NEWS

Background music

• 77 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #60 on: <10-08-10/2002:58> »
I mentioned this to an old GM chum of mine who sent a group of happy little runners to Kyoto for a run. Part of it was to infiltrate a nightclub. He told me that he used a lot of anime as the background for the club called "Baby Seal"...*groan*. But he used themes from Bleach, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Vision of Escaflowne, Ruroni Kenshin, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Gundam Wing, and Gundam 00. Not bad, but I remarked that he must have ripped off Cartoon Network for ideas.

8)

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #61 on: <10-09-10/0526:16> »
If your GM tells you you are going into a warzone and grabs his "Transformers I" soundtrack CD... run. Run for your lives.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #62 on: <10-12-10/1006:04> »
It really depends...
Dead Can Dance, some Goa Trance tracks when it gets spiritual...
Silent Stream of Goddes Elegy, Dream Teather, Therion and such when it gets dark...
Elend when it gets really dark!!
Rammstein, Paradise Lost, Prodigy, for some combat sequencies (like a pub fight in Orcish underground)
50 cent and others, when it is time to kill some gangstas or posers...
Nine Inch Nails, Frontline Assembly, Kraftwerk, Die Krups etc to get the feeling of the streets, lights, hum and the atmosphere of the night city
Black Sun Empire when it comes to ride a car
ACDC and good old hevy metal for a bike :)
Morcheeba, US3 and other triphop ilusionists for a good time on the streets :)
Sepultura, Soulfly, Prodigy, Rob Zombie etc... for major clashes
Hammerfall, Nightwish, Stratovarius etc. for those heroic elves :D
old school Cypress Hill...you know...when its time to roll one :)

And many, many others, what players brought by or the mood asks. Lots of soundtracks, like Matrix, GITS, Heavy Metal 2000,  xXx, Platoon, Forest Gump, Full Metal Jacket, Batman...
« Last Edit: <10-12-10/1017:04> by Sichr »

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #63 on: <10-26-10/1132:07> »
another one is the Five finger death punch remake of "Bad Company"......I think my gunslinger adept (now the fixer Wolfgar) is getting it as a theme song. His used to be Saliva's "Click click boom"
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <01-26-13/0433:03> »
You may want to try this one:

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/amygdala-modus-operandi

Amygdala brings us further into his musical vision of the classic cyberpunk aesthetic defined in William Gibson’s Neuromancer. Blending old school Goa trance with contemporary electronic music influences, Amygdala conjures a unique cinematic style designed to mentally transport the listener to an imaginary high-tech cityscape populated by cyborg mercenaries, corporate spies, and artificial intelligences. Mastered by Colin Bennun @ The Stooodio, U.K., with photography and design by Alexander Synaptic.

Sacredsouless

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <01-28-13/0413:39> »
I have yet to try music in any of my games....but it does look like a D&D game is picking up nearby. I'm probably gonna break out my Dream Evil albums for that. Their Dragonslayer album seems like it would be especially appropriate. As for SR....probably just look up some techno, most of my metal and rock (that being at least 90% of my music) doesn't fit the setting as I see it. Though Nujabes Battlecry (theme song from Samurai Champloo) would be a pretty cool theme song for a street sam.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <01-28-13/1446:36> »
Ive h´just started the serie :) looks good so far.

TheHug

• Newb
« Reply #67 on: <01-31-13/0022:00> »
Haven't yet, but would love to play some Kavinsky during a game. It's got sort of a built in, 80's nostalgia/videogamyness that screams cyberpunk to me.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #68 on: <01-31-13/1632:44> »
John Cale is one of classics that has right feeling IMO

BallPtPenTheif

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <01-31-13/1945:49> »
I was thinking about this the other day as I was testing around with Roll20's interface. They have an audio stream imbedded in their program, and I wondered how one would go about utilizing music to help define the game.

My biggest fear would be that somebody would use the game as their own personal jukebox and just trample over the aesthetic of the game with Nickelback or anything that wouldn't potentially fit.

the Attitude book covers several popular bands and genres and i think the best approach would be to cast the discography of lesser known but essential Proto genre bands to each specific Shadowrun band. I don't have the Attitude source book with me but for example if there's a Shadowrun band that you wanted to sound like Black Sabbath, you could use Witch Finder General instead, and basically use all of their songs in every instance where the respective Shadowrun band is playing. They do this in films all the time, such as when they used Jonathan Davis' songs for Lestat in Queen of the Damned.

This would prevent most players from having catchy songs they know playing in the background and you would have musical continuity between runs while fleshing out the respective scenery. The only downside is that if you're not that familiar with music then it'll take for research to find proto bands that fairly represent an intended genre.
“The human race sleepwalked to oblivion, thinking only of the corporate logos on it's shroud.”  ― J.G. Ballard

Ragmon

• Newb
« Reply #70 on: <02-06-13/0830:12> »
Try: Juno Reactor (if it has not been mentioned already)

Beerhamut

• Newb
  • Beer and Dragons. What else do you need?
« Reply #71 on: <03-13-19/1656:59> »
Hi.

I haven't touched a forum since I was in high school. Almost... 20 years? Jesus... Since I'm teaching myself the ways of the GM I figured I'd dig around for insight on the official Shadowrun-blah-blah-boards, and have been doing so for a few days now.

Anyway.

Music is and has always been the driving force for all things creative in my life. Before I started really diving into Shadowrun rules, and lore, I started building playlists for specific cyber-punk situations. I've sorted through thousands of tracks and Synth Wave is really what does it for me. Dreamy 70s, 80s, and 90s synths with modern production, and techno beats? Perfect.

I made this Spotify master playlist over a few month period:

https://open.spotify.com/user/ickynicholas/playlist/2004skMeparOrvZ0jwa1Gl?si=VRWytt8QTy2ciVwfXwB4oA

And with my newbie blessing, I (hopefully) breathe life back into this thread.
Sent from my iPhone

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #72 on: <03-13-19/1727:26> »
Have you tried 808 State?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Beerhamut

• Newb
  • Beer and Dragons. What else do you need?
« Reply #73 on: <03-13-19/1739:06> »
Have you tried 808 State?

Old school. Honestly, I don't think I've ever listened to 808 State, and I have friends that would probably punch me in the face for even saying that.
Sent from my iPhone

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #74 on: <03-30-19/0254:17> »
I love having a background soundtrack to my game. I also listen to it while preparing for a game. I have a pretty extensive Spotify playlist for Shadowrun at this point. It's a lot of soundtracks including Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049, some of Thor: Ragnarok, the soundtrack for Shadowrun Dragonfall and Shadowrun Hong Kong are in there. Kravinsky's OutRun is there.

The sound of Shadowrun to me is definitely techno and from looking through the thread, it seems I'm not alone in that feeling. That's why it's a shock to me that it seems nobody has mentioned Carpenter Brut and the Trilogy album, or as I am known to call it, the unofficial Shadowrun soundtrack. I mean, you just have to look at the album cover and you get the impression Carpenter Brut set out to make a Shadowrun album. In my opinion, it delivers exactly what it promises.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1s9SmrQRE