NEWS

SRM 04-09: Assasin Nation Now Available!

• 6 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <08-10-12/1354:10> »

The Night of Blood

The debate over the future of the Ork Underground is heating up. Proposition 23, which will decide whether or not the Underground becomes an official district of the city of Seattle, is coming up for a vote, and people on all sides are getting desperate. There are those, though, who understand that desperation can breed opportunity, and they are hatching plots that can help them take advantage of the chaos that is sure to rain down on the city. And there are others for who chaos is an end in and of itself.

Assassin Nation is the latest in the Shadowrun Missions series of adventures, designed for play in conventions, in stores, or in the comfort of your own home. Whether you've played the entire current series of Missions or are jumping in here, Assassin Nation will plunge you into the double-crosses and bloodletting that are part of the way things get done in the Sixth World, and it will all culminate in a night of audacious violence.

Shadowrun Mission 04-09: Assassin Nation is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

Download at:
DriveThru RPG
CGL Battleshop
« Last Edit: <08-10-12/1355:58> by Bull »

Qualidar

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-12/1554:36> »
Sweet, I was just coming over here to plead for a new mission adventure.  ;D

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-12/1710:23> »
Unfortunately Origins & Gen Con always gums up the production schedule.

Spanner

• Newb
  • Good? Bad? I'm the dwarf with the drones.
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-13/0956:08> »
Apologies in advance for the thread necro, but we just got done playing this mission.

I don't believe I'm in the minority when I say that players HATE railroad adventures. When the "Debugging" sections don't contain advice for what to do when a competent runner team engages with a scene, there's something wrong. Simple things like, "There are two people dead inside the house? It must be a setup. We have a spirit manifest inside, grab the deck, and break out through a window." or "Our rigger maintains drone air cover around the brothel so that nobody sneaks up on us. We need to be in and out in less than 60 seconds." or "You just hacked out commlinks, huh? The same commlink that has rating 6s all around and is icier than the north pole? That commlink? You make any rolls for that?"

Sorry, I can roll with a LITTLE exposition and plot in my missions, but taking the runners on a ride through a short story so that the "metaplot" can be advanced? Not too cool, and very un-empowering for the players. And when you take power away from the players, it's not a role playing game any more.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-15-13/1227:01> »
[spoiler]
It's just one of those modules that hinges on the players being pink mohawk morons with no tradecraft whatsoever.  A minimal amount of actually being good at Shadowrunning means that there is no story.

A little bit of astral recon, coupled with proper perimeter security and overwatch means you get the McGuffin, interrogate the person of interest, and unravel the whole thing pretty effortlessly.  Even taking down the responsible parties is fairly easily handled if you're not bound and determined to scream 'DING FRIES ARE DONE!" and run screaming facefirst into the bad guys while flinging your own waste at them.

When I stepped on the rail the first time, I said "screw it" and went with it because it seemed pretty obvious that the module wouldn't exist if I didn't and I'd rather enjoy playing my character than worry about 'winning' the mission when the author doesn't actually have a puzzle to be solved.  Sometimes, it's about finding the best way to accomplish the task because I like the puzzle.  This just wasn't one of those times.  I had a blast playing, but it was far from as enjoyable as some of the Manhattan missions that were much more free-form.
[/spoiler]

Spanner

• Newb
  • Good? Bad? I'm the dwarf with the drones.
« Reply #5 on: <06-15-13/2313:02> »
I hear you DWC. I just wanted to give feedback because I'm sure I'm not the only player that feels so strongly about railroad modules. They keep appearing in the Missions arcs so I figured I would speak up.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <06-17-13/0455:00> »
I did a short campaign based on SRM 3/5/7/11, 9 definitely was the odd one out that I kept out. Not just due to time constraints, but also because yeah, it was far too different and too much railroading for me to manage. I railroad enough myself but at least the players don't always notice.

What I did was let the things happen in a single month time, to really let Seattle go to hell quick. I let this one happen at the same time as 7, so the players were going shock-eyed and the one with Tosh as initial contact paid a decent chunk of nuyen to try to figure out what the heck was going on and whether Tosh was still alive.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!