reason, even over all those really good ones you gave, that the Guass rifle can't Be.
Arsenal pg. 26 the HVAR sidebar; "Only Submachine guns and assault rifles may be constructed as Hi velocity weapons."

EDIT : (Curses my slow typing) Yes you were, but Max's intent was to point out the RAW flaws. I just showed one he missed.
The reason i missed that is, becouse the actual modification to do that just says "full auto-capable weapons only" and then refers you to p.26 and i didn't bother to check p.26 as point 1 already stopped it from being full auto-capable.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-17-10/1003:17> »
Andinel, I've been looking over your entry and it is illegal. Sorry. Some of the modifications you are using have requirements that you must have missed.

"Only Submachine Guns and Assault Rifles can be constructed as high-velocity weapons."~Arsenal, Pg. 26

That's a mighty fine gun, Darkloyd. I'm more of a Warhawk man, myself, but the Deputies are pretty wiz too. I notice something wrong with your entry. I would have mssed it, but I know the Deputy pretty well. You dont get +2 rounds with the Increased Cylinder, chummer. You get 8 total. Since the Deputy comes with a 7 round cylinder you are only getting one extra round. In order to ever get a revolver to fire more than 8 shots you have to get it as an Underbarrel Weapon too.

For example, here is one of my babies.
Modification 6 Ruger Super Warhawk
→ Simple Firing Selection Change
→ Melee Hardening
→ Increased Cylinder
→ Underbarrel Weapon: Ruger Super Warhawk
→ Shock Pad

6P –2AP SA 1RC 11cy
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/1016:43> by Joker »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-17-10/1125:19> »
As a real quick aside, gauss weapons use magnetic acceleration to fire their projectiles and not chemical rounds.  That's the reason for the powerclip and the ammunition listed separately.  The ammunition is simply a solid slug accelerated down the barrel.  This makes the ammunition "exotic."  Simple physics also creates problems when trying to make this thing fire more rapidly (magnetic saturation).

As for the weapon, I had a pair of ideas that I posted on the Trigger Talk thread.  I'll repeat and bold them here for ease of perusal.

I had an idea while at work (I get bored, and need to think of something) regarding grenade launchers.  Take a few of the 6 shot pistol grenade launchers, and give them the crawling upgrade.  This makes them micro-drones (essentially) with a Pilot of 1.  Upgrade the Pilot program a little bit, stick in a Gunnery program, some Encryption, maybe some IC, a commlink, and a smartlink.  Put in grenades of whatever flavor you wish.

Now, when you assault some stronghold, keep those drone 'links on hidden, and set them around the perimeter of the location.  When you need a distraction or just a little extra firepower, call up your launchers and send target coordinates.  If you need to, use a laser designator.  BAM, instant mortar fire.

Another idea I had, a little more odd mind you, was to take the grenade launcher rifle, give it a drum magazine and convert it to full auto-fire.  Just the thing when you need to suppress an area.

And before anyone pipes up, automatic grenade launchers already exist IRL.  Grenades do not count as "exotic ammunition."
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/1127:16> by The_Gun_Nut »
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <09-17-10/1138:45> »
Thanks for clearing that up, chummer.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-17-10/1158:14> »
And before anyone pipes up, automatic grenade launchers already exist IRL.  Grenades do not count as "exotic ammunition."
Yes there are, but the game kinda breaks if you give a grenade launcher a higher fire rate then SA, as there are absolutely no rules to cover automatic grenade fire.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-17-10/1201:52> »
A drum makes the weapon no longer mobile, if I'm not mistaken. By this I mean that you can no longer carry it around, correct?
« Last Edit: <09-17-10/1209:35> by Joker »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <09-17-10/1314:29> »
True, the automatic grenade launchers IRL are not moble, they are "man portable" which means that people can carry it, then set it up and fire it.

And how is automatic grenade fire hard to adjucate?  Roll once for the burst, then deviate each grenade based upon that single roll.  Recoil modifiers apply, since you can't stick gas vent on the thing.  And since it is a heavy weapon, uncompensated recoil counts double.  The best you can hope for is a gyromount. a tripod, or a vehicle mount (which is where you find them most often, anyway).  You wanna spray those around, anyway, for overlapping explosive arcs.

One could always say the overlapping explosive radii on a target simply add +1 to the base DV of the attack (the same as a normal burst) or you could boost the base DV of a single grenade like a burst and increase the explosive radius that one (to simplify things).  So a short burst creates a single grenade attack with an increased DV of 2 for a narrow burst, or a reduced defense of -2 for a wide burst (you are catching them in the explosion).  That's if you want simplicity.  I'd resolve grenade damage separately, personally. 
There is no overkill.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-17-10/1342:17> »
And how is automatic grenade fire hard to adjucate?  Roll once for the burst, then deviate each grenade based upon that single roll.  Recoil modifiers apply, since you can't stick gas vent on the thing.  And since it is a heavy weapon, uncompensated recoil counts double.  The best you can hope for is a gyromount. a tripod, or a vehicle mount (which is where you find them most often, anyway).  You wanna spray those around, anyway, for overlapping explosive arcs.

One could always say the overlapping explosive radii on a target simply add +1 to the base DV of the attack (the same as a normal burst) or you could boost the base DV of a single grenade like a burst and increase the explosive radius that one (to simplify things).  So a short burst creates a single grenade attack with an increased DV of 2 for a narrow burst, or a reduced defense of -2 for a wide burst (you are catching them in the explosion).  That's if you want simplicity.  I'd resolve grenade damage separately, personally. 
Your long post about what you could do pretty much just made my point, the fact is there are no rules in the books on how to handle an automatic fire from a grenade launcher.

Normal burst rules dont make much sense and resolving all of those grenades seperatly kinda makes that OP.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <09-17-10/1403:50> »
I can appreciate that you have a difference of opinion, but lets not be rude please.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-17-10/1457:42> »
Just because there are no rules for something which actually exists doesn't mean it cannot exist in game.  Nor is it restricted by RAW, as the grenade launcher does not qualify for "exotic ammunition" based upon the entry for fire modes in the Arsenal book.  The burst firing grenade launcher is not OP.  The rules I suggested make it devastating, but it is devastating IRL.  There is nothing "fair" about combat.  Either you live or you die, and the difference between is finer and less forgiving than a monowire necktie.

I don't believe I was rude, merely incredulous.  But I am a bit tired, as I work the night shift and I still have stuff to do before I sleep, so I may be a bit short.
There is no overkill.