NEWS

Sim Dreams and Nightmares!

• 54 Replies

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #45 on: <03-24-13/1140:23> »
IIRC, that incident happened much later in the day. The correct word would most likely be "Dinner."

Just me being pedantic....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #46 on: <03-24-13/1147:33> »
IIRC, that incident happened much later in the day. The correct word would most likely be "Dinner."

Just me being pedantic....

Let me guess: Those most skilled UN operatives became early breakfast?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #47 on: <03-24-13/1307:10> »
Plan 9 brings up something that I had never really considered in the SR setting - The UN. I would have thought that particular organization dead and gone or at least completely irrelevant. How much power does the UN wield in the 2070's?
Ironically, slightly more than it does today, which isn't saying much.

The UN has become a tool for the Corporate Court to deal with Governments that aren't playing ball, but haven't done enough to warrant destroying their economy completely (Or it's not cost effective to do so.).  UN forces still provide humanitarian aid in areas that have suffered extreme situations, and still operates it's Peacekeeper force drawn from it's various members military units.

You can find a reference to this in Arsenal:
Quote from: Arsenal_Page_24
FN P93 Praetor: The P93 is a bullpup submachine gun developed for the Corporate Court-controlled United Nations peacekeeping forces. During the riots following the Second Matrix Crash in 2064, it became obvious that many of the so called “blue helmets” were ill-equipped for military riot-suppression operations...
It's also a very nice looking SMG with decent stats.

Other than that, the UN is just like the Corporate Court, trying to keep the peace between inherently belligerent groups, some of whom have military forces or more than enough funds to hire Shadowrunners.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <03-24-13/1420:54> »
Is it real that such organisations (WHO, UN...possibly even some governments that mattrsl like USAC, CAS, NEEC etc :)) are not covered in any sourcebook? Isnt there at least entry in 6WA for them?

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <03-24-13/1524:45> »
In Fourth edition you mean? The United Nations Organization had something like 5 pages in Loose Alliances, and the NEEC also had 4 and half a page in Shadows of Europe, where it was originally introduced. On the UCAS government, you had bit there and there (from the The Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America to Conspiracy Theories).

A 100+ pages dedicated sourcebook (like Tir Tairngire or Aztlan, no. Though NEEC membership was used as an in-game excuse to explain why SoE covers only certain countries in Europe (so technically it is a NEEC sourcebook).

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-24-13/1631:32> »
Perfect answer. Thank you very much!

Somtaaw0

• Newb
« Reply #51 on: <03-27-13/0048:14> »
Ok, Duh. Hestaby addresses the UN in SOTA'73. Must have been a senior moment there (40 years early). So the UN is basically one more puppet of the CC. Got it. Thanks.
I felt a great disturbance in the force. As if a significant plotline suddenly cried out in terror... and was suddenly silenced.--Torg @ Sluggy.com

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #52 on: <03-27-13/0059:51> »
Ok, Duh. Hestaby addresses the UN in SOTA'73. Must have been a senior moment there (40 years early). So the UN is basically one more puppet of the CC. Got it. Thanks.
So, the more things change...  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #53 on: <05-05-13/1907:54> »
Come on folks, let's get this book to Gold!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CanRay