Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

Critique / Discuss my proposed house rules list.

(1/4) > >>

voydangel:
I have been working on this for a while, using other peoples house rules, suggestions etc. to compile a list of house rules that I think have a good feel to them.
Obviously I'm aware this set of rules won't be liked by everyone, but I was curious what my fellow GMs think about this setup from a more or less objective standpoint (rather than a "would you use it in your game standpoint).
Most specifically I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the "synergy" between #'s 1, 2 & 3. Too harsh? too limiting? too powerful?
Secondarily, I'm curious about any game breaking uses/exploits for #13 that anyone can think of.
If the wording for #13 is too unclear - what I'm going for there is making that version of geneware only available to 100% natural characters who start with, and maintain, their full 6 essence.

So here we go:

1. Adjust the following Adept Powers as noted:
• Reduce the power point cost of the following powers by half: analytics, animal empathy, blind
fighting, cloak, counterstrike, distance strike, elemental resistance, facial sculpt, freefall, gliding,
great leap, heightened concentration, improved sense, indomitable will, iron gut, iron lungs, iron
will, living focus, magic sense, melanin control, metabolic control, motion sense, multi tasking,
natural immunity, nimble fingers, piercing senses, power swimming, rapid healing, rooting, spell
resistance, supernatural toughness, temperature tolerance, traceless walk and wall running.
• Attribute Boost: new cost = 0.5 (no more ranks/rating). Boost & drain equal to (Magic) hits.
• Berserk: also reduces dice pool modifiers from all damage by half (round up) for duration.
• Improved Physical Attribute: new cost = 0.5 per level.
• Improved Reflexes: cost = 1.5 per level.

2. When initiating, adepts may choose to gain a power point instead of a new meta-magic technique. The
cost for doing so is (new initiate grade*3) karma in addition to the normal cost for initiating.

3. Maximum number of times a character can initiate (or submerse) is equal to their essence. If a characters
essence drops below their initiate grade/submersion level, then they lose that initiate grade/submersion
level and all of the benefits that accompanied it, including increased Magic/Resonance attribute
maximums, power points, meta-magic techniques, echoes, etc.

4. Starting characters receive (Charisma + Etiquette)*4 extra BP to buy contacts with.

5. Starting contacts maximum Connection is = the characters Etiquette, and max Loyalty = Charisma.

6. Assensing and Astral Combat are default-able for magicians (and adepts capable of astral perception).

7. Characters are allowed a total of ±35BP from qualities at character creation. (So you can have 50 BP of
positive qualities, as long as you also have at least 15 BP of negative qualities [50-15=35]).

8. Change availability of all hacker programs to Rating*3, making maximum starting rating 4.

9. Change DV of Stick 'n' Shock ammo from 6S(e) to xS(e), where ‘x’ is equal to the weapon's normal
base damage.

10. Electrical damage: The net hits gained from the roll to resist instant incapacitation are used to cancel out
the -2 modifier that is imposed from electrical damage. (So 5 hits on your B+W(3) test = no penalties).

11. Change movement rates to 4m walking/12m running (human, elf, ork), 3m walking/10m running
(dwarf) and 5m walking/15m running (troll). Critter walking speeds are reduced to 40% of their current
level and running speeds to half their current level. Vehicle Speed and Acceleration ratings are
unaffected.

12. When using the Karma creation system from the runners companion, increasing attributes costs [New
Rating*5]; you must pay the BP cost for your meta-type in Karma; the bonus Karma you get for contacts
is [(Charisma + Etiquette)*4]; the amount of Karma available to be spent on starting attributes is
[(starting karma/2) + (meta-type cost*2)] and includes mental, physical and special attributes.

13. New grade of geneware available: “Chimera Strain”. Cost = *2, Availability = +2, Essence cost = zero.
This grade is only available to characters with the full 6 essence, and is not available to starting
characters unless they start play with the full 6 essence. If a character with chimera strain geneware ever
has his essence reduced below 6 from cyber, bio or nano-ware, or non-chimera strain geneware, he
instantly loses an amount of essence equal to the normal essence costs for all the chimera strain
geneware he currently ‘possesses’.

14. The availability test to acquire any item in-game is automatically successful if the item is not forbidden
or restricted, and the availability is less than or equal to the characters ([Negotiation*2] + Charisma).

Here's a PDF of the house rules doc if anyone wants to d/l it.

Thoughts?

Nomad Zophiel:

--- Quote from: voydangel on ---
4. Starting characters receive (Charisma + Etiquette)*4 extra BP to buy contacts with.

5. Starting contacts maximum Connection is = the characters Etiquette, and max Loyalty = Charisma.

7. Characters are allowed a total of ±35BP from qualities at character creation. (So you can have 50 BP of
positive qualities, as long as you also have at least 15 BP of negative qualities [50-15=35]).

--- End quote ---

4. I like this because everyone needs Contacts and I usuallt spend too many points there.

5. This means that characters MUST have high etiquette to work with well placed Fixers. I dislike that idea.

7. I'm interested to see how that plays out. I suspect you'll see some evil, evil stacks of Positive Qualities (I can think of a 70ish point list) balanced down to +35

FastJack:
Hmmm... #4 and #7 sound familiar... ;)

Most sound good, some I wouldn't use for personal preferences. I dislike #14 since it basically removes Availability as a concept from the game (See here for more on that discussion).

@Nomad: It sounds like #5 is only for Contacts at character creation. They can increase those ratings through gameplay.

Critias:
I don't see anything in that list that would keep me from wanting to play in a game you were running.  There are a few I agree with strongly (I'm a big fan of free contacts, I'm a big fan of Qualities, I'm a big fan of the "utility" Adept powers).  There are some I'm neutral on (geneware's never really been my thing, I'm not up on programs as much as I could be, movements rates never bothered me)...and there are none that I vehemently disagree with, or immediately dislike, or anything.

FastJack:
I'd like to add that I don't vehemently dislike the House Rule on Availability, just that if it was up to discussion, I'd cross it off. If not, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version