NEWS

Barrier spell cast in an elevator

• 16 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-04-20/1207:48> »
Exactly.  You can move it, but when you're not moving it it's stationary.

Cast it inside a moving vehicle.. and BAM its gone. It blew out the back of the vehicle and probably the passengers.  3 seconds later you move it again, assuming it survived the impact with the back of the moving vehicle.
« Last Edit: <06-04-20/1213:52> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-04-20/1504:15> »
Eh, I had a player cast a F6 Physical Barrier in front of a chasing car once, neither side survived. At some point, precise physics are boring and you just make a rough decision.

True.

but a having a grounding in reality is useful. Especially for games like SR where reality is intermixed with fantasy.

To some degree, they do have a barrier chart so you can figure out its relative strength compared to real world objects. 5 is plastlboard which if like plasterboard is super weak, next level up a solid wood door, a chain link fence is 8.  Which is sort of weird as I can definitively say you can drive right through a chain link fence but I wouldn't want to drive through a solid wood wall.  Though that's more because what holds a chain link fence to a support pole can be weak not the chain link part.

As an aside to the overall discussion spells sort of do need a cast in relation to what you are on effect. If you cast shadow, chaotic world in a plane it being gone instantly is kind of lame.  It doesn't thematically fit the world that well and the rules are not intuitive like that.  Casting a barrier around you and walking should be a normal thing. All or almost all area sustained spells should have a target a spot or a thing/person option