NEWS

335 to go....

• 99 Replies

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #60 on: <05-21-13/1907:31> »
That's pretty accurate.  I'm terrified that my book collection will become useless soon.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #61 on: <05-21-13/2015:06> »
I have to say that i agree with Reaver, it seems the most logical explanation for why there would be a slowing of sales with most of the books, that being said i'm sure i will be broke for a long while when the new edition comes out (will have to get my stuff as downloadable pdf,being on the worlds biggest island means everything takes longer and costs more to get).

@Canray
Mate i think they will look at overall sales not just one book, must say that i really enjoyed reading it but won't be using much besides the qualities in the back, while my players seem to like using drugs in game, they tend to chemical drugs rather than BTL chips.
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <05-21-13/2026:11> »
Fair enough.

Now when is your next book out??? I really did enjoy the last couple
When it's out.  Hell, considering the sales (Not even gold!) for Sim Dreams and Nightmares, I'd be surprised they want me to write for them again.  :P

Yeah, I haven't gotten it for two reasons. Number one, I'm broke and I need to save up to be able to pick up SR5 when it comes out and number two, I just can't bring myself to get another 4th ed. book with the new edition so close to release.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #63 on: <05-21-13/2029:31> »
Fluff is editionless.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <05-21-13/2059:42> »
Fluff is editionless.
your mostly right with that but sometimes things don't translate too well and things like qualities might end up not making it accross, (D&D being a good example).

Fair enough.

Now when is your next book out??? I really did enjoy the last couple
When it's out.  Hell, considering the sales (Not even gold!) for Sim Dreams and Nightmares, I'd be surprised they want me to write for them again.  :P

Yeah, I haven't gotten it for two reasons. Number one, I'm broke and I need to save up to be able to pick up SR5 when it comes out and number two, I just can't bring myself to get another 4th ed. book with the new edition so close to release.
i picked it up with my last paycheck but yeah i'm gonna have to safe because i tend to buy books in bulk lots to make sure i can give my players the most bang for their characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #65 on: <05-21-13/2326:25> »
How many more posts to go?

SIXTY-NINE!!!

;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <05-21-13/2355:49> »
Fluff is editionless.

And that is a third problem for me. I generally need there to be at least 50/50 split between "fluff" and mechanics for a source book to be worth getting--to me. If one side is going to be more present, it needs to be the mechanic side, IMO.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #67 on: <05-22-13/0055:36> »
Fluff is editionless.
And that is a third problem for me. I generally need there to be at least 50/50 split between "fluff" and mechanics for a source book to be worth getting--to me. If one side is going to be more present, it needs to be the mechanic side, IMO.
Yeah, well, I did better in Safehouses.  Sim Dreams and Nightmares didn't need much in the way of rules.  The fluff was the reason for it.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <05-22-13/0058:06> »
Fluff is editionless.

See for me the fluff is as important as mechanics but that being said i think the first few books in any edition have to be slanted more towards mechanics and basic concepts that allow you to bring new players into the game, ( in my group 3 out of the six players are new to shadowrun, but not new to roleplaying) and they found that getting the details of the world with the rules made it easier to learn the capabilities of their characters, (why having a smartgun system is such a common mod to the meta human body for example) and so i really hope that while the new edition has lots of the game mechanics and examples for those mechanics that there is a fair bit of fluff too

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #69 on: <05-22-13/0210:29> »
Rules are rules. They are important!

But fluff is epic! It is the gravy of the meal while the rules are the meat and potatoes. you need the fluff to help you visualize the setting and the world.

Yea, I know how the rules work for a technomancer hacking the matrix... Yea I know the rules for a Mage summoning a spirit.... But the fluff is what brings it to life and gives it flavor!!!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #70 on: <05-24-13/0745:15> »
Actually, I'd say "fluff" is a hell of a lot more important than game mechanics or rules. The d20 System pretty much drove that point home, as the main difference between an excellent d20 System Setting and a crap one was all fluff, since the d20System had already set down all the mechanics and rules and what not. Everything else was fluff. The difference between a post-apoc zombie hunting game and a fantasy duneon-crawler was just settings, weapons sets, and a few feats and whatnot. You know, fluff.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #71 on: <05-24-13/0809:29> »
That... is some seriously flawed logic.  Just because you can name a successful system that has variants with different fluff, that doesn't mean that all fluff is the ruling factor for games.  I have personally played 20+ game systems over the years.  I always picked my game system by what seemed to have an interesting setting.  Many times, this was a huge mistake because the awesome setting was attached to an awful game system.  In the end, I started taking good settings and putting them on top of other game systems to create a tolerable game.  You can make the fluff whatever you want, but an awful game system is an awful game system, and when it comes down to it...  The game mechanic is what makes the game exciting or not.  You can use the exact same explanation and setting on top of different games, and the excitement and fun level will vary.  Hell, you could just have it be a storytelling game.  Would that have tons of great fluff?  Yep.  Would it be a fun game?  Not really.  Superhero posing/emoting is dull as hell.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #72 on: <05-24-13/0840:14> »
Actually, there are a lot of great storytelling games out there with minimal rules. Of course, I go for story over shoot 'em up or hack n' slash type things. The best stories are the ones in which the rules were flubbed a little in order to do something truly epic in the story. And almost every game system has the Golden Rule, where in rules take a back seat to story, every time.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #73 on: <05-24-13/0853:06> »
A storytelling game?  That sounds awful.  If I wanted to play a storytelling game, I would do it.  It's called writing a story.  I play a game to play a game.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #74 on: <05-24-13/0907:25> »
A storytelling game?  That sounds awful.  If I wanted to play a storytelling game, I would do it.  It's called writing a story.  I play a game to play a game.
Its how I game.  My games are, on a good day, really cool stories.  They ain't competitions, but the GM and players working together to create a great rip-roaring story and have  a great time doing it.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P