NEWS

[SR5] FAQ Wiki

• 20 Replies

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« on: <02-13-16/1021:14> »
I've always thought that there was a need for a place for people to collect all the questions and answers of weird (or just hard-to-understand) things about SR5 in one place that links out to references of why the given answer is the right one.

So, this week, I made the SR5-FAQ wiki. Here's what it's for and how it's meant to be used:

There is a general feeling among many of the members of the Shadowrun community that there are large elements of the rules of Shadowrun Fifth Edition are in need of clarification. At the same time, there has been a lack of standardized errata releases for later products in the release line. This means that answers to common questions like "what attribute does a rigger use when jumped in to a drone for Pilot tests?" are hard to find and hard to source why the correct answer of Reaction is the correct answer.

This wiki will serve as a place to collect answers to these questions, organized both by book and by topic. In the case of each answer, it will need to be sourced so that the level of veracity is obvious. The acceptable sources are:

• Word of Catalyst: This must be accompanied by either a textual reference (for instance, Chrome Flesh, page 37) or a link to a member of the Catalyst team stating it.
  • Word of Translator: This is for the places where a translated version of the 5th edition rules states things more clearly. It should be stated what the textual reference is so that it can be verified.
  • Word of Freelancer: This must be accompanied by a link to a Freelancer stating the ruling in a place where they can be recognized as a Freelancer, such as the ShadowGrid forums. It should also include the name or handle of the Freelancer.
  • Word of Missions: This must be accompanied by a textual reference to the Missions ruling or a link to a member of the Missions team stating it.
  • Community Decision: This must be accompanied by a link to a discussion thread where this decision is made. In the case of a community decision, there may be conflicting decisions and each should be represented so that players can make their own decision..

There's not a lot of content yet, but that's why this is a community project. If you're too lazy to add it in yourself, please feel free to drop questions and references to the answers in this thread and I'll eventually get them on the wiki.

House rules should not be posted on this wiki. If there is a desire for a place to collect house rules, someone should start and manage another wiki for that purpose. I recommend SR5-House Rules and I'll clean up both mine and /u/Bamce's Alchemy rules and toss them up.
« Last Edit: <02-17-16/1100:18> by falar »

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-16/1110:26> »
I already love this. Thanks for taking the initiative, Falar

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-13-16/1815:40> »
Thanks Falar, I've stickier this for future reference.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <02-14-16/0017:11> »
Great initiative! Thanks for doing it
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-14-16/0319:45> »
I guess I'll start the ball rolling and create, What metamagics can mystic adepts learn? in the rules question.

Of course the RAW answer is the metamagics listed under the Undecided Way plus the metamagics under what ever Way they follow. Additionally, if and only if a mystic adept follows the Magician's Way, any non-adept metamagic they meet the perquisite for.

The last sentence is entrenched in the Magician's Way but lots of people seem to want to ignore it or say it's wrong, so I guess they ought to get their say.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23400.msg433844#msg433844

« Last Edit: <02-14-16/0326:26> by Pap Renvela »

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-14-16/0951:24> »
Great initiative! Thanks for doing it

Given any thought to putting your work up in the FAQ?

odd

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-14-16/1806:51> »
I added an entry for Drugs and augmented maximums and where to find size modifiers.  Should folks post here when they update?
« Last Edit: <02-14-16/1906:03> by odd »

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #7 on: <02-14-16/1923:06> »
I added an entry for Drugs and augmented maximums and where to find size modifiers.  Should folks post here when they update?
Nah. There's no reason to put it in both places and eventually it will get pretty fleshed out.

If the GM Screen videos illustrate an area well, linked out to them is a good Community Decision.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-15-16/0415:45> »
You could add a 4th source to that; Missions FAQ.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #9 on: <02-16-16/0902:37> »
My kneejerk was to say that counts as Word of Catalyst, but you're right  - that's a separate source and basically is a table-level source. This ranks it at about the same level of weight as community decision - it's just a very specific community.

CoyoteNZ

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <02-16-16/1536:54> »
Great idea.

Question though; if we have a question about the answer in the wiki, and want to discuss it, do you want us to
A. Leave comments in the wiki page
B. Leave comments here in this thread
C. Leave comments here, in its own thread?

Cheers

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #11 on: <02-16-16/1604:38> »
I'd go with it's own thread in the Rules Forum. Once it is figured out (tm), put the answer up and link to that thread.

Secondarily, I'm mainly doing editing on things at the moment. I've noticed at least one behavior that I'm not a huge fan of - putting advice about how to GM things inside a question. That's more editorializing a rule interpretation. Instead, I want this wiki to be as much cut and dried "These are the rules" with little to no editorializing. I will move things like that into comments on the question/answer.

This is not a platform to talk or advise ways to run things. That muddies the water. This is a place to put rulings to commonly asked questions and what basis that ruling is on.

CoyoteNZ

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <02-16-16/1942:22> »
I'd go with it's own thread in the Rules Forum. Once it is figured out (tm), put the answer up and link to that thread

This is not a platform to talk or advise ways to run things. That muddies the water. This is a place to put rulings to commonly asked questions and what basis that ruling is on.

Based on the above, is it possible to turn off the comments section on the wiki, otherwise I can see people getting into debates over rules in the wiki, where this forum is really the place that should be.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #13 on: <02-17-16/1014:50> »
Based on the above, is it possible to turn off the comments section on the wiki, otherwise I can see people getting into debates over rules in the wiki, where this forum is really the place that should be.
I can, but that's kind of the nuclear option. I'd rather have somewhere people can discuss, then I can redirect and delete instead of people not knowing what to do.

RacoonSF

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <02-19-16/1159:14> »
Great job, Falar!

What about another category?

"Word of Hero Lab"

To my understanding, the Hero Labs developers are in close contact with Catalyst, so it's kind of semi-offical.