NEWS

[SR6] Underbarrel grenade launcher

• 7 Replies

T O K Y O

• Newb
« on: <10-16-20/1451:47> »
Hello Chumms,
What skill underbarrel grenade launcher uses in 6e? Exotic weapon?

I mean, everyone is saying (in 5e) that every accessory/weapon mount is using it's own skill rather than the weapon skill BUT couldn't find any mention of it in 6e. Can anyone post it to me? What rule should I use?

SOME FINDINGS:
1. Firing Squad gives us a small hint with it's table on page 65 - only chainsaw has explicitly worded that it's an exotic skill. So, should I assume that other mounts use parent's weapon skill?

2. In the core on page 207 there is a DocWagon HTR Officer with underbarrel grenade launcher, but he's missing exotic weapon skill. He has only a Firearms skill.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
« Last Edit: <10-16-20/1501:20> by T O K Y O »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-16-20/1455:08> »
Exotic Weapon: Launchers is mentioned in the rules somewhere.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-16-20/1507:36> »
I'm sympathetic to an argument saying "they're all one weapon, so Firearms covers the underbarrel too"... but personally I would lean towards calling it a grenade launcher, and accordingly requiring the use of Exotics.

In the case of an NPC who has an UBGL but lacks Exotics skill... there's at least two reasons I can think why that's the case.

1) meta:  it just got overlooked by writer/editing

2) in-universe: not everyone really needs to be highly skilled at everything they have access to.  Remember the idiom "Close only counts in horsehoes and hand-grenades".  This is literally applicible here.  Perhaps the NPC only needs to deter approach/pursuit, and lobbing a grenade in the vague direction accomplishes this.  Also, perhaps the NPC only intends to use boom booms that inflict little to no collateral damage, and therefore doesn't need to be highly trained to avoid insurance liabilities.
« Last Edit: <10-16-20/1509:39> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-20-20/1402:09> »
Related question: If I arm my drone with a Yamaha Raiden, what type/how many Targeting Autosofts does it require in order to function fully?  This is an assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher and shotgun.
« Last Edit: <10-20-20/1403:42> by MercilessMing »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-20-20/1604:01> »
Yamaha Raiden Targeting Autosoft
M26 Modular Accessory Shotgun System Targeting Autosoft
M203 grenade launcher Targeting Autosoft

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-20-20/1906:19> »
Related question: If I arm my drone with a Yamaha Raiden, what type/how many Targeting Autosofts does it require in order to function fully?  This is an assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher and shotgun.

An interesting scenario to parse.  IMO the first thing to rule on is whether there's one underbarrel weapon that fires either shotgun shells or grenades, or two underbarrel weapons.  I prefer to envision that it's one weapon that can employ either ammo type. 

Now in the case of which skills "should" cover all this... I think it's obvious that Firearms (Rifles) governs the "main gun".  As for the underbarrel weapon, I'd say it depends on which ammo is loaded.  Shotgun shells? Ok, you use Firearms (Shotguns).  Grenades?  Now it's Exotic (Grenade Launchers).

That's how I see the Skills answer.  Skills are not 1:1 comparable to Autosofts, however. 1) Skills are very broad, while Autosofts are only applicable to a single weapon.  2) The opportunity cost in accumulating skills is not comparable.  Mechanically, nothing stops you from employing every skill in the book, provided you had enough Skill points/Karma to get there.  OTOH even if you have infinite nuyen, you have a hard cap on how many Autosofts a vehicle/drone can have running simultaneously.  So just because it follows that the Raiden should use multiple skills to use all its capabilities, in the case of Autosofts I'm very sympathetic to the view that "one weapon uses one Autosoft".  Afterall, a Targeting Autosoft is useless on everything outside that one weapon, it really would suck hard if it didn't even allow full use of that one weapon.

Now in the case of underbarrel weapons that are NOT factory standard/integral: I'm fine with requiring multiple Autosofts.  It's a munchkin tax.  If you want to use that (perfectly legal) loophole to put 2 weapons in one weapon mount, it's only fair you "pay" for that via having to use multiple Targeting Autosofts in THIS case.  Yes, it's a fully meta rationale... if you don't accept meta rationales then this is the in-universe one:  The software for Targeting Autosofts don't account for crazy aftermarket stuff you do to the gun.  You pack a gun on your gun, that's 2 guns as far as software is concerned.  Guns like the Raiden that were engineered that way are different- the software was already written to include it.

Edit: Lol, Banshee showed how I shoulda TL;DR'd my opinions here:

Skills: Multiple.
Autosofts: One.
Autosofts on aftermarket UBGLs rather than an integral one like in the case of a Raiden: Multiple.
« Last Edit: <10-20-20/1943:56> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-20-20/1936:53> »

My personal choice... one ... Targeting Yamaha Raiden
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <10-21-20/0348:26> »
I second and third '1 Targeting Autosoft for all default weapons, additional Autosoft required for after-market additions'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!