NEWS

A quick shout out to the SR5 Matrix rules

• 198 Replies

Aaron

« Reply #150 on: <06-21-13/1727:15> »
The test to resist being spotted is Sleaze + ... um ... Logic? Anyway, there's a lot fewer hits and possibly a high risk of glitches if you don't have a Sleaze attribute. And if it actually is Logic, your typical gillette or heavy-hitter isn't going to do well with the test.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #151 on: <06-21-13/1728:30> »
The test to resist being spotted is Sleaze + ... um ... Logic? Anyway, there's a lot fewer hits and possibly a high risk of glitches if you don't have a Sleaze attribute. And if it actually is Logic, your typical gillette or heavy-hitter isn't going to do well with the test.

Really? I would have suspected Logic + Hacking with Sleaze as a cap...

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #152 on: <06-21-13/1827:53> »
If they want it to be attemptable without a Sleaze attribute, then it can't use Sleaze as it's limit.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #153 on: <06-21-13/1901:02> »
It's a Hide Matrix action, and it's Electronics Warefare + Intuition [Sleaze] vs Intuition + Data Processing.

Aaron

« Reply #154 on: <06-21-13/1932:48> »
I thought Hide was for shaking off spotting, not resisting Matrix Perception when running silent.

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #155 on: <06-21-13/1934:36> »
I thought Hide was for shaking off spotting, not resisting Matrix Perception when running silent.

Define what you mean by "shaking off spotting" because honestly I don't think you can do any "hiding" of that sort at all in 5E.

DamienHollow

« Reply #156 on: <06-21-13/1935:45> »
Cheapest deck is supposed to be 50k

Good lord. What's the price scaling on these things if that's a Rating 1? Even if device ratings have dropped by one across the board it's still probably cheaper to boost your Response and Signal than it would be for someone to get a deck good enough to get through.

Glaive

• Newb
« Reply #157 on: <06-21-13/1938:35> »
Cheapest deck is supposed to be 50k

Good lord. What's the price scaling on these things if that's a Rating 1? Even if device ratings have dropped by one across the board it's still probably cheaper to boost your Response and Signal than it would be for someone to get a deck good enough to get through.
I think I read that its supposed to be device rating 4, not 1.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #158 on: <06-21-13/1942:58> »

You're right.  I misread the original question.

You were right the first time.  It's a defensive opposed test, and when doing defensive tests, you use the appropriate deck rating plus an attribute.  Kind of like you use two attributes to dodge and attribute plus armor to resist damage.

Define what you mean by "shaking off spotting" because honestly I don't think you can do any "hiding" of that sort at all in 5E.

If someone spots you while you are running silently, you can attempt to lose them by using a Hide action.

Whole new paradigm.  Response and Signal no longer exist.  The only four matrix attributes now are Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, and Firewall.

Commlinks run between 100¥ and 8000¥ and only have Data Processing and Firewall, but cannot hack or run decking programs. (You no longer need programs to do things like data search and such).

Cyberdecks, on the other hand, also have Attack and Sleaze attributes, which you must have to do any kind of hacking.  These run between 50,000¥ and 825,000¥.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #159 on: <06-21-13/1946:05> »
ALso, while Cyberdecks have a Device Rating, this is just a general ballpark of the devices power level. It also tells you how many programs the deck can run at any one time.  They have an array of numbers that they can assign to the four attributes (and can move around as needed using an action).  The Device Rating 1 deck, the Erika MCD-1, for example, is a Device Rating 1, but has a 4 3 2 1 Array.  So you can have Attack 4, Sleaze 1, Data Processing 2, and Firewall 3.  Or switch up Attack and Sleaze, or whatever.

Programs generally provide some sort of bonus or utility when they're being run now, rather than being required to do certain matrix actions.

DamienHollow

« Reply #160 on: <06-21-13/1951:16> »
Okay, why the change?  Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, and Firewall... Data Processing i assume to be the closest to Response (hardware capability) Attack and Firewall would be software... What on earth is Sleaze? Now of course these assumptions all go out the window if programs and hardware have both been replaced by dedicated firmware. It would also mean upgrades and new autosofts would be like plunging in an old NES cartridge. Also, if we don;t have signal then how do we know the range of our Wifi?

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #161 on: <06-21-13/1955:19> »
Range= Until you suffer so much static your dice pool hits 0. So far as I can tell.

DamienHollow

« Reply #162 on: <06-21-13/1956:16> »
I have the quick start rules and don't recall rules for static.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #163 on: <06-21-13/2007:54> »
Yup.  Range is near infinite, but distance applies Noise penalties (As does other things).  Noise is similar to normal sight modifiers and penalties, or even backgroudn count in Astral Space.

And as for why?  To streamline and simplify the new Matrix even further.

Attack is, well, you're ability to impart Brute Force hacking on things, whether by damage or simply overpowering.

Sleaze is an old term from previous decking systems.  It's your stealth rating.  If you want to do something sneaky and you haven't been detected yet, you use Sleaze.

Data Processing is your processing power. It governs a whole range of things.

Firewall is Firewall, your defense.

And Quick Start Rules are VASTLY simplified.  There's a LOT that's not in there.

Bull

DamienHollow

« Reply #164 on: <06-21-13/2015:06> »
So are these all considered to be hard, soft, or firmware? I mean i get Response (Hardware processing capability,) Signal (Wifi/radio strength/range), System (Operating System, a program.) and then all of your software. But now how does everything stack, what's dependent on what?