NEWS

6E - Heal and "Injury"

• 24 Replies

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <11-11-19/1221:37> »
Specifically with respect to magical healing, the phrase "single set of injuries" (on page 120) seems much more confusing than helpful, and interpreting that as "all injuries received during a fight" doesn't seem to me to be the most obvious interpretation.  To me the most obvious interpretation would be "all injuries resulting from a single attack".   

Also, Xenon, I can't find anything on page 119 and 120 that says "you are only allowed to heal a subject a second time if he take more damage since after the first time you healed him."  I accept that might have been the intent of the designers, but that is not clearly stated anywhere.  Its just "single set of injuries".  Both first aid and medkit specify "after the end of a combat encounter", so practically in those cases the first aid/medkit would be affecting all the hits received in the recently concluded fight.  But a Heal spell only says "injuries can only be affected once" in its description on page 136 and does not include the "at the end of the combat encounter" phrase on page 120.  It could clearly be cast within a fight as an action, so a definition of "injury" is necessary and none is provided.

To be clear, Michael and Xenon and others, I'm not trying to argue with you about whether you are right or wrong.  I accept that given your greater experience that you are correct in what the intended interpretation of the rules should be.  I'm just pointing it out that this interpretation is not conveyed through the actual rules text to a person such as myself, who hasn't done Shadowrun since 1992. 

Michael, I suggest this might be a kind of change blindness?  Or maybe the phrase "at the end of a combat encounter" is missing from the Magical Healing description on page 120?  Either way, it seems like a candidate for a clarification and/or errata in whatever official document eventually arrives.

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <11-11-19/1416:40> »
so 6E wording is close to whats been around since 2E "A character can only be magically treated or healed once for any single set of injuries"

5e is probably more what you are looking for specific wording, "Any boxes of physical damage your target still had after any boxes are healed magically can only be healed by time and rest"

« Last Edit: <11-11-19/1420:13> by Giabralter »

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <11-11-19/1423:57> »
5e is probably more what you are looking for specific wording, "Any boxes of physical damage your target still had after any boxes are healed magically can only be healed by time and rest"
That sentence is much clearer.  I understand completely what that is telling me.   Assuming that was the intent of the rule, then it seems like the full rule is something like this (with a practical non-rule bookeeping assumption to make the rule clearer)...

During a Fight:
* Magical healing can only heal damage boxes without an asterisk; damage boxes with an asterisk have already been "exposed" to ineffective magic healing and can only be healed by First Aid, Medkit, and/or natural healing and recovery.   
* Whenever magical healing is used, mark any remaining unasterisked, unhealed damage box left after the healing with an asterisk.

Does that sound right?
« Last Edit: <11-11-19/1430:29> by skalchemist »

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <11-11-19/1433:33> »
That sentence is much clearer.  I understand completely what that is telling me.   Assuming that was the intent of the rule, then it seems like the full rule is something like this (with a non-rule bookeeping assumption)...

During a Fight:
You can cast Healing spells on a person to heal them.  Once they have been healed, mark each remaining damage box with a little asterisk or similar.  Those damage boxes cannot be healed by magic; they can only be healed by First Aid, Medkit, and/or natural recovery/rest.  Further damage taken during a fight (e.g. without an asterisk) can be healed with magic; again, mark any unmarked damage boxes with an asterisk.

Does that sound right?

That's correct.
(And I'll preface that's from the 5E perspective of healing from someone who helped write it)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <11-11-19/1831:28> »
The problem there was that it used to be First Aid first, Heal second, with that sentence. So in SR5, if you used Heal, First Aid was eliminated as option if you hadn't used it yet. The streamlining in 6w now appears to be explicitly aimed at allowing all 3 kinds of healing once per set of injuries, so no more having to get the order right to get the most out of your healing tricks.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <11-11-19/1907:02> »
Also, Xenon, I can't find anything on page 119 and 120 that says "you are only allowed to heal a subject a second time if he take more damage since after the first time you healed him."
skalchemist, the book is clear that you are not allowed to magically heal the same subject a second time until after he taken new injury that have not already been treated by magic healing.

SR6 p. 120 Magic
A character can be healed by Magic only once for any single set of injuries.

SR6 p. 136 Cleansing Heal
Injuries can only be affected once by any healing spell.

SR6 p. 136 Cooling Heal

SR6 p. 137 Warming Heal

SR6 p. 136 Heal
Injuries can only be affected once by any Heal spell (including Cleansing Heal, Cooling Heal, and Warming Heal).
« Last Edit: <11-11-19/1912:17> by Xenon »

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <11-11-19/1918:22> »
The problem there was that it used to be First Aid first, Heal second, with that sentence. So in SR5, if you used Heal, First Aid was eliminated as option if you hadn't used it yet. The streamlining in 6w now appears to be explicitly aimed at allowing all 3 kinds of healing once per set of injuries, so no more having to get the order right to get the most out of your healing tricks.

Yeah, there's a few differences
5e first aid can be applied within an hour of the target being wounded. 6e first aid has to be applied within a minute of target being wounded.
5e medkit was the autodoc tool to provide first aid or medicine instead of the character. 6e medkit is another first aid test in addition to the first aid kit test.
5e healing spell was only for physical damage. 6e healing spell is for physical and stun damage.
5e had an order between first aid and magic healing (no separate med kit healing). 6e you can use first aid, magic healing, and med kit in any order (Though there is a time factor that sets an implied order).

