NEWS

Harebrained Schemes Hong Kong Sourcebook

• 33 Replies

SamTwist

• Newb
« on: <01-19-15/1311:21> »
Hi!

This may be a little early to ask this question.
With the Kickstarter in place for Shadowrun Hong Kong, Harebrained Schemes will be releasing a sourcebook for Hong Kong.
They mention that although it is set in the 2050s, they are planning for multiple edition compatibility.

The obvious question is, will it be compatible with 5th?

I understand this is handled by a different company and it most likely will be a Kickstarter backers exclusive content but I was wondering if Catalyst Game Labs was involved for this portion and if there are any plans to make it 5th edition compatible.
I feel it won't since there are licensing and publishing rights to take into account but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: <01-19-15/1313:20> by SamTwist »

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <01-19-15/1428:57> »
I figure the reason it'll be multi-edition compatible is because it'll be light on the crunch, heavy on the fluff. 

I'm not sure why a 2050s Hong Kong is all that...  Important right now, though.  I mean, Runner Havens did a large piece on Hong Kong for the '70s, and going back in time is a little less relevant.  Maybe they're planning a 5th Edition version of Shadowrun 2050 so folks can use this system for a blast in the past? 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-19-15/1532:17> »
Actually, Catalyst has an agreement with HBS where we'll be responsible for putting the Hong Kong sourcebook together. It will be mostly flavor text; the editions that will be supported has not been finally decided upon, but 5th will definitely be one of them!

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

SamTwist

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-19-15/1715:57> »
Thanks for clarifying Jason!
I guess I'll change my pledge to 75$ to support you guys too!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-19-15/1730:54> »
:(

Fucking law school. This would've been my first published work in nearly three years.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-16/0629:26> »
I've just noticed that the Hong Kong sourcebook is available to backers. Looking good so far, although there are still a couple of Jason's comments left in the PDF ^^

I'm wondering if there are plans to make it available to the rest if the SR players later on ?

(It's 80 pages-long, by the way).
« Last Edit: <02-06-16/0650:13> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-06-16/1048:11> »
Mel Odom's e-novel was also released...some nice reading this weekend ;D

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-06-16/1943:32> »
Maybe they're planning a 5th Edition version of Shadowrun 2050 so folks can use this system for a blast in the past?

I really, really hope so! I so want to run a lot of the original 3rd edition adventures, only updated to the new rules.

Actually, Catalyst has an agreement with HBS where we'll be responsible for putting the Hong Kong sourcebook together. It will be mostly flavor text; the editions that will be supported has not been finally decided upon, but 5th will definitely be one of them!Jason H.

Any chance of this becoming available for those of us who didn't have a chance to back the Kickstarter?
« Last Edit: <02-06-16/1945:24> by Dinendae »

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #8 on: <02-07-16/0447:10> »
I really, really hope so! I so want to run a lot of the original 3rd edition adventures, only updated to the new rules.

The Hong Kong sourcebook does contain some advice to run games set in 2050~ with the 5th Edition rules.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-07-16/0844:52> »
Any chance of this becoming available for those of us who didn't have a chance to back the Kickstarter?

Not sure...am asking the question. An aside, it might be included with the game...ie one of the purchase options on Steam of GoG.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-07-16/1048:28> »

Not sure...am asking the question. An aside, it might be included with the game...ie one of the purchase options on Steam of GoG.

I didn't see it listed with any of the Steam purchase options, including the triple pack, but I may have missed it.  :-\

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-07-16/1407:41> »
Confirmed that this is up to HBS...they need to make the call/decision to make available for non-backers.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-07-16/2125:36> »
Confirmed that this is up to HBS...they need to make the call/decision to make available for non-backers.

Let them know I'd be more than happy to have it as a purchasable item, rather than just expecting it because I have the SRR games! Everybody likes more money, right?  ;D

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-08-16/0114:12> »
I really only saw 1st edition stuff from the looks of it, that and it's incomplete with editing notes... honestly looks more like someone hit the wrong button and sent it out by accedent than anything else.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

adzling

« Reply #14 on: <02-08-16/1020:12> »
Yeah I run a Hong Kong campaign and the only usefulness I see in this book is if you were running a throw back campaign.
Otherwise not much point, and yeah it's not finished either someone released it from editing before they finished....