NEWS

Floorplan/Map Software Frustration

• 11 Replies

Talgrath

• Newb
« on: <02-12-17/2333:57> »
So, I've been running a Shadowrun campaign for a few months now, and I've been using the very handy "Homestyler" tool to make maps (link here: http://www.homestyler.com/), both for myself and partially filled in maps for when they do some snooping/bribing and are able to get a map of the location.  So far so good, but Homestyler is built to make homes, not office buildings, and it's crapping out on me now that the group is experienced enough for some "real" corp runs, 100m x 50m and some extra stuff tossed in causes Homestyler to crap out on me.  I've tried a few others, like SketchUp, but they all seem to be aimed at making smaller buildings.  I looked at some others like Campaign Cartographer 3 with the "modern" pack, but I've heard it's hard to use and it's not cheap.  Does anyone have some recommendations for some software I could use to make larger floorplans?  Ideally free, but if not, at least less than $50.
It's just a little kid, how dangerous could it be?  - PC's last words

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-17/2055:05> »
As a drafting professional and 30 year SR veteran I can tell you that you've got 2 options:
1: downgrade your drawings to more simple representations
2: upgrade to professional grade software costing hundreds to thousands of dollars

I've had access to use professional software like AutoCAD and Microstation in the past while I was gainfully employed and been forced to use SketchUp and other freeware now that I live on Vet Benefits.

The only means by which I could continue to use the freeware to represent larger facilities was to simplify my product down to single plane/surface for a wall/door or similar instead of photo-realistic 3D.

Talgrath

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-19-17/1837:37> »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to see how I can set that up, quite frankly I don't want it to be 3D anyway.
It's just a little kid, how dangerous could it be?  - PC's last words

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <02-23-17/2008:56> »
An other option is to do a 'dirty' cut and paste.

Design each floor of the building.... or do 1/4 of the floor.... and print and cut and tape them together to get a larger area....

(Personally, I just use a 6ft gridded white board and draw the floor plans on it...)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-07-17/0547:32> »
I use A1 sheets that are for flip boards and dry wipe pens :D

After a few days though what ever you have put on them is permanent without a good scrub!

Nightmaster

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-23-17/1221:45> »
Try SweetHome3D (http://www.sweethome3d.com/). Its a freeware home design program that allow you to view a 3D representation of the house you are building. It also allow you to import furniture that are in formats like .dae, .obj and such.

You can print your "deckplans" quite easily and its very pratical
« Last Edit: <03-23-17/1448:03> by Nightmaster »

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #6 on: <03-23-17/1414:04> »
The paid version of SweetHome seems to be only $15, which doesn't seem too bad either.

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-25-17/2114:12> »
If you want to go the premade route then this line of maps look great. Obviously made with 'shadowrun' in mind and dirt cheap.

http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/9110/Shadowplans

Scott1228

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-28-17/0825:45> »
I have looked all over for something to make my own maps and have yet to find what i like yet, but I did find these in my search and for under 20$ got all that they had (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/9110/Shadowplans?term=shadow&test_epoch=0) is the link one of the sets are just sections so you can configure how you like as well as mix and match from other sets. This might help until something can be found maybe under a cartography program or something

brombur

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-10-18/0958:37> »
I use Pixlr from google, its a free photo editing software package. If you have the time you can learn to use it to make everything from tokens to maps relatively efficiently. If you don't want to take the time you can check out a sight called the cartographer's guild. There are dozens of aspiring map makers that would love a chance to make maps for you for a reasonable price. Go check the sight and search the forums for my posts and you can see the maps I've made in Pixlr for my own shadowrun game

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-17-18/1603:23> »
I use A1 sheets that are for flip boards and dry wipe pens :D

After a few days though what ever you have put on them is permanent without a good scrub!

Actually, if you use a fine-tip permanent marker to write your intended information first it can persist quite some time.

And then when you want to erase it, even months later, grab a dry-erase marker AND a paper towel.
  • Squiggle the dry-erase marker over the permanent marker lines in 1-2 inch areas at a time.
  • The chemicals of the dry-erase marker will loosen the permanent marker for the time it takes for the dry-erase marker to dry so
  • Wipe quickly and in small areas at a time.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-03-18/2117:58> »
When I really need an interesting map I just google something like "hospital floor plan" and tons of maps come up.
I find one that looks somewhat like what I want and then use Photoshop (or whatever) to edit it and/or remove info.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.