NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #525 on: <05-22-14/0104:05> »
trust me, there is more then enough current still active in MEAT to register a charge, thus, there is more then enough power to keep a few nanites alive.

And a few is all you need......
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #526 on: <05-22-14/0104:22> »
In Stolen Souls, it's mentioned that nanites draw off of the body's thermal and electric energy.  So lower the body temperature (as is done for some surgeries), add a hibernate spell (in hibernation, central nervous system activity is drastically suppressed), and that may bring the energy below the threshhold for the nanites to remain viable.  Too easy an answer, but speculation sure is fun!

Well, turning them off isn't entirely the problem. Since you'll have to bring that person back from being almost dead sooner or later and then so come back online the nanites. And fleshing them out might not be the answer either since the internal processes that normally flush them out have been disabled. You might be able to hook up a kidney dialysis machine or something else that filters the blood, but that won't get them all. Some will probably dig into the muscle or brain itself to do their thing.

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« Reply #527 on: <05-22-14/0111:09> »
In Stolen Souls, it's mentioned that nanites draw off of the body's thermal and electric energy.  So lower the body temperature (as is done for some surgeries), add a hibernate spell (in hibernation, central nervous system activity is drastically suppressed), and that may bring the energy below the threshhold for the nanites to remain viable.  Too easy an answer, but speculation sure is fun!

Sounds like it's time for a little exploratory surgery to test it.

Any volunteers?
You're only ever one bag of grenades away from chunky salsa.

http://powerwalkinginthedarkness.wordpress.com/

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« Reply #528 on: <05-22-14/1708:34> »
trust me, there is more then enough current still active in MEAT to register a charge, thus, there is more then enough power to keep a few nanites alive.

And a few is all you need......
Then you pop the survivors with an EMP, and call it a day. :)
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #529 on: <05-24-14/0041:31> »
How about a clean hive of nanite hunter killers?
Check pg 83  in Stolen Souls for this, looks like the Hunter Killer nanites they tried to use were subverted/destroyed by the CFD nanites.

Maybe a whole new design of nanite using alternate makeup so they can not be compromised may need to be developed.

Ah thanks don't had the book yet.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #530 on: <05-24-14/0729:20> »
I am curious about the interaction with Sybil and spirits. Namely: 1) What happens when someone infected with Sybil is inhabited by an insect or other inhabitation spirit? 2) What happens when someone inhabited by an insect or inhabitation spirit is infected with Sybil?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« Reply #531 on: <05-24-14/2314:10> »
I am curious about the interaction with Sybil and spirits. Namely: 1) What happens when someone infected with Sybil is inhabited by an insect or other inhabitation spirit? 2) What happens when someone inhabited by an insect or inhabitation spirit is infected with Sybil?

Or, with a little less risk to yourself, what happens when a Loa rides(Possesses) someone with a late-stage Sybil infection?
You're only ever one bag of grenades away from chunky salsa.

http://powerwalkinginthedarkness.wordpress.com/

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #532 on: <05-25-14/0458:53> »
This is discussed in Stolen Souls as well.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #533 on: <05-25-14/0816:33> »
Where? I saw mention of using spirits and spells to blast the nanites, and definitely saw the mention of what happens to the Infected when they get infected, but didn't see anything dealing with possession spirits or inhabitation spirits.

My Characters

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #534 on: <05-28-14/1653:55> »

Sounds like it's time for a little exploratory surgery to test it.

Any volunteers?
I volunteer Clockwork.

But back to the subject: don't have Stolen Souls yet, but the way you are talking about this prof. Xavier suggests this isn't her first appearance. Who is she?

Also, how about a custom sustained/quickened spell that would create an offensive version of physical barrier that only works on nanites?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #535 on: <05-28-14/1824:23> »
Patricia/Penelope Anne/Ann Xavier. PAX. Not that strange the Sybil kids also hold a grudge against Renraku and Deus' kids...

As for Clockwork, he actually did good work in Stolen Souls.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #536 on: <05-28-14/2036:16> »
As he was warned, we are , as I consider his behaviour unacceptable bullying, 2 Michael Chandra posts from thread lockdown. Two posts, so he can get the second warning, from someone not on his ignore list.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #537 on: <05-29-14/0124:39> »
As he was warned, we are , as I consider his behaviour unacceptable bullying, 2 Michael Chandra posts from thread lockdown. Two posts, so he can get the second warning, from someone not on his ignore list.
... whaaaaaaa ???
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

martinchaen

« Reply #538 on: <05-29-14/0126:45> »
... whaaaaaaa ???
CFD in action?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #539 on: <05-29-14/0240:13> »
Did I miss something when I was banned for six months?

My Characters