NEWS

[SR5] Magician and starting spells

• 58 Replies

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« on: <01-19-15/1227:18> »
So for Priority A it says you get 10 spells. Are those the number you do not need to spend karma to get? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Priority spells are free and you just choose them
Karma spent spells you just buy when you upgrade yourself out of game when you choose other abilities
Purchased spells need to pass a check then you spend karma

I am new and creating my first character which is a magician. I want to know if I'm doing it right before I go further.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-19-15/1250:35> »
Yes those 10 are free. You can buy more at 5 karma each. Though there is a cap of how many spells, rituals, preparations based on skill at chargen.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <01-19-15/1331:19> »
Priority spells are free. You can select them with no problem. You can spend Karma at the rate of 5 Karma per spell to obtain more spells. You can have a total of Magic x 2 spells, rituals, and preparations at character creation.

After character creation, you can purchase spell formula and learn the new spells for 5 Karma each.

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-19-15/1348:46> »
Priority spells are free. You can select them with no problem. You can spend Karma at the rate of 5 Karma per spell to obtain more spells. You can have a total of Magic x 2 spells, rituals, and preparations at character creation.

After character creation, you can purchase spell formula and learn the new spells for 5 Karma each.
Is that total or in each category? Is there a limit after character creation?

Is the difference between buying and spending karma or spells just the check and the nuyen?

« Last Edit: <01-19-15/1350:50> by pixiesunbelle »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-19-15/1358:11> »
You can have a total of Magic x 2 spells, rituals, and preparations at character creation.
Just to clarify, note that this is per group, not total across all three. SR5 page 69:
"At character creation, magicians who cast spells, perform rituals, or create alchemical preparations may know a maximum number of formulae from each group equal to their Magic Rating x 2 (i.e., Magic Rating of 4 allows 8 spells, 8 rituals, 8 alchemical preparations)."

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-19-15/1400:38> »
So after character generation you have to buy the spells with nuyen + karma + dice roll or can you also just purchase with karma when you purchase more skills and qualities?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-19-15/1409:16> »
After character creation you follow the rules as per page 299. There is no limit to the number of spells, rituals, and preparations you may know after character creation as far as I know.

Summary: to learn a new spell after creation you essentially need a magical lodge suited to your tradition and the necessary spell formula. Once you have these two items you make a Simple Spellcasting/Ritual Spellcasting/Alchemy + Intuition [Magical Lodge Force] Test. The time it takes to learn the spell is 12 days divided by the number of hits you get on the test. At the end of the time period, you pay 5 karma to learn the spell/ritual/preparation.

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <01-19-15/1424:16> »
So after character creation you cannot just spend karma on spells like you can on qualities?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-19-15/1435:44> »
So after character creation you cannot just spend karma on spells like you can on qualities?
You have to buy the spell formula first, generally.
Playability > verisimilitude.

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-19-15/1440:54> »
Okay. Just trying to figure out how this is supposed to go. I feel like everything I read is all over the place. One way is mentioned in one place, another in another and in another in completely different page. It generally makes things completely confusing, lol. I'm relatively new to dice pool.

8-bit

« Reply #10 on: <01-19-15/1659:12> »
You can have a total of Magic x 2 spells, rituals, and preparations at character creation.
Just to clarify, note that this is per group, not total across all three. SR5 page 69:
"At character creation, magicians who cast spells, perform rituals, or create alchemical preparations may know a maximum number of formulae from each group equal to their Magic Rating x 2 (i.e., Magic Rating of 4 allows 8 spells, 8 rituals, 8 alchemical preparations)."

Thanks for catching that. Sometimes I forget things when typing from memory.

@pixiesunbelle

Everyone else explained it pretty well. At character creation, there is a limit. Afterwards, there is no limit. To learn new spells after character creation, you must buy the spell formula (nuyen), then you must learn it at a Magical Lodge that is part of your tradition (5 Karma).

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #11 on: <01-19-15/1801:50> »
One more point of clarification.  When the book says "group" in that sense, it's referring to spells, rituals, and preparations as separate groups.  What I mean is that all spells fall under the "spell" group, regardless of what category the spell belongs to.  So a person with 6 magic (12 spells per group) could buy 12 different spells, 12 different rituals, and 12 different preparations.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-19-15/1842:23> »
Can you initiate at character creation?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-19-15/1848:54> »
Can you initiate at character creation?
By RAW, no.

But ask your GM. He may let you, especially if it's going to be a short campaign or something like a PbP where advancement can be super slow.
« Last Edit: <01-19-15/1850:28> by Whiskeyjack »
Playability > verisimilitude.

pixiesunbelle

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-19-15/1927:31> »
Does it say it anywhere in the book?