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <11-12-19/1237:58> »
[skalchemist, the book is clear that you are not allowed to magically heal the same subject a second time until after he taken new injury that have not already been treated by magic healing.

SR6 p. 120 Magic
A character can be healed by Magic only once for any single set of injuries.

SR6 p. 136 Cleansing Heal

SR6 p. 136 Cooling Heal

SR6 p. 137 Warming Heal

SR6 p. 136 Heal
Injuries can only be affected once by any Heal spell (including Cleansing Heal, Cooling Heal, and Warming Heal).
Xenon, what you call clear I call confusing.  You are assuming "single set of injuries" = "all the damage taken in a combat encounter" (if I am understanding your earlier post).  But setting aside previous edition knowledge (which I do not have), why does it have to mean that?  My instinctual interpretation of that phrase is "all damage taken from a single attack".  That would mean you could roll a heal spell for each attack, but if that healing did not clear off all that damage, the remainder would linger, but it wouldn't matter what order the attacks occurred.  That would be more like "injury" was referring to the actual physical wounds.  Consider this example:

Bob gets shot by a guard firing on Burst Fire and takes 3 damage.  Then he gets shot by the same guard on Burst Fire and takes 3 more damage.  Then he gets shot a third time by the same guard on Burst Fire and takes 3 more damage.    Now I try to heal Bob. 

Your interpretation is that all of those 9 damage are one "set of injuries".   Reading other replies here, I think this is probably what the designers intended.  But in the fiction, each of those attacks also caused a "set of injuries" in the English language sense of the phrase.  Each attack meant that Bob was hit by one or more bullets, causing one or more holes in poor Bob.  Each attack conceivably caused injuries, plural, to Bob and therefore could be considered a "set of injuries" in and of itself.  Under that interpretation, each package of 3 is a different "set of injuries". I could therefore use heal on him three times.  In fact, I would HAVE to use Heal on him three times if I wanted to try to heal him completely, because I couldn't heal all 9 damage at once, I could only heal it the chunks of 3.

The consensus seems to be that your interpretation is correct, and I'm fine with that.  But I disagree, it is not clear at all, that's why I asked the question.  I'd like to think if it was clear, I wouldn't have needed to ask.   :)
« Last Edit: <11-12-19/1241:05> by skalchemist »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <11-12-19/1352:32> »
Bob gets shot by a guard firing on Burst Fire and takes 3 damage.  Then he gets shot by the same guard on Burst Fire and takes 3 more damage.  Then he gets shot a third time by the same guard on Burst Fire and takes 3 more damage.    Now I try to heal Bob. 
Once you successfully landed your heal spell Bob can now no longer be healed my magical means again. Magical healing can only be applied once for a single set of injuries. Injuries can only be affected once by any healing spell. Not twice. This is not ambiguous.

Your interpretation is that all of those 9 damage are one "set of injuries".
Yes....?
Each injury is 3 boxes.
The entire set of injuries are 9 boxes.
Heal is applied on the set of injuries (plural)
Heal is not applied on each individual injury (singular)

Each attack meant that Bob was hit by one or more bullets, causing one or more holes in poor Bob.  Each attack conceivably caused injuries, plural, to Bob and therefore could be considered a "set of injuries" in and of itself.  Under that interpretation, each package of 3 is a different "set of injuries".
How many bullets or knifes that was used to cause all 9 boxes does not matter.

Heal will always only be applied once on the entire set of injuries.
Heal will never be individually applied on each individual injury.

I could therefore use heal on him three times. 
No.

In fact, I would HAVE to use Heal on him three times if I wanted to try to heal him completely, because I couldn't heal all 9 damage at once, I could only heal it the chunks of 3.
Citation needed that support your idea about individual Heal may be applied on individual injuries.

The consensus seems to be that your interpretation is correct, and I'm fine with that.  But I disagree, it is not clear at all, that's why I asked the question.  I'd like to think if it was clear, I wouldn't have needed to ask.   :)
I find a lot of rules to be ambiguous (5th edition more so than 6th edition), but in this case it is clear that individual Heal spells will not be applied to individual injuries. Heal will be applied to the whole set of injuries.
« Last Edit: <11-12-19/1418:17> by Xenon »

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <11-12-19/1650:49> »
I find a lot of rules to be ambiguous (5th edition more so than 6th edition), but in this case it is clear that individual Heal spells will not be applied to individual injuries. Heal will be applied to the whole set of injuries.
I agree that what you are saying is likely what the designers intended, but I'm still not buying that is the only reasonable way to interpret the words in the rulebook. 

But who cares?  Further conversation on this topic is probably unfruitful.  I claimed it was unclear, you claimed it was clear, then I didn't agree with you, then you didn't agree with me.  Four posts back and forth on whether the wording is clear or unclear is probably all the topic really deserves.  Unless you feel I am somehow doing an injustice to the designers or something, I'm happy to leave it at that. 

I've gotten my questions answered, and know how to work with it in play.  For that I thank everyone for their help.