NEWS

Fighting Chainsaws and Whips

• 35 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #30 on: <08-20-17/1714:29> »
I wasn't clear. I was saying it's perfectly legit SR world view to say. The corp you hit just hires you for a run of their own. Instead of vengeance, corp rep, morale they say. Damn they were good, we could use them. In a dystopian future setting there is no one right way to say corps react. Morale they spin a story though many innocent workers died we killed the runners on site and that's assuming that word gets out that it was overly bloody. Most likely the official story would be different. Reputation? They probably want to keep it quiet not keeping the story active investigating the runners and tracking them down. Bottom line? There are plenty more runners where the PCs came from what does hunting down group x solve? It's just a waste of resources. Basically any reason you come up for why they'd go and track them down there is just as good of a reason why they wouldn't. And both would be setting appropriate as the norm.

Canon suggests that any corp that says something like that is simply trying to luring your team into a trap. Aztec is noted in canon for taking totally disproportional revenge for even fairly minor slights. In the end all such question will fall to your GM and how it effects his campaign. But a corp of any size, from AAA to Start Up can't afford to look weak. Keep everything in shadows, that's how runners do business, if no one can prove the runner did it, then the target doesn't look weak and there for doesn't need to hunt down the runners.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #31 on: <08-21-17/0018:51> »
It's worth noting that Aztechnology giving "disproportionate" revenge does strongly imply that most other corps (aside from S-K maybe) are significantly less punishing.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #32 on: <08-21-17/0213:17> »
Yes, other corps are less punishing than the Big A. But that doesn't mean you can walk into a corporate office with a chainsaw and leave pieces of bodies all over the place and not expect a drekstorm to land directly on your head. Again, it isn't even the number of bodies, really. Twenty guards dead or hospitalized from bullet wounds will not make you any friends in the corp, but seven butchered corpses splattered in the hall will get you a far better chance of meeting a corporate hit squad. They might even hire other runners to take you out, make it look like 'gang violence', if they need to be hands off about it.

Bullet holes (assuming you avoid putting them in noncombatants) are business as usual. Chainsaws and monowhips bring more heat than guns because when you leave bodies in pieces, that's making a statement. Make a statement means that people are more likely to make one in return, and use you as an example of why making statements is a Bad Idea. Is it an instant death sentence? No, especially if that's a one-off. You start doing that often, though, and your jobs will trend towards the more hazardous, the contacts who don't want to be associated with 'that crazy fragger who cuts people up all the time' will stop taking your calls, and you're going to find corp hit squads are a more frequent part of your life.

It is A way to play, yes. And if that's what you want to do, go for it. But don't pretend that going Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Ares property is a way towards a long and profitable life.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <08-21-17/1950:57> »
I wasn't clear. I was saying it's perfectly legit SR world view to say. The corp you hit just hires you for a run of their own. Instead of vengeance, corp rep, morale they say. Damn they were good, we could use them. In a dystopian future setting there is no one right way to say corps react. Morale they spin a story though many innocent workers died we killed the runners on site and that's assuming that word gets out that it was overly bloody. Most likely the official story would be different. Reputation? They probably want to keep it quiet not keeping the story active investigating the runners and tracking them down. Bottom line? There are plenty more runners where the PCs came from what does hunting down group x solve? It's just a waste of resources. Basically any reason you come up for why they'd go and track them down there is just as good of a reason why they wouldn't. And both would be setting appropriate as the norm.

Canon suggests that any corp that says something like that is simply trying to luring your team into a trap. Aztec is noted in canon for taking totally disproportional revenge for even fairly minor slights. In the end all such question will fall to your GM and how it effects his campaign. But a corp of any size, from AAA to Start Up can't afford to look weak. Keep everything in shadows, that's how runners do business, if no one can prove the runner did it, then the target doesn't look weak and there for doesn't need to hunt down the runners.

I'd say canon suggests that dropping bodies isn't why they go for revenge. Unless the corpse was particularly valuable they just don't care. They might seek revenge if the run was specifically damaging. But I see no indication they are tracking down every runner that does a job against them. And there is less indication Aztechnology gives a crap about their employees. And that's assuming there is a canon on this. There is a reason this stuff is shadowtalk and not a rule. I have 0 problem with you running it that way. In fact that's generally how I run it. But, it's not the only way. What your flavor of dystopia is can vary wildly.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #34 on: <08-22-17/0017:18> »
I'd say canon suggests that dropping bodies isn't why they go for revenge. Unless the corpse was particularly valuable they just don't care. They might seek revenge if the run was specifically damaging. But I see no indication they are tracking down every runner that does a job against them. And there is less indication Aztechnology gives a crap about their employees. And that's assuming there is a canon on this. There is a reason this stuff is shadowtalk and not a rule. I have 0 problem with you running it that way. In fact that's generally how I run it. But, it's not the only way. What your flavor of dystopia is can vary wildly.

I feel it's worth noting I never said they did. I said they can't afford to look weak. Your setting can be as dystopian as you like, but what I said holds true.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <08-22-17/0048:46> »

I feel it's worth noting I never said they did. I said they can't afford to look weak. Your setting can be as dystopian as you like, but what I said holds true.
In your game it does. It does not hold true in all games. And simillsrly how they respond to looking weak can vary if that matters in your game as can what actions make you look weak.