NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« on: <05-20-13/0752:28> »
As some of us noticed in Upcomming releases, this "Sybila virus plotline" was intentionaly leaked ;) Anything known to it? (somehow this resonates with "Cassandra alternative" mentioned in some amazon preorder)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-20-13/0758:27> »
My mistake. Fastjack, can you please move this thread to "Secret history" section? Thank you!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <05-20-13/0830:54> »
I'm fairly certain it has everything to do with what has happened to Fastjack, Miles Lanier, and others.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Dragonslayer

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <05-20-13/0846:50> »
What happen to Lanier?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-20-13/0857:01> »
Read Storm Front.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-20-13/1053:50> »
Read Storm Front.

This. That book is awesome :) Almost as good as Safehouses ;)

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #6 on: <05-20-13/1131:18> »
Wait what is the "Sybila virus plotline" ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-20-13/1152:16> »
Thanx Boll

From the retailers previews:

Shadowrun: Stolen SoulS Shedding further light on the Sybil virus plotline, this Shadowrun, Fifth Edition sourcebook provides extensive information on New York City in the Sixth World, as well as details on extraction runs, giving shadowrunners tools, gear, and technique that can help get people out of tightly guarded spots. Scheduled to ship in July 2013. PSI CAT27200............................$44.99

August

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-20-13/1554:12> »
Wait what is the "Sybila virus plotline" ?
I am 95% certain that this is what is happening to Fastjack, Miles Lanier, and others. Given the melding of man and machine, it was only a matter of time before a computer virus was able to affect the wetware in this way. I wonder if Pax is involved somehow...

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-20-13/1610:42> »
I wonder if that is what was described in "Eye of the hurricane"

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-20-13/1615:04> »
It certainly fits the symptoms, yes. And it would prove that implants aren't the only way to get it. I'd say that the same thing happened out on Evo's Mars base. Closed network with a virus that no antivirus software would recognize? Everyone's getting it in short order.

My Characters

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <05-20-13/1731:27> »
It certainly fits the symptoms, yes. And it would prove that implants aren't the only way to get it. I'd say that the same thing happened out on Evo's Mars base. Closed network with a virus that no antivirus software would recognize? Everyone's getting it in short order.

Is this the plan for the entire SR universe?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-20-13/1751:22> »

That character had nanotats, and it is clear nanotech is in some way involved.

I'm certain this is that plot, thogu - the name simply cannot be a coincidence.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-20-13/1805:29> »
Indeed. The question, then, is where did the virus come from? It seems clear that this is some kind of computer virus capable of rewriting the mind of the infected person. While the AI angle looked good for a while, this part has me leaning more towards Dissonant technomancers. So far (to my knowledge), they are the only ones that have really been able to generate viruses capable of affecting the user's meat.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #14 on: <05-20-13/1829:53> »
Don't be silly.  What do you think Black IC is?  This is a clear, obvious outgrowth of psychotropic IC - albeit in an uncontrolled manner.  Each affected individual had interaction with a certain very few locations - locations which were chock full of server farms containing electronic sentients (to form a group to sum up AI, E-Ghosts, and Free Sprites) upon whom the electronic version of vivisection was being performed while they were alive and aware of it happening.  This is exploratory surgery without anesthetic - and, in fact, making sure your patient is awake so they can feel all the pain, watch what's being done to them, and scream at the horror of it.

The spirit power of Possession/Inhabitation is far, far closer to what is actually happening.  And 'revenge' seems to me to be the primary motivator there ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.