NEWS

Misread Marks

• 4 Replies

忍

« on: <05-27-17/1942:57> »
"Temporarily tricks a targets IC into thinking your marks are its intended targets."

Uh... What? What exactly is this CF supposed to do? Can IC "Attack" (247pg Core) marks? If so... what happens? Stretching the thought even more, why do I want IC targeting my marks? I worked so hard to get them.

Have any of yall used this? How do you interpret the functionality of this CF?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-27-17/2056:36> »
Not your MARKs. The marks your MARKs mark make enemy IC mark them as targets.

Anything you apply a MARK to looks like a target, not your MARKs themselves.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-27-17/2135:57> »
Sort of like when a cat starts attacking its own tail because it thinks it is an independent creature.

You're fooling the IC into going after things with your MARKs instead of you.

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <05-27-17/2349:58> »
A nasty little thing that will manipulate how IC perceives the Matrix, and who exactly is friend or foe. Temporarily tricks a targeted IC into thinking your marks are its intended targets, similar to the way someone might mistakenly attack a magic-user’s illusion. This lasts for for a number of actions (including Simple or Complex, but not Free) equal to the hits scored on a Simple Software + Resonance [Level] Test. If you have multiple marks in the same host, the mark that is attacked is selected randomly.

There isn't any verbiage describing IC targets MARKs (that I can find). Also both MARKs and Personas are entities that can be individually targeted and discriminated. I read: [That IC] [targets] {with it's attack option} [your MARK], which doesn't make sense. Each IC does one "thing" as its "attack". None the IC (that I'm aware of) interact with MARKs, just Personas by inference.

Also aren't MARKs on a Host inherited down? If you place a MARKs on a Host wouldn't you have a MARKs on everything "slaved"* to it?

*[insert age old discussion on Hosts here]

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-28-17/0111:52> »
There isn't any verbiage describing IC targets MARKs (that I can find). Also both MARKs and Personas are entities that can be individually targeted and discriminated. I read: [That IC] [targets] {with it's attack option} [your MARK], which doesn't make sense. Each IC does one "thing" as its "attack". None the IC (that I'm aware of) interact with MARKs, just Personas by inference.

As I see it, that's kind of the point, actually. The IC attacks the MARKs thinking that they are you, and it has no effect, their attack can't do anything (except maybe erase the MARK), because that's not what the IC does.

Also aren't MARKs on a Host inherited down? If you place a MARKs on a Host wouldn't you have a MARKs on everything "slaved"* to it?

*[insert age old discussion on Hosts here]

Only up, page 233 where it talks about PANs and WANs. Just because you have a MARK on the Host doesn't mean you have a MARK on every single file on the Host. That's why you still need to find, MARK, and crack files when you're looking for Paydata.

And as I mentioned before, you could also rule this effect as being that anything that you have MARKed would be the thing targeted, so you MARK the Security Spider, and suddenly the IC turns on its own. But I'm not sure if that is the actual intent, or if it's just the "distract IC for X turns while it Attacks something un-attackable."