NEWS

Official Hacking/Cyberware/PAN Discussion

• 143 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #135 on: <05-14-13/0902:50> »
There's no need to slave Cyberlimbs though. They can simply use purely the mental connection.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #136 on: <05-14-13/1001:06> »
Yeah, this.  Unless there's some sort of required level of interaction making a commlink connection necessary, I'm not linking anything to anything.  Then I go to Joe's example of at least 2 commlinks.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #137 on: <05-14-13/1003:59> »
Same. My own concept has a cheap offline one for the PAN that employs skinlink for guns and glasses, a communication hidden one for subvocal microphone and earbuds, a high-rated offline one for running Linguasofts over the trodes and possibly a disposable fourth for en public.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #138 on: <05-14-13/1228:17> »
I know some folks that put their CommLink in a cyberlimb.  That might not be a good idea as it gives a wireless gateway to DNI.

I had a group of Hacker Gangers that did that with their systems.  The Technomancer had a Sprite rip through them like a thresher eating up winter wheat.  Decided not to do THAT again.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #139 on: <05-14-13/1546:09> »

I guess I'm paranoid, but if they somehow get into your cyberware - wireless, microdrone, nanites, Van Eck phreaking, whatever - they can actually shut you out of your own DNI.

Most of my character's 'ware and gear has a reason to be connected to your PAN...for many of the same reasons that most of these devices have wireless (which I immediately disable, with wirecutters if necessary).

If you slave it all to your offline PAN hub, they have to hack that, which (unless you're a n00b) should be much more hardened as a target than just your basic limb.

Random thought. If a Technomancer physically touches your cybernetic limb, can they hack it? I'm low on coffee and can't remember the interface requirements for a Techno (never played one, personally - I can't do Emo.  :P).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #140 on: <05-14-13/1557:46> »
Joe: If a Technomancer takes the Skinlink echo, they can hack into systems they're touching.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #141 on: <05-14-13/1623:48> »

That's pretty badass.

Damn it! Now I need to roll a Techno.

I'll need some advice on being Emo-MallGoth.

I don't get the tight pants thing.

:P

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #142 on: <05-14-13/1626:04> »
Leaving aside for a moment the difficulty in touching someone's cyberlimbs if they're not restrained, the Skinlink echo means you can hack into wired systems at any place where their nodes are within reach. Chances are you can even use it to hack scannergates, and all this without having to break open the wall and jacking into the cables.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #143 on: <05-14-13/1755:23> »
Maybe that is where the Deckers got the idea for the new not-Cyberdecks that were described in the 5th edition preview.  Some hot drek hacker saw their Street Sam chummer walking around with four or five 'links and thought, "I bet that would be faster in parallel..."