NEWS

Elite Forces of the Sixth World

• 40 Replies

farfromnice

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <01-29-16/2040:16> »
Gendarmerie is a Canadian Thing, The Gendarmerie Royal du Canada (you probably know them on the Mounties term)

the Québec "equivalent" will be The Sureté du Québec, it will translate : Surety or Sureness of Québec, I think

So thechnically Gendarmerie Special Team will be a UCAS thing

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-29-16/2156:24> »
Cool. Thanks.

The Gendarmerie is the current name since Lone Star, but I could see it becoming Sureté in the future. Or some other group taking up the name.

farfromnice

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <01-30-16/1438:50> »
it was just a basic misunderstanding of the first editor. Normally it will have been Sureté all along

But you know Canada and Québec seems pretty the same thing when you see it from the exterior

They probably know since the third edition of Shadowrun and never botter to change it

farfromnice

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <02-09-16/1457:05> »
Those ayone of you have a little bit of Information on the Anarchist Black Star ?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-09-16/1648:41> »
It's in Loose Alliances, War!, and Storm Front. Though it took a massive hit at the end of the Az-Am War by getting involved against the Azzies.
« Last Edit: <02-09-16/1910:13> by Crimsondude »

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #20 on: <02-09-16/2158:17> »
During the Am-Azt War, Black Star was pretty much destroyed in the Battle of Bogota. The only known survivor (at this time) is Aufheben. After being thought dead, he reappeared as the de-facto leader of a resistance movement in Bogota known as Bright Star (see the Southern Insurrection section of Bloody Business for more info), who are fighting against Aztlan rule in the former free city. Aztlan has tried to go after him and his lieutenants, but with mixed results.

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #21 on: <02-14-16/1437:05> »
I made a list so you all can stop speculating on what special forces, ops, etc. units exist. I listed them alphabetically by parent organization/sponsor.

http://shadowrun.tumblr.com/elite

Metroplex Guard Special Forces............. that almost sounds like it contradicts itself.

Tangent, but for whoever runs that website the Sports teams could use updating.
In Runfaster, Infected Section, there is a line about how the Phoenix Coyotes Hockey team is now in Seattle.

Also it has the Thunderbirds listed as both Combat Cyclist & Basketball teams.   I'm thinking that is supposed to be the Suns.
« Last Edit: <02-14-16/1444:33> by Tarislar »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-14-16/2238:51> »
Oops. Thanks.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #23 on: <02-24-16/1444:20> »
It didn't indicate a permanent and discrete unit within the Rangers, though, and I'm not inclined to describe an entire national paramilitary police/security force as an elite unit.

However, that may change. I can't say.

Is this the reason why the Texas Rangers didn't make the list?  Or, are they non-canon?  You'll have to forgive my ignorance on that point.

Great list, for sure.  Thanks for taking the time.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-24-16/2022:42> »
It didn't indicate a permanent and discrete unit within the Rangers, though, and I'm not inclined to describe an entire national paramilitary police/security force as an elite unit.

Is this the reason why the Texas Rangers didn't make the list?  Or, are they non-canon?  You'll have to forgive my ignorance on that point.

Yes. The short answer is that the Rangers incorporated the Texas SDF and became a full-blown paramilitary unit. That being said, there are full-blown Rangers who ...

I'll get back to you.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <03-19-16/1611:59> »
Great post Crimsondude, as always!

Couple minor points -

1) CAS Marines would likely have a FAST team as well, There are currently (as of 2016) units at least Company strength stationed in King's Bay GA, Guantanamo Bay, Norfolk and yorkstown. These likely would have gone with CAS in the split.

2) No love for Scout/Snipers? ;) You might have just assumed they were part of MARSOC but they are seperate from Force Recon/Raiders.

Otherwise, love it.

"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-19-16/1739:56> »
Thanks. This is just a list of units that have been identified in existing products (Although I need to double-check on the last couple of releases). I had the list with the citations somewhere.

Anyway, I'd like to put together a more comprehensive list of what exists, but I can't right now.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <03-20-16/0117:09> »
Thanks. This is just a list of units that have been identified in existing products (Although I need to double-check on the last couple of releases). I had the list with the citations somewhere.

Anyway, I'd like to put together a more comprehensive list of what exists, but I can't right now.

I figured as much, but I couldn't help myself ;) Have to defend my beloved Corps
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #28 on: <03-22-16/1532:05> »

Great list, for sure.  Thanks for taking the time.

They are mentioned in Street Legends Supplemental PDF when they do Hard Exit's bio.  I definitely would add them as I bet they are even more hardcore after Texas was independent from the CAS for a while back I think in the 40s.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <03-22-16/1759:46> »
As a paramilitary unit, the Texas Rangers as an organization handles the state's intelligence and counterintelligence operations. Spy Games also mentions that fully badged Texas Rangers, not deputy Rangers or other uniformed officers, etc., are expected to run their own espionage and CI rings and be very self-sustaining as part of the whole "One riot, one Ranger" ethos.