NEWS

Pointless LMG?

• 120 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <05-14-13/1320:53> »
At that point you might as well upgrade to the GE light autocannon and the multiple missile launcher from SR4A.
According to SR4a, you can't, since SR4a contradicts Arsenal and says your max of mounts is Body/3, rounded down. That means no drone can have more than 1 weapon mount. Since Vehicle Weapons are all heavy and require Reinforced Weapon Mounts, which use 2 mount-space, that'd mean a drone cannot get a Reinforced Weapon Mount.

Despite technically being newer, SR4A is still the core book. This means that such things are intended to be kept as "simple" as possible. If using the vehicle modification rules, it would make the most sense if one determined "max mounts" by whatever criteria those present instead.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <05-14-13/1415:40> »
There is in WAR!, or are we just not going to mention that book? Also there are some in This Old Drone as well.
Let's not mention Bogota!, but mention This Old Drone as often as possible.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #32 on: <05-14-13/1427:23> »
I`ve still got the mental image of a Str 10 troll using one of these monsters like normal people use an SMG, jumping in and out of cover and prompting KE to either call out the National Guard or hire a team of runner to deal with it. Gotta make him an adept too.
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #33 on: <05-14-13/1435:16> »
Lessee... 10 Strength is 2 RC, Tripod 6, Gas Vent 3 is 3, Personalized Grip is 1, Heavy Barrel is 1, Rigid Stock is 1...  2+6+3+1+1+1=14, fully compensated.

Without the tripod the best you can do is 9 RC so jumping in and out of cover won't work that easily.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #34 on: <05-14-13/1440:58> »
Adept Centering or that Concentration thingy from digital grimoire might help?  :-\
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-14-13/1447:17> »
Ditch the tripod, use a Gyromount. If you're using a LMG you aren't being subtle anyways.

You can also use foot anchors for another 2 points if you don't want Strength 10+.

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #36 on: <05-14-13/1450:29> »
Lessee... 10 Strength is 2 RC, Tripod 6, Gas Vent 3 is 3, Personalized Grip is 1, Heavy Barrel is 1, Rigid Stock is 1...  2+6+3+1+1+1=14, fully compensated.

Without the tripod the best you can do is 9 RC so jumping in and out of cover won't work that easily.

Damn is that one slot Overmodded?  :(
Gotta load it with Tracer for the image of a solid looking beam of light chopping things up.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <05-14-13/1454:42> »
Eh, Gas Vent and Rigid stock are external mods, so all you have is Heavy Barrel [3] and Personalized Grip [1].

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #38 on: <05-14-13/1717:58> »
At that point you might as well upgrade to the GE light autocannon and the multiple missile launcher from SR4A.
According to SR4a, you can't, since SR4a contradicts Arsenal and says your max of mounts is Body/3, rounded down. That means no drone can have more than 1 weapon mount. Since Vehicle Weapons are all heavy and require Reinforced Weapon Mounts, which use 2 mount-space, that'd mean a drone cannot get a Reinforced Weapon Mount.

The example given was using 2 steel lynxes, the GE Light autocannon does not need a reinforced weapon mount.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #39 on: <05-14-13/1721:45> »
I kinda doubt that, given this: "A normal weapon mount can hold a firearm of up to LMG size, while a reinforced weapon mount can hold firearms larger than LMG size." Main Guns are excessive, so wouldn't be able to fit into something that can only hold an LMG.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <05-14-13/1819:59> »
It says it can be mounted in a Flexible mount, but it still is a Main Gun and so it needs a Reinforced Flexible Mount, which takes two mount slots.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #41 on: <05-14-13/1831:51> »
Completely missed that one myself by the way, until HeroLab refused to let me mount a Vanquisher in a Heavy Turret until I Reinforced it. That's the second time, out of three times, that HeroLab told me "uhm, dude, pay attention" and I went "oh right! How did I miss that..."

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #42 on: <05-14-13/2012:00> »
Miniguns usually only have 6 barrels, the GE Six Pak had 6 barrels (obviously), the GAU-19A was 3 barrels, if I recall correctly. My memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to recall the minigun in second edition resembling the GAU 3 barrel triangular setup.

In any case, you're just porting the barrels at the right angles to bleed off excess gas to reduce felt recoil (also bullet velocity but that's not in the rules). Anyone doing that should be charging by the barrel, they could, but RAW the wouldn't have to.

The drop in muzzle velocity would be negligible. Certainly not enough to be reflected in a reduced DV.

That said, you better have some badass optics with flare compensation. The end of that thing would be a huge ball of fire. I'd never port an IRL weapon for combat use..until I get cyber eyes....will blind you in low-light.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #43 on: <05-14-13/2014:43> »
Yeah, but that's what those large shrouds are for. Considering it's a rifle grip gun, I'm sure they probably took some considerations for having a heat shroud for use with the gas vents.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #44 on: <05-14-13/2022:21> »
Yeah, but that's what those large shrouds are for. Considering it's a rifle grip gun, I'm sure they probably took some considerations for having a heat shroud for use with the gas vents.

I'm no physicist, but if you put a shroud over the port, I'm fairly sure you defeat the purpose.

The escaping gas forces the barrel down. If it pushes up on a shroud...equal, opposite reaction.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist