NEWS

6th World Box Set Play Experience

• 114 Replies

TheWizurd

• Newb
« on: <06-23-19/1059:21> »
Preference: I have been playing since '89. I have pretty strong opinions on this game. I am what some would call a Grognard. I don't call myself one due to the connotations.

Preference 2: I only have the Sixth World Beginner Box Set, not full rule book.

I run a game on Saturday nights for my teenage son and his friends. This has been D&D up till this point. They have never played another RPG. Not that I haven't tried several games. They just haven't found a game that makes them want to change from D&D.

After last night that has changed, they don't want to play anything but Shadowrun now. The atmosphere and pace of the game suits them. They consider themselves edgy.

I am in no way associated with Catalyst, but I believe that this is the purpose of many of the changes in 6e. Shadowrun is quicker and more exciting to play. 6e has followed the current trend in RPGs and modernized, yet kept the same bones. This is a good thing. The game has changed yet not thrown the baby out with the bath water. Shadowrun needed to change in order to survive. It was time. I do like the current trend of getting away from simulation. RPGs have never been realistic, that would be fairly boring. They are rules system for a group storytelling. Anything that encourages action and faster pace is excellent, as long as it doesn't take away from the group escape and storytelling. The group loved the new Edge system. These changes are meant to appeal to the video game generation as I call them. I enjoyed most of them myself.

Last night we just did an all out brawl, so they could get the rules system down. The team was in Stuffer Shack, armored plates dropped over the windows, and a voice over the intercom announced that the survivor would become rich beyond their dreams. I don't want to give blow by blow account, just highlights.

The group picked up the new Edge system quickly and loved it. There were times I forgot to give edge and the players reminded me. I wish there were more circumstances to give edge. The group loved that dynamic. It felt like the Edge system was put on top of the existing 5e rules system. That is a good thing, see baby with bath water above.

The group had some issue the whole AR versus DR mechanic. There was some debate of why Rude would even use a sword if his pistol was better, until Yu tried to steal it, it was better than his pistol. I am trying hard to like this mechanic. It simplifies combat and plays to edge. It's hard to get away from my simulation roots at times I guess. The teenagers love it so far, with the exception of sword.

The clear winner was Zipfile, he stayed out of combat, hacked the system. He let himself out, shut the lights off and called Ares. In combat the Mage won but that was due to the politics of the group.

Just a quick post, comments and questions welcome.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <06-23-19/1121:40> »
Having strong opinions and loving a game does not make you a Grognard. Belittling new players, not wanting updates to the game that attracts new players, and claiming something sucks because it's different than what you're used to is what makes one a Grognard.

It sounds like everyone had fun with the game, which is the ultimate goal. The next generation of players video game dependent, they are about the story. They want easy rules that allow them to go beyond what's written instead of telling them they can't because "the rules". Every successful game I've been a part (running and playing) has been because the GM follows the first rule that's printed in every game's core rulebook: Have Fun. By making the rules more generic vs. specific, it allows the player and GM space to fill in the gaps and tell a story. The worst games (both running and playing) have been because we were too busy looking up stuff to figure out if we could do something and dragging the story down.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-23-19/1246:37> »
While I think people want games that are more simple and generic they also want it to make sense. Difficult things should be difficult, easy things easy, rules should fir into the setting helping reinforce it etc.

Also simple and generic doesn’t mean no crunch. Though bloated levels of crunch is rarely wanted by most people.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-23-19/1307:01> »
Good to hear people love the Edge flow. I definitely need to check into the rule of cool regarding that. I was worried it would be cumbersome but it sounds like they can handle it.
« Last Edit: <06-23-19/1446:31> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-23-19/1432:59> »
Good to hear people love the Edge flow. I definitely need to check into the rule of cool regarding that. I was worried it would be cumbersome but it sounds like they cab handle it.

There aren't a whole lot of reasons to reward it in this box set at least. The AR and an advantage such as seeing in the dark. I did give edge to an opposing character when his opponent glitched. There was not a lot of spent on rewarding Edge.

The players spent it like it was going out of style, to gain advantage over their opponent. Several times players gave each other edge. They were always trying to figure out ways to get edge and convince me to give it to them for various reasons.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #5 on: <06-23-19/2152:49> »
Do you have plans to run the starter box mission(s)?

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <06-23-19/2206:14> »
That’s pretty much what I predicted would happen, it would devolve into a game of edge begging.

Good to hear people love the Edge flow. I definitely need to check into the rule of cool regarding that. I was worried it would be cumbersome but it sounds like they cab handle it.

There aren't a whole lot of reasons to reward it in this box set at least. The AR and an advantage such as seeing in the dark. I did give edge to an opposing character when his opponent glitched. There was not a lot of spent on rewarding Edge.

The players spent it like it was going out of style, to gain advantage over their opponent. Several times players gave each other edge. They were always trying to figure out ways to get edge and convince me to give it to them for various reasons.

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <06-23-19/2252:54> »
That’s pretty much what I predicted would happen, it would devolve into a game of edge begging.

I wouldn't call it edge "begging" by any means. The most you can get per round is two anyhow. I was generally rewarding 1 per round and that is with little experience doing it.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-24-19/0114:52> »

I wouldn't call it edge "begging" by any means. The most you can get per round is two anyhow. I was generally rewarding 1 per round and that is with little experience doing it.

I hope edge focus dies quick for my players. You should make your choices because they are the right choices to make in character based on what is happening not in order to farm some edge. I’m
sure it has some novelty and will initially be something people use a lot but once the novelty wears off people will see through it and just see the gimmick it is. Whether they still farm it because that’s the game is hard to say without the books.

Zed Kylan

• Newb
  • Doors and Corners
« Reply #9 on: <06-24-19/0522:25> »
I don't see how this so-called "edge begging" is any different than trying to find that extra bonus to make your roll successful. Only that it decreases the amount of fiddling points here and turns it into a condensed Edge or No Edge sort of situation.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <06-24-19/0536:23> »
I don't see how this so-called "edge begging" is any different than trying to find that extra bonus to make your roll successful. Only that it decreases the amount of fiddling points here and turns it into a condensed Edge or No Edge sort of situation.
I always held back with giving Edge for dramatic stuff, because it was such a rare resource. Now it's less rare so I'll dare do that more. Will hopefully result in a great cinematic playstyle. 8)
« Last Edit: <06-24-19/0538:16> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-24-19/1829:04> »
One of the more encouraging player reviews I've read.  Still not going to buy the QSR but I might just stick around for the core book after all.  Maybe. 

adzling

« Reply #12 on: <06-24-19/1833:48> »

I hope edge focus dies quick for my players. You should make your choices because they are the right choices to make in character based on what is happening not in order to farm some edge. I’m
sure it has some novelty and will initially be something people use a lot but once the novelty wears off people will see through it and just see the gimmick it is. Whether they still farm it because that’s the game is hard to say without the books.

This 100%

By abstracting the mechanics so completely into "edge" they have removed all relation to reality / good tactical decisions / sensible in-world choices.
It's now all about figuring out how to game the edge mechanic, rather than just doing sensible things.
« Last Edit: <06-24-19/1845:22> by adzling »

adzling

« Reply #13 on: <06-24-19/1834:45> »

your own words bely your response:
"They were always trying to figure out ways to get edge and convince me to give it to them for various reasons."

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <06-24-19/1838:36> »

The difference is the abstraction.

Rather than focussing on how things would happen IRL to gain advantage you focus on the highly abstracted challenge of "how do i gain edge".

That's not a good thing imho.

RPGs (for me at least) are about getting into character and responding in character to the world in a realistic way.

The new, highly abstracted edge mechanic means it's all about how to game the system to cough up edge.
That works great for boardgames and the like where the abstraction is built in, but not for RPGs where reality trumps cool.
With the new edge mechanic srun is now entirely within the Pink Mohawk school of play, which is fine for many folks but flies completely in the face of my table's interests and indeed the history of srun.