NEWS

fleshing out a new group

• 4 Replies

farfromnice

• Chummer
« on: <03-28-15/1539:10> »
 I read New Model Amry by Adam Roberts, great book. And I was thinking that maybe the model is usable at shadowrun.

Basically, for those of you that didn't read the book, the idea is an anarchic without order or hierarchical structure. A TacNet link every "participant" in live forum were you can put requisition, support, etc. Tactics are vote on the forum in real time. Sure is not necessarily feasible on large scale war machine but on a more little scale it's (I think) a great idea (not that I particularly like military)

So I want to incorporate this idea in my game, I was thinking of a Black host somewhere, hunt by Met 2000 and Knight Errant, link to the Anarchist Black Cross. Members of your "army" can give you good or bad  point building an reputation economy, etc.

any thoughts ?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-28-15/1707:29> »
I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #2 on: <03-28-15/1708:02> »
From what I remember (and this is from a couple of years back) the whole system is very similar to the "Consensus" used by Horizon, i.e. all decisions are formed by the aggregate.  If that is how it goes then I strongly suggest reading the 4e adventure / sourcebooks A Fistful of Credsticks, Anarchy Subsidized, and Colombian Subterfuge.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

farfromnice

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <03-28-15/1729:07> »
From what I remember (and this is from a couple of years back) the whole system is very similar to the "Consensus" used by Horizon, i.e. all decisions are formed by the aggregate.  If that is how it goes then I strongly suggest reading the 4e adventure / sourcebooks A Fistful of Credsticks, Anarchy Subsidized, and Colombian Subterfuge.

yes I read them but i think that the consensus is a algorithm choosing what to do, I'm more thinking about a direct democratic unit. But the idea to applique The Consensus to military use is very scary : I like it

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

the idea is to build an new type/corp of mercenaries who don't have an owner or a board of decisions. All the soldier inside the "unit" will vote if they accept the contract or not, they will choose their combats in the same way etc.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <03-30-15/1413:07> »
... wow.  What a great idea.  I'd love to work against it - in part because a non-hierarchical military group, no matter what a fiction author says, is going to die, swiftly and horribly.  While information shared is the best idea, and specific unit-level tactics for limited actions may be the lieutenant's decision, most soldiers are not going to be capable of understanding all the necessary issues involved in a wider combat.

Faced with a decently competent officer and a force of equivalent size and effectiveness, they'd be obliterated due to pure indecision - because thinking and determining tactics takes time, as does coming to a consensus.  And time is one of the two most valuable things on a battlefield.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